Gamers are the new weebs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helly View Post
    You're not paying attention to my comment. I'm talking about the live performance aspect for a reason, not just the end product. It's watching people perform at a higher level that is its own form of entertainment and/or art appreciation.
    You're mixing two different things. A sport/gaming event is different from a concert in that a concert seeks to entertain the audience with pieces of music while the former is quite simply multiple teams playing against each other, and people just happen to want to watch it. Players intend to win, not satisfy; whether or not the audience is entertained is accidental.

Like I said, the point is appreciating these things at a higher level.
    I would see your point if the person watching is trying to learn to play better.

The element of competition heightens the entertainment value even further because there are actual stakes involved.
    No more so than if you were playing yourself, unless the team's fame and money reward were a factor into the enertainment value.

And it's not like these people stop playing their games altogether.
    But I dare say the majority rather watch than play.

Yes, actually, react channels can be pretty fascinating to me as someone interested in the human mind. Even from an objective point of view, reaction channels are actually pretty popular, so obviously there's an appeal there. It's not the same appeal that moves someone to watch a game between Kasparov and Carlson, or Brazil and Germany, but there is an appeal all the same.
    I'm not talking about reaction, review, or commentary. I'm not asking whether there is appeal to it, because there cleary is. I'm asking if you understand the appeal of watching someone just eat your favorite food.
    Last edited by One of Them; August 10th, 2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One of Them View Post
      You're mixing two different things. A sport/gaming event is different from a concert in that a concert seeks to entertain the audience with pieces of music while the former is quite simply multiple teams playing against each other, and people just happen to want to watch it. Players intend to win, not satisfy; whether or not the audience is entertained is accidental.
      Well, no, not at a higher level, which is what we're talking about here. At a higher level, it's musicians watching other musicians perform amazing inhuman feats of raw talent and practice. This is particularly true of "[song name] Drum Cover" videos, or guitar, vocal, bass, etc. With filthy casuals, the explanation is much simpler: it's just entertainment, like watching any other TV show except the stakes are heightened because (in theory, barring things like fixed games) the competition is real and the outcome isn't always a certainty. There's a whole other level of thrill to be appreciated from that than from watching a protagonist in plot armor overcome his or her 11th antagonist in a scripted TV series.

I would see your point if the person watching is trying to learn to play better.
      Like I said, even if they're not trying to get better at that specifically, humans are fascinated by tales of adversity. It's why we have the entertainment that we do, watching it play out in the real world makes it that much more....real.

No more so than if you were playing yourself, unless the team's fame and money reward were a factor into the enertainment value.
      That's not the point, there are still stakes involved.

But I dare say the majority rather watch than play.
      Well, not everyone has the time to become a pro, dude.

I'm not talking about reaction, review, or commentary. I'm not asking whether there is appeal to it, because there cleary is. I'm asking if you understand the appeal of watching someone just eat your favorite food.
      Yes, I understand the appeal, it's no different than watching a favourite movie with a friend who has never seen it before. Humans are higjly sociable creatures, they enjoy exchanging thoughts and ideas. This is something that was extremely critical for the survival of our tribes at one point, and watching strangers appreciate thethings we know of and value is pretty much an extension of that innate desire to share and benefit each other.

Comment

Working...
      X