Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am curious can people tell the difference between pandering and a great story that is progressive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ziku View Post
    Shob hit the nail on the head.
    I do tend to do that from time-to-time

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

Boondock Saints

The guy all the way on the right is hard-gay. There's a bedroom scene in the movie with him and his gay lover. Its not something they beat you ever the head with or ever come back to--its just in there and the movie is super casual about it like oh btw--this guys gay. Thats just a thing. Nothing worth making a big deal about or mentioning again. Carry on.

Classic Movie. Great Story. Not pandering.
      ....eh

I wonder about this line of reasoning, honestly. Not to be that guy, just humour this for a bit: why is it a problem when the gay characters do this meme of being overt with their romantic interests? I could sit here all day just listing off the amount of movies and television series where the focus on a character's heterosexuality is very strong and permeates throughout much of the film/series....I mean, your other two films illustrate that perfectly, Kill Bill is chock-full of fanservice for heteros and Social Justice Wars has that thing between the black guy and the two-digit IQ "ifwe let our enemies kill us, we win" asian....but no one seems to take issue with it because it's normal. Which is true, being gay isnt a norm at all, but what message might be interpreted by lgbt persons if one says things like "I don't mind gay characters, I just don't want to see their gayness"?

Originally posted by Kajin_Style
      Completely denouncing every bit of evidence I present WITHOUT any counter evidence to point to the contrary is not logic; it's outright denial.
      Originally posted by Kajin_Style
      I'm sure you'll come up with some debunking excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
        Django is pandering and Django is a great movie, Tarantino straight up said he wanted to make a cowboy movie with a black lead so black parents had a cowboy movie to show their kids.
        He still showcased the dirt. The main villain was a slave. He manipulated the confrontation of Django and candy. Nevermind he even showcased the morality of the bounty hunting they used to gather funds. Pandering is usually those generic ass slave movies.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post

He still showcased the dirt. The main villain was a slave. He manipulated the confrontation of Django and candy. Nevermind he even showcased the morality of the bounty hunting they used to gather funds. Pandering is usually those generic ass slave movies.
          I guess, I just don't think pandering in of itself makes a movie/game bad just as long as it's well made. If somebody wants to build a game or movie from the ground up for an underrepresented minority I say let them go right ahead, the only problem I have is when they replace white characters with brown/black characters for no reason. I understand why they do it, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Especially when you have to fight off idiotic conspiracy theories about "Da Juice" replacing whites in media.

Comment

Django was great. Loved how it approached everything.

Didn’t feel like pandering, honestly.

Need to watch more Tarantino movies (Inglourious Basterds was also great).
            Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 6th, 2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

The reason why I abhor pandering is due to the fact that the vision of the work becomes- in my humble opinion, tarnished and defiled.

To me, once your vision of your work is completed- all the innerworkings and little details of your world/story are finalized, it attains perfection and there exists no need to make any alterations to it.

If that's your vision- regardless of how it may be received by anyone, then that's perfectly fine.

However, if that's not your vision- if that betrays the perfected, finalized still-image of your world/story, then that's wrong and serves as the abhorred pinnacle of pandering.

People who tarnish their vision for the sake of pleasing (pandering) critics and audience members are truly pitiful, in my opinion.

They're too spineless and weak to stand by their work, at the end of the day.

Comment

Working...
              X