X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helly
    replied
    Originally posted by One of Them View Post
    You're mixing two different things. A sport/gaming event is different from a concert in that a concert seeks to entertain the audience with pieces of music while the former is quite simply multiple teams playing against each other, and people just happen to want to watch it. Players intend to win, not satisfy; whether or not the audience is entertained is accidental.
    Well, no, not at a higher level, which is what we're talking about here. At a higher level, it's musicians watching other musicians perform amazing inhuman feats of raw talent and practice. This is particularly true of "[song name] Drum Cover" videos, or guitar, vocal, bass, etc. With filthy casuals, the explanation is much simpler: it's just entertainment, like watching any other TV show except the stakes are heightened because (in theory, barring things like fixed games) the competition is real and the outcome isn't always a certainty. There's a whole other level of thrill to be appreciated from that than from watching a protagonist in plot armor overcome his or her 11th antagonist in a scripted TV series.

I would see your point if the person watching is trying to learn to play better.
    Like I said, even if they're not trying to get better at that specifically, humans are fascinated by tales of adversity. It's why we have the entertainment that we do, watching it play out in the real world makes it that much more....real.

No more so than if you were playing yourself, unless the team's fame and money reward were a factor into the enertainment value.
    That's not the point, there are still stakes involved.

But I dare say the majority rather watch than play.
    Well, not everyone has the time to become a pro, dude.

I'm not talking about reaction, review, or commentary. I'm not asking whether there is appeal to it, because there cleary is. I'm asking if you understand the appeal of watching someone just eat your favorite food.
    Yes, I understand the appeal, it's no different than watching a favourite movie with a friend who has never seen it before. Humans are higjly sociable creatures, they enjoy exchanging thoughts and ideas. This is something that was extremely critical for the survival of our tribes at one point, and watching strangers appreciate thethings we know of and value is pretty much an extension of that innate desire to share and benefit each other.

Leave a comment:

• One of Them
    replied

Originally posted by Helly View Post
    ​​​​​​You're not paying attention to my comment. I'm talking about the live performance aspect for a reason, not just the end product. It's watching people perform at a higher level that is its own form of entertainment and/or art appreciation.
    You're mixing two different things. A sport/gaming event is different from a concert in that a concert seeks to entertain the audience with pieces of music while the former is quite simply multiple teams playing against each other, and people just happen to want to watch it. Players intend to win, not satisfy; whether or not the audience is entertained is accidental.

Like I said, the point is appreciating these things at a higher level.
    I would see your point if the person watching is trying to learn to play better.

The element of competition heightens the entertainment value even further because there are actual stakes involved.
    No more so than if you were playing yourself, unless the team's fame and money reward were a factor into the enertainment value.

And it's not like these people stop playing their games altogether.
    But I dare say the majority rather watch than play.

Yes, actually, react channels can be pretty fascinating to me as someone interested in the human mind. Even from an objective point of view, reaction channels are actually pretty popular, so obviously there's an appeal there. It's not the same appeal that moves someone to watch a game between Kasparov and Carlson, or Brazil and Germany, but there is an appeal all the same.
    I'm not talking about reaction, review, or commentary. I'm not asking whether there is appeal to it, because there cleary is. I'm asking if you understand the appeal of watching someone just eat your favorite food.
    Last edited by One of Them; August 10th, 2019, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Helly
    replied
    Music is meant to be listened to. Food is to be tasted. Drawings, movies, theater performances are meant to be watched and/or heard. Games are designed to be played.
    You're not paying attention to my comment. I'm talking about the live performance aspect for a reason, not just the end product. It's watching people perform at a higher level that is its own form of entertainment and/or art appreciation.

And I understand that in people that watch the sports or games that they play. I don't understand the idea of preferring to watch a couple of strangers do what is designed to be played rather than playing it yourself.
    Like I said, the point is appreciating these things at a higher level. The element of competition heightens the entertainment value even further because there are actual stakes involved. And it's not like these people stop playing their games altogether.

Is you opinion, but answer me this: do you see the appeal of watching videos of people eating your favorite foods?
    Yes, actually, react channels can be pretty fascinating to me as someone interested in the human mind. Even from an objective point of view, reaction channels are actually pretty popular, so obviously there's an appeal there. It's not the same appeal that moves someone to watch a game between Kasparov and Carlson, or Brazil and Germany, but there is an appeal all the same.

Leave a comment:

• One of Them
    replied
    Originally posted by Helly View Post
    You could apply this to basically any form of life performance, though....music concerts, live drawing/painting sessions, dance/opera, the list goes on and on. They're all activities you could do yourself especially if you're an exceptionally talented person, but it's still interesting watching these things be done on a high level even if you do practice these things yourself.
    Music is meant to be listened to. Food is to be tasted. Drawings, movies, theater performances are meant to be watched and/or heard. Games are designed to be played.

In fact it should be doubly fascinating for anyone who wants to become better at their craft. Just look at chess - a huge part of getting better at that game will be learning what the pros are doing and trying to adopt some of their techniques into your playing.
    And I understand that in people that watch the sports or games that they play. I don't understand the idea of preferring to watch a couple of strangers do what is designed to be played rather than playing it yourself.

And watching the greatest individuals perform in something you care about is its own form of art appreciation, undoubtedly. This is why so many people do it, and why they will continue onwards forever. If you don't understand, then something is fundamentally flawed with your idea of what it is that is being appreciated.
    Is you opinion, but answer me this: do you see the appeal of watching videos of people eating your favorite foods?

Leave a comment:

• The Poster Formerly Known as Teal
    replied
    but weebs arent oppressed

Leave a comment:

• Helly
    replied
    I dunno, maybe there is no such competition as of yet that is entertaining enough to be enjoyed as a spectator alone. I rather play myself than watch strangers do it unless I were gambling or something
    You could apply this to basically any form of life performance, though....music concerts, live drawing/painting sessions, dance/opera, the list goes on and on. They're all activities you could do yourself especially if you're an exceptionally talented person, but it's still interesting watching these things be done on a high level even if you do practice these things yourself. In fact it should be doubly fascinating for anyone who wants to become better at their craft. Just look at chess - a huge part of getting better at that game will be learning what the pros are doing and trying to adopt some of their techniques into your playing. And watching the greatest individuals perform in something you care about is its own form of art appreciation, undoubtedly. This is why so many people do it, and why they will continue onwards forever. If you don't understand, then something is fundamentally flawed with your idea of what it is that is being appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• One of Them
    replied
    Originally posted by Don Tigris View Post
    Yeah sounds pretty boring watching super athletes do their sport. I’d rather just go kick a ball around myself and have more fun being mediocre
    What I understand from this post: you watch sports to admire players that play in ways that you can't or don't plan to achieve. Correct me

Leave a comment:

• Don Tigris
    replied
    Yeah sounds pretty boring watching super athletes do their sport. I’d rather just go kick a ball around myself and have more fun being mediocre

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Scientist
    commented on 's reply
    little princess/ serial killer. And yeah he's courage except he does look dangerous at least but like I said it would be the cat ninja-ing people from the rafters protecting the family if anything every went down

• Lord L'Zoril
    commented on 's reply
    Ooh, right. Boy or girl? I think being an only child would suck, but I guess the most important thing is how well off you are. Pointless having multiple kids if you can't support them.

LOL, you literally own "Courage" irl.
    Last edited by Lord L'Zoril; August 9th, 2019, 07:25 PM.

• Dr. Scientist
    commented on 's reply
    Child lol just the one, I might give in for number two somewhere down the line but for now just one

Edit: unless you count the dog he's a big baby too, the cat would be the one to protect the house from intruders and his big ass would be hiding
    Last edited by Dr. Scientist; August 9th, 2019, 07:09 PM.

• Lord L'Zoril
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Scientist:
    You're married with children now? Wow, time flies, huh? Well, congratulations. MvC feels like a whole other lifetime.

And yeah, man. This place is as terrible as ever, with 90% less activity than before! After saying your hellos to everyone, you should probably leave again for x years with the remnants of your soul that are still intact while you still can.

• Louay
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    dude had to be better then 40 million or so other people and he won what was it 3 mill?

Hate em or not pro gamers have skill that normal people don't and they get paid for it
    Yeah, this is especially true in RTS games like Starcraft, where there are some players with crazy high actions per minute and reaction speed. How many people in the world can average 10 clicks a second across an entire tournament all the while being the best player at that game?
    Last edited by Louay; August 9th, 2019, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Scientist
    commented on 's reply
    life man just life moved to a different state then moved back a year later got married had a kid got a dog got two new nieces and one nephew (my little brothers been putting in work lol) and now that I'm settled I decided to see what was up

same old same old I see

Edit: theres a cat somewhere around here too

• EnemyOfDaState
    replied
    The funny part about this is that I had someone tell me that this shows gaming is as viable a career path as Football or Basketball and parents will start pushing their kids into gaming. This kid had to beat out millions of other people to get into the tournament and then win a 100 man tournament to make $3 million, Sheldon Mack is a garbage NBA player who averaged 2 points a game last year on one of the worst teams and barely plays.... he made $2.4 million.

Leave a comment:

• Lord L'Zoril
    commented on 's reply
    Nm, it's good to see ya. You left super abruptly and I was kinda worried about one of my first e-buddehs. :O How you been tho?

• Dr. Scientist
    commented on 's reply
    sup

• Lord L'Zoril
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    dude had to be better then 40 million or so other people and he won what was it 3 mill?

Hate em or not pro gamers have skill that normal people don't and they get paid for it
    hi :]

Originally posted by Nerise View Post
    I agree with the gamers are the new weebs
    If anything its a gateway to weeb world
    Shameful.
    Last edited by Lord L'Zoril; August 9th, 2019, 06:39 PM. Reason: wtf lmao

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Scientist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OsamaBinBallin
    replied
    I agree with the gamers are the new weebs
    If anything its a gateway to weeb world

Leave a comment:

Working...
X