Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T5 Official Discussion: The Trump Presidency

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I dunno if it's worth making a thread about it, but what do we think of Kavenaugh? Is he Trump's pawn to avoid impeachment or might he be a decent judge?

    Do we even have decent judges, or does everybody basically vote according to the party that got them in?
    (Just waiting for another set)

    Comment


      Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
      I dunno if it's worth making a thread about it, but what do we think of Kavenaugh? Is he Trump's pawn to avoid impeachment or might he be a decent judge?

      Do we even have decent judges, or does everybody basically vote according to the party that got them in?
      I was trying to keep up with the information coming out of the confirmation hearings. I watched several clips between him and senators.

      I get the feeling that he's hiding a lot. When Sen. Harris asked him if he had ever discussed Mueller's investigation with the lawfirm Trump uses, Kavenaugh essentially refused to answer it and spent about 10 minutes trying to dance around the question. And then the whole thing with Sen. Booker wondering why so much of Kavenaugh's record is being kept from the public.

      From what I've seen, I don't like him.

      Even if there wasn't so much crap going on... Kavenaugh is pretty dang conservative. And sitting him on the supreme court is going to push the whole court much further to the right. The chief justice will become the swing vote, the same cheif justice that almost always sides with the conservative justices in rulings. It's going to create a nightmare for any liberal cases.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Cid View Post

        I get the feeling that he's hiding a lot. When Sen. Harris asked him if he had ever discussed Mueller's investigation with the lawfirm Trump uses, Kavenaugh essentially refused to answer it and spent about 10 minutes trying to dance around the question..
        I would non-patronizingly suggest you check out other events like this, it's common for the judges to give as nothing answers as possible because it can hurt them if they look to strong on a certain issue.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Cid View Post

          I was trying to keep up with the information coming out of the confirmation hearings. I watched several clips between him and senators.

          I get the feeling that he's hiding a lot. When Sen. Harris asked him if he had ever discussed Mueller's investigation with the lawfirm Trump uses, Kavenaugh essentially refused to answer it and spent about 10 minutes trying to dance around the question. And then the whole thing with Sen. Booker wondering why so much of Kavenaugh's record is being kept from the public.

          From what I've seen, I don't like him.

          Even if there wasn't so much crap going on... Kavenaugh is pretty dang conservative. And sitting him on the supreme court is going to push the whole court much further to the right. The chief justice will become the swing vote, the same cheif justice that almost always sides with the conservative justices in rulings. It's going to create a nightmare for any liberal cases.
          I definitely side with the dems, that they dumped way too much on the justices with not enough time but still held way too much back. I think it was fucked up how one of the conservatives's questions was basically "Explain how the justice system works as though I were in high school", and a couple of times the questioning was basically other judges throwing him a lifeline. He talked a lot about keeping to the constitution, but of course he would- what else is he supposed to say? I also noticed that he had a photographic memory of cases and precedence but he had no memory of most of his own career...
          (Just waiting for another set)

          Comment


            Originally posted by A New Soul View Post

            I would non-patronizingly suggest you check out other events like this, it's common for the judges to give as nothing answers as possible because it can hurt them if they look to strong on a certain issue.
            i understand that non-answers are pretty common. But this specific one was bad. If Kavenaugh has any personal involvement in Mueller's investigation, he would need to recuse himself from any deliberation involving it. The fact that he would neither confirm or deny it under oath is troubling and sets a bad precedence for the future.

            Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
            I definitely side with the dems, that they dumped way too much on the justices with not enough time but still held way too much back. I think it was fucked up how one of the conservatives's questions was basically "Explain how the justice system works as though I were in high school", and a couple of times the questioning was basically other judges throwing him a lifeline. He talked a lot about keeping to the constitution, but of course he would- what else is he supposed to say? I also noticed that he had a photographic memory of cases and precedence but he had no memory of most of his own career...
            Did you see the bit where the one republican spent a portion of his time asking Kavenaugh why he wrote his notes with a sharpie? The republicans were a goddamn disgrace. They weren't even hiding the fact that the hearings were just a formality for them. Regardless of what happened, they always intended to confirm him. It's disgusting, honestly.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Cid View Post
              Did you see the bit where the one republican spent a portion of his time asking Kavenaugh why he wrote his notes with a sharpie? The republicans were a goddamn disgrace. They weren't even hiding the fact that the hearings were just a formality for them. Regardless of what happened, they always intended to confirm him. It's disgusting, honestly.
              That would be hilarious if it were a parody of real life. As it stands, yeah. That's pretty fucked.

              Originally posted by A New Soul View Post

              I would non-patronizingly suggest you check out other events like this, it's common for the judges to give as nothing answers as possible because it can hurt them if they look to strong on a certain issue.
              And trust me, I get that. That's why I'm wondering if all hearings are this obviously BS (People get hired because they can be trusted to vote red or blue, but they're being brought to a non-partisan position).
              (Just waiting for another set)

              Comment


                Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                I dunno if it's worth making a thread about it, but what do we think of Kavenaugh? Is he Trump's pawn to avoid impeachment or might he be a decent judge?

                Do we even have decent judges, or does everybody basically vote according to the party that got them in?
                From what I gather he's pretty staunchly in favor of a strong presidency over congress as well as practically giving blowjobs to whatever corporate whims land on his desk.


                so basically a garbage political move on Trump's part. and a massive win for corporate interests and the republican party's elite.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by A New Soul View Post

                  I would non-patronizingly suggest you check out other events like this, it's common for the judges to give as nothing answers as possible because it can hurt them if they look to strong on a certain issue.
                  I would non-patronizingly suggest you felate the barrel of a loaded 12 gauge.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
                    I would non-patronizingly suggest you felate the barrel of a loaded 12 gauge.
                    He'd probably like it.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
                      I would non-patronizingly suggest you felate the barrel of a loaded 12 gauge.
                      To be fair, he's not wrong this time, is he?
                      (Just waiting for another set)

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

                        To be fair, he's not wrong this time, is he?
                        It's the context, since Souls is likely implying that my concerns weren't valid reasons to deny the confirmation.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Cid View Post

                          It's the context, since Souls is likely implying that my concerns weren't valid reasons to deny the confirmation.
                          I'm just saying, all he said was that it was common for this kind of shit to happen. I'd at least wait for his opinion before offering for him to give a blowjob to a shotgun.
                          (Just waiting for another set)

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

                            To be fair, he's not wrong this time, is he?
                            Even correct statements become falsehoods once spoken by Souls.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Cid View Post



                              Post-Crisis Shob I thought you'd appreciate these quality FB posts from my former pastor.
                              ...bless his heart...

                              (thats what Southerners say when they want to call someone fucking retarded but be polite about it, right?)

                              Comment




                                D-did Fox News just fact-check Donald Trump?

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Cid View Post


                                  D-did Fox News just fact-check Donald Trump?
                                  It has begun! When Fox News start questioning the things Trump has said, it is time for people to wake da fuck up!


                                  Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
                                  I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

                                  Comment


                                  • A New Soul
                                    A New Soul commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    They've been doing that since pre-election tho

                                  https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/...rump-election/

                                  Comment


                                    Ok?

                                    I read Breitbart's write up of the video (why would I ever read Breitbart again?) and I can't see anything particularly concerning or even all that bad. So what's the deal here? Is there something I'm supposed to be upset about?

                                    Comment


                                      This... motherfucker...






                                      Puerto Rico finally got all its power turned on in AUGUST! Last fucking month! Yet he still can't grasp how dire the situation was. This guy can't admit whenever he's wrong or has failed. Seriously, wtf.

                                      Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
                                      I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                                        This... motherfucker...

                                        Puerto Rico finally got all its power turned on in AUGUST! Last fucking month! Yet he still can't grasp how dire the situation was. This guy can't admit whenever he's wrong or has failed. Seriously, wtf.
                                        Dude's an egomaniac, and he survives on idiots believing everything he says. Of course he's gonna take credit for a great job that didn't happen.
                                        (Just waiting for another set)

                                        Comment

                                        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                        Auto-Saved
                                        x
                                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                        x

                                        Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

                                        Registration Image Refresh Image
                                        Working...
                                        X