Being Vocal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being Vocal

In your experience, has that been good or bad? Has it helped or harmed you in your life.

Depends if you were thinking beforehand or not.

Comment

helpful but that's because im only vocal about important things

Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n529802
      Do you even step back and ask why a grown person is getting triggered over this? Why half the population is getting regularly triggered?

Comment

I've been pretty vocal about my ultra-liberal politics with my family and friends both irl and online on social media.

I'm about 90% sure I've lost a few friends and I know some of my family has just stopped talking to me altogether. I mean, I'm not especially upset over it. But I would suppose that still counts as a negative.
        Last edited by Cid; March 9th, 2019, 02:49 AM.

Comment

I've been very not vocal because I seem to ruin anything I do vocalize. So I'm extremely quiet irl. I talk a lot online because it's mostly inconsequential

Comment

Usually when I'm vocal it's a negative outcome because most situations are better solved with a gentler approach. There's only a handful of times I can think of that being vocal has actually led to a positive result that couldn't have been achieved by simply letting things be and planning accordingly.

Comment

Dissing muslims so far has only gotten me to 1 fight but has given me plenty of fun

Comment

The reason I ask is because recently a coworker who is very vocal got fired because of their loud mouth. But due to their loud mouth was the only reason they stayed their in the first place and even became close to the boss.

It's very interesting how they were able to gain benefits that almost no one had to completely losing everything by the same tool.

It honestly baffles me.

Comment

I'm vocal if it's convenient or if the interest outweighs the inconvenience, to my better judgement. Whether it has a positive or a negative effect(or neutral?), I'd say it's a matter of perspective. It hasn't caused me unhappiness as far as I remember. At least...not any lasting unhappiness....for now.
                  Everything has a place and time, right? Maybe your coworker said something(s) at the wrong place/time?

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
                    I've been pretty vocal about my ultra-liberal politics with my family and friends both irl and online on social media.

I'm about 90% sure I've lost a few friends and I know some of my family has just stopped talking to me altogether. I mean, I'm not especially upset over it. But I would suppose that still counts as a negative.
                    I would call that win. Fuck those people. I bet half of them think the world is flat, vaccines are bad, dinosaurs aren't real, or any number of other nutty christian conservative ideas.

As for being vocal. I will say it is a double edge sword. Being vocal at the right times is a fantastic thing and gets you going places. However, do it too often or at the wrong times and you'll be hurting yourself. So from my experience I've learned it is better to see what others are thinking first before getting vocal on a topic and also to have some solutions on hand that they can work with. Otherwise you are just being bitchy and whiny.

Comment

In my experience, it's been both beneficial and harmful, but that's only because when I'm in arguments, I tend to become very impulsive and lose control of myself. On the other hand, though, if you've judged a situation beforehand and thought about whether or not you've a) fully thought out your ideas and considered the other side of the issue b) judged the possible consequences of being vocal seen whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives and are c)well enough informed on an issue to talk about it, things should generally work out. Essentially, what I've learned is just that you've got to pick your battles and wait for the right opportunity.

Comment

I really clammed up in the past few years, but I was boiling over with impotent rage when I was younger.

Rather than get in trouble though, generally people were on my side. I was brought out of an art class (but not put into any kind of trouble) because I yelled about the teacher singling me out to punish every single day.

I was also a big enough pain in the ass to an English teacher that she made it possible to do a 12 page paper for half of the class. And by that I don't mean she allowed us to do it. I mean she made it possible to complete after she assigned it.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                          I really clammed up in the past few years, but I was boiling over with impotent rage when I was younger.

Rather than get in trouble though, generally people were on my side. I was brought out of an art class (but not put into any kind of trouble) because I yelled about the teacher singling me out to punish every single day.

I was also a big enough pain in the ass to an English teacher that she made it possible to do a 12 page paper for half of the class. And by that I don't mean she allowed us to do it. I mean she made it possible to complete after she assigned it.
                          Reminds me of my english/reading teacher back in middle school who hated me even though I never did anything to her. She made me sit right up with her desk to desk and was always a complete bitch to me. One day she said something to me that I can't remember and I just stuck my arm across her desk and flipped her off right in her face. She sent me to the office after that but it was worth it lol.

She would always bring her dog to class on fridays and her classroom always smelled like pumpkin scented candles. I hope shes dead.
                          Originally posted by Kajin_Style
                          I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
                            Reminds me of my english/reading teacher back in middle school who hated me even though I never did anything to her. She made me sit right up with her desk to desk and was always a complete bitch to me. One day she said something to me that I can't remember and I just stuck my arm across her desk and flipped her off right in her face. She sent me to the office after that but it was worth it lol.

She would always bring her dog to class on fridays and her classroom always smelled like pumpkin scented candles. I hope shes dead.
                            I get that I come off as a whiny bitch, but literally every adult that weren't those two teachers were on my side. It wasn't me, it was them.

Comment

Have you ever thought about going back to see them now that you're an adult? To mend things, with them?

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

Have you ever thought about going back to see them now that you're an adult? To mend things, with them?
                                no
                                I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

no
                                  Just imagine you got a beer with her and then hooked up with her, that would be hot. Make sure you post it here.
                                  Last edited by #83.6666666667; March 11th, 2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

Just imagine you got a beer with her and then hooked up with her, that would be hot. Make sure you post it here.
                                    I'll think about it

Comment

• #83.6666666667
                                      #83.6666666667 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      83 for peach prize.

You should be vocal when problems or issues start to begin surfacing. I still have painful memories of not speaking up when I should have, and it caused a lot of problems for many people, I must admit.

And unfortunately, those problems never got fully resolved as of the present day.

Comment

Working...
                                    X