Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youtube to remove thousands of videos pushing extreme views

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/b...st-videos.html

I'm of two minds....You see, I'm not a free speech absolutist. In the case of dishonest actors, like Alex Jones or similar people who knowingly spread misinformation and are as dishonest as possible, I don't care what happens to them. So, the "bad-faith actors" bit, I'm in favour of. Kick them off the platform, they don't contribute anything useful and worse yet do damage to discourse.

What gives me pause is the "white supremacy" bit, and that's because even big sites like Wiki like to conflate white nationalism with white supremacy all the time which is extremely annoying.

In general, I don't understand these people. They see the rise of authoritarianism worldwide from both sides, and their response is to become even more authoritarian. Like....what do they expect will be the result of this? It won't be the death of the far-right, I can guarantee that much.

Originally posted by Kajin_Style
    Completely denouncing every bit of evidence I present WITHOUT any counter evidence to point to the contrary is not logic; it's outright denial.
    I'm sure you'll come up with some debunking excuse.

The State should seize Youtube for itself.
    Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
    Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

• Aure0lin
      Aure0lin commented
      Editing a comment
      cringe

In general, banning anyone with extreme views (rather than spreaders of false info, which could also probably be somewhat slippery...) tends to not really solve the problem in regards to them spreading their views.

In fact, it usually just means they go into their own alcoves people in the mainstream can’t be bothered with and prey on society’s stragglers, so to say.

It’s the nature of these extreme groups. They find people in bad situations, and radicalize them; give them something to latch onto and give them “purpose.”

They don’t tend to be very big, and their growth rate isn’t too large, but alas, this kind of tactic doesn’t stop them in any significant capacity besides removing their presence from your space (unless you’re actively seeking these people out).

In fact, it usually removes a lot of discourse against them, and at the same time lets these groups recruit more unstable members than the people in the mainstream...
    Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 5th, 2019, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I clicked on a few right wing/alt right videos posted on here and now I can't get these political videos out of my recommendations.

Comment

having "white nationalists" on their platform isn't a good look for their brand, surprisingly enough.

Comment

Anyone who calls themselves a """"white nationalist"""" should get shot regardless
          Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
            Anyone who calls themselves a """"white nationalist"""" should get shot regardless
            i thought europe banned all guns

Comment

Originally posted by Don Tigris View Post
              I clicked on a few right wing/alt right videos posted on here and now I can't get these political videos out of my recommendations.
              just click the "not interested" option. I did that when Contrapoints' tranny lgbt shit kept popping up in my reccs, hsvent seen him in months now

Originally posted by Max View Post
              having "white nationalists" on their platform isn't a good look for their brand, surprisingly enough.

The problem is that this came about around a time when a Vox """"journalist"""" got into a spat with some right winger rando. YT originally sided with the rando and said they didnt breakbthe rules, the Vox fag made a coordinated stink during gay pride month or whatever, the press came down hard on YT and now we're here.

so yea this isnt just about WN's, you literally cant bully autismos anymore because they'll cry and have you de-person'd from the internet.

arent you gay and a nationalist

Completely denouncing every bit of evidence I present WITHOUT any counter evidence to point to the contrary is not logic; it's outright denial.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

just click the "not interested" option. I did that when Contrapoints' tranny lgbt shit kept popping up in my reccs, hsvent seen him in months now
                Where’s the “not interested” option by any chance...?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

Where’s the “not interested” option by any chance...?
                  at the corner of any vid that shows up on the recommended list, there's a button you can click on that looks like a verticle ellipsis (three periods). click on it, it'll expand a menu that includes the "Not Interested" option.

Comment

at the corner of any vid that shows up on the recommended list, there's a button you can click on that looks like a verticle ellipsis (three periods). click on it, it'll expand a menu that includes the "Not Interested" option.
                    Thanks. I’ve found myself flooded with recommendations for months from things I can’t care about because I clicked on like one thing this one time, lol.

Comment

Also, from the sounds of it, I really hope it’s not gonna be this one-sided effort where only a particular subset of extremists are getting knocked off the platform while some other asshole gets to preach their bullshit nonstop.

That will only unnecessarily embitter people, and considering the current environment where being on the internet (and more importantly, the parts of it where these mass e-purges are happening) is the only way to really get your voice out...it won’t breed good things, on top of failing to work...
                      Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 6th, 2019, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Does this include the clickbait videos?

Comment

The problem is that this came about around a time when a Vox """"journalist"""" got into a spat with some right winger rando. YT originally sided with the rando and said they didnt breakbthe rules, the Vox fag made a coordinated stink during gay pride month or whatever, the press came down hard on YT and now we're here.

so yea this isnt just about WN's, you literally cant bully autismos anymore because they'll cry and have you de-person'd from the internet.

arent you gay and a nationalist
                        Im not a """"white nationalist""""

Comment

Also, from the sounds of it, I really hope it’s not gonna be this one-sided effort where only a particular subset of extremists are getting knocked off the platform while some other asshole gets to preach their bullshit nonstop.

That will only unnecessarily embitter people, and considering the current environment where being on the internet (and more importantly, the parts of it where these mass e-purges are happening) is the only way to really get your voice out...it won’t breed good things, on top of failing to work...
                          Youtube probably doesnt intend it that way, but that's what these """"""journalists"""""" want. The gay retard who started all this was publicly encouraging the continued physical assault against right-wing figures, but none of his buddies from Vox, Huffpo, or Guardian are going to say shit about that.

Originally posted by Thar View Post
                          Does this include the clickbait videos?
                          if they have any """"""naughty""""" words in the title (nationalism, muslim, terrorism, south africa, IQ, jewish, Nazi, etc), maybe

Im not a """"white nationalist""""
                          so ur on this western chauvinism meme then eh, that makes you a white supremacist

got im

Comment

Youtube probably doesnt intend it that way, but that's what these """"""journalists"""""" want. The gay retard who started all this was publicly encouraging the continued physical assault against right-wing figures, but none of his buddies from Vox, Huffpo, or Guardian are going to say shit about that.
                            Oh yeah, I saw that Tweet of his defending milkshaking people.

Not sure how many are for this tactic, but I did read a particular article that basically said "milkshaking people isn't that bad" because it's "defensive," but "doesn't touch the sort of subjects people think are slippery" (outright violence). As far as I'm concerned, this is probably the best argument I'll find for this.

Of course, it really means "keep people terrified of DARING to say things that DISAGREE with me in the most borderline vicious way possible that won't get me arrested."

These same people wouldn't buy it coming from the other side, obviously...
                            Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 6th, 2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

That's your free market at work! When it isn't profitable it has to go! Oh wait.. now you want regulations and protections for consumers. Ha!

Also youtube's announcement was scheduled well in advance. They are just too stupid to read the writing on the wall with public perception when they released that notice while the Vox thing is still going on.

Honestly, Crowder is a homophobic jackass. He is pond scum that shouldn't be getting this kind of attention. Should he be banned, certainly not. Is he 5 years from becoming the next Alex Jones, probably. People like him is what is keeping this country divided.

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                                That's your free market at work! When it isn't profitable it has to go! Oh wait.. now you want regulations and protections for consumers. Ha!
                                To be fair, these companies also end up banning a lot of Left-Wingers too, from what I can tell, usually by people even more Left-Wing (at least in some respects).

So it's really in everyone's best interests to secure people's ability to be political speakers on online platforms because it's really the only way to get out there now if you're not a politician, and leaving "who's a bad person and who's not" to a few people in silicon valley isn't a good idea...really, no matter who the person doing the banning is or not.

The internet is the new public square, and you're kind of a nobody unless you write a book or make a film that catches the eyes of the news media...which only MIGHT happen.
                                Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 6th, 2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

To be fair, these companies also end up banning a lot of Left-Wingers too, from what I can tell, usually by people even more Left-Wing (at least in some respects).

So it's really in everyone's best interests to secure people's ability to be political speakers on online platforms because it's really the only to get out there when you're not a politician, and leaving "who's a bad person and who's not" to a few people in silicon valley isn't a good idea...really, no matter who the person doing the banning is or not.

The internet is the new public square, and you're kind of a nobody unless you write a book or make a film that catches the eyes of the news media...which only MIGHT happen.
                                  Again.. free market. You'll have to go more liberal if you want to secure your free speech on private companies platforms. That or hire a lawyer. Hope your wealthy. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                                    Honestly, Crowder is a homophobic jackass. He is pond scum that shouldn't be getting this kind of attention. Should he be banned, certainly not. Is he 5 years from becoming the next Alex Jones, probably. People like him is what is keeping this country divided.
                                    no idea who this is but if he was gone then you'd just cry and spill your soy milk over pewdiepie or jontron etc
                                    I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Working...
                                    X