Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get where you're coming from, RCA. For the greater good and all that. I understand it. But sometimes the greater good just isn't important.

A poll in December found that only 43% of Americans supported the border wall with about 55% opposing it. Americans, overwhelmingly, do not support the building of a border wall. So why should democrats fund it when most don't want it? Republicans should be the ones giving in here, even a sizable chunk of their own base doesn't want the damn thing.

Dems aren't the least bit at fault for this shutdown. This is entirely on Trump and the republicans. I'm not going to blame democrats for doing what the people want.

Comment

Just a reminder that shutting down the government has been a more and more common Republican tactic as time went on. Continuing to cave in makes government shutdowns a more viable strategy.

Whether or not the wall should be built, we can't encourage this shit or it'll keep on happening.
      Originally posted by Wade
      Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

• OrganizationXV
        OrganizationXV commented
        Editing a comment
        Just to clarify, RCA, you're right that both sides are making a choice to go through with this. That doesn't mean that they're equally guilty here. One side definitely made the call for action, here.

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
      Just a reminder that shutting down the government has been a more and more common Republican tactic as time went on. Continuing to cave in makes government shutdowns a more viable strategy.

Whether or not the wall should be built, we can't encourage this shit or it'll keep on happening.
      That's true as well and is another reason why democrats shouldn't cave. Neither party should be attaching stuff to these mandatory spending bills. These bills exist for one purpose and one purpose alone, to fund vital government operations. Not to push an agenda. You want some new project funded or an existing project defunded? Put it through regularly, on it's own, so congress can decide if it stands in it's own merits.

Don't hold the goddamn government and federal workers hostage for it. If you can't get your shit passed the normal way, then tough shit, do better next time.
      Last edited by Cid; January 7th, 2019, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• -Person-
        -Person- commented
        Editing a comment
        Especially not during the holiday season

Not trying to dogpile you RussianCoffeeAddict, I'm just saying is all.
      Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
        It's pretty ridiculous. At least the bulk of Hillary supporters could take some criticism. You criticize Donald Trump around a republican and they squeal like you shot them in the ass. This morning I posted on a thing on facebook about Melania asking for prayers for her husband. Said she was probably doing it because she knew he was about to be locked up. And these motherfuckers are like "don't be ugly." lmao. Like they're not the ones that were chanting "lock her up" like inbred retards every time Hillary was even mentioned. lol

Conservatives are the real snowflakes.
        So... Just to reiterate, conservatives are definitely the real snowflakes.

I just offended one enough that her opinion of me is now less simply because I said "republicans are trash."

Yikes.

Comment

RussianCoffeeAddict

Don't you just love it when Fox News fact checks the Trump admin? Because I sure do.

Comment

RussianCoffeeAddict

Don't you just love it when Fox News fact checks the Trump admin? Because I sure do.
            I don't even watch Cable News (anymore, at least).

I just restrict myself to some select news sites (or certain political commentary sites).
            Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; January 7th, 2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

I don't even watch Cable News (anymore, at least).

I just restrict myself to some select news sites (or certain political commentary sites).
              The contents of the fact check was fairly relevant to our prior conversation, that's why I posted it.

Even Fox News agrees that the border wall is dumb. lol

Comment

The contents of the fact check was fairly relevant to our prior conversation, that's why I posted it.

Even Fox News agrees that the border wall is dumb. lol
                Well, I never said it wasn't (in fact, I said its stupidity could probably help Democrats some).

Just that I'd take it over the fuss going on in the government.

Comment

I think it speaks volumes about our president that you'll admit the border wall isn't a good idea but will still say democrats should fund it.

I guess that's where our opinions diverge, really. You'd rather the dems give in but I'd rather Trump have an attempt made on his life by an angry federal worker and give up out of fear for his own well-being.

We'll see which happens first.

Comment

Hes gonna have give in soon, the shut down is killing his popularity, and things are gonna get ugly if folks dont get their tax returns on time.

Comment

In other news...and this is a bit late...China's apparently decided to start pushing into space more.

And of course, we've got our "Space Force" as of late (well, the attempted start-up of it).

Think we're headed for another space race...?

Comment

In other news...and this is a bit late...China's apparently decided to start pushing into space more.

And of course, we've got our "Space Force" as of late (well, the attempted start-up of it).

Probably, although we definitely don't need another time sink

Comment

No. lol

China is interested in space exploration and, likely, privatizing space travel in the near future. The "Space Force" was a distraction and a farce and will yield substantial results before it gets shuttered by the next administration.

Comment

So Trump is getting to do a speech from the Oval Office today at 9pm EST, aka prime time TV. wtf?

He gets to go on TV to talk about immigration but they wouldn't allow Obama in the past to talk about Immigration on TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                              So Trump is getting to do a speech from the Oval Office today at 9pm EST, aka prime time TV. wtf?

He gets to go on TV to talk about immigration but they wouldn't allow Obama in the past to talk about Immigration on TV?
                              Well, if "they" is the network Trump will be on, they're giving him an opportunity to say something stupid so they have something to talk about for the next while.

Comment

I'm sort of playing around with the idea of doing a youtube channel for politics or maybe just a podcast or something similar. I don't really get to discuss politics offline since none of my friends/family irl are interested enough (or smart enough) to talk the talk with me, but all the typing and lack of actual human interaction just doesn't make it as fun or productive. Would any of you guys be interested in participating in something like that? Maybe once a week or every other week? Doesn't even have to be anything formal, just a casual chat that doesn't even have to strictly be political. (though politics would be the primary theme)

Comment

Trump Bingo! For tonight.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/was...peech-edition/

EDIT: These are more recent but there is only 1 bingo card in each link.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90289769...the-falsehoods
                                  https://www.wibc.com/blogs/hammer-an...-address-bingo
                                  Last edited by Kajin_Style; January 8th, 2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

a wall by february that's the announcement

Comment

considering all the pro-construction dogwhistles it might be a late january wall

Comment

Working...
                                      X