Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had $2000 given to you to use as you like, what devices would you get with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

Do you think you'd get one with an SSD rather than a HDD?

Since these are things that are supposed to last a long time, do you have any particular ones in mind? Like, what would you look for in a headphone besides the sound quality?
    A Sennheiser 650 or maybe an open back Bose seems like my speed. But tbh I'm pretty content with my headphones and would rather spend the money on a strong PC. My 970 is good enough for now since I'm mostly sticking to clearing my backlog atm, but come summer and fall I plan to check out all the games that were released this year and I'm gonna want to see them at their best quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Zemoco View Post

A Sennheiser 650 or maybe an open back Bose seems like my speed. But tbh I'm pretty content with my headphones and would rather spend the money on a strong PC. My 970 is good enough for now since I'm mostly sticking to clearing my backlog atm, but come summer and fall I plan to check out all the games that were released this year and I'm gonna want to see them at their best quality.
      Oh yeah, I remember you said that you use a Sennheiser HD 598 for gaming and Airpods for commuting. Makes sense then, they probably last very long anyway.

Like I said, an SSD would be the best choice for a PC drive system since it's much better than the average HDD.

Comment

It would be best put to use in a theater room or just a hanging large TV somewhere in a house, mostly a living room or a bedroom if they're large enough for it.
        But then I need a new house too lmao. Oh the pipe dreams man. But that is interesting actually, cuz a lot of times good Audio systems can sound shitty cuz of a really bad treated room and even furniture.

It depends on whether or not they drop really, some tend to have really solid build quality (and while they may be a bit too expensive I've gotten decent build for $150 at one time). And it would also be a good idea to just invest in a good hard case for stowing them away when done with them (if it can fit but it doesn't already have one). A few of the ones with good build quality that I can think of are Bowers & Wilkins, Bose, Sennheiser, Bang & Olufsen, and Audio-Technica.

Though you're right that their durability is exaggerated especially when it comes to joints and hinges. Stuff like Beats readily comes to mind as having this inflated public image, and Sony had issues with their 1st 2 Noise-cancelling flagship headphones till the M3's came out (though they didn't have as many build quality issues with their other non-flagship offerings like the h.ear on lines.

Noise-cancelling is very handy when commuting on public transport though (definitely not good for when walking however because you need to be aware at that time).
        I would consider $150 to be ok for a good pair of headphones. I had a Beyerdynamics (I prefer my sound flat) that was about that, maybe about the $180ish range and it was definitely durable and good enough to warrant that.

Noise cancelling are pretty nifty, but I can agree that people need to stop using headphones while walking around in public. Sure you could just be "socially awkward' or "it help's you relax" or whatever, but there's just so many things that could, and have gone wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino Man View Post

But then I need a new house too lmao. Oh the pipe dreams man. But that is interesting actually, cuz a lot of times good Audio systems can sound shitty cuz of a really bad treated room and even furniture.
          Sorry, it seems I got a bit carried away since I have cousins who live in a mansion with said faculties (though not fully developed) and another set of relatives (in a much smaller house) who bought more than one soundbar for several areas :/

I would consider $150 to be ok for a good pair of headphones. I had a Beyerdynamics (I prefer my sound flat) that was about that, maybe about the $180ish range and it was definitely durable and good enough to warrant that.

Noise cancelling are pretty nifty, but I can agree that people need to stop using headphones while walking around in public. Sure you could just be "socially awkward' or "it help's you relax" or whatever, but there's just so many things that could, and have gone wrong.
          The ones I have are Audio-Technica headphones and are also flat in their sound signature themselves.

Agreed on that part as well.

Comment

Sorry, it seems I got a bit carried away since I have cousins who live in a mansion with said faculties (though not fully developed) and another set of relatives (in a much smaller house) who bought more than one soundbar for several areas :/

Nah, I'm just a little picky with sound. Too used to acoustic treated rooms since that's where I spend a lot of my time. It amazes me to see that ''normal'' people are usually more into these stuff than people who work in the music or audio business

The ones I have are Audio-Technica headphones and are also flat in their sound signature themselves.

Agreed on that part as well.
            I've got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20x for my casual usage. it does work pretty well considering how cheap it was. Not the flattest I've heard, but I'm just tired of the low end boost most headphones have cuz of the "bass" frenzy that's been going on recently.

I remember buying a super budget one a like 5 years ago. I cant remember exactly but it was either a Samson, or a super entry AKG. That's when I learnt how weak these joints can be. it had a supposedly metal bar joint, that did really nothing. Looked about the same as the one on my AT but the AT's definitely got more miles on it and still feels tight. So yeah, dont spend too less on headphones either lmao
            Last edited by Domino Man; February 7th, 2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Nah, I'm just a little picky with sound. Too used to acoustic treated rooms since that's where I spend a lot of my time. It amazes me to see that ''normal'' people are usually more into these stuff than people who work in the music or audio business
              An acoustically treated room is a pro thing right?

Well most normal people don't really do more than scratching the surface really because it may be too much work for them to get to the good stuff.

I've got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20x for my casual usage. it does work pretty well considering how cheap it was. Not the flattest I've heard, but I'm just tired of the low end boost most headphones have cuz of the "bass" frenzy that's been going on recently.

I remember buying a super budget one a like 5 years ago. I cant remember exactly but it was either a Samson, or a super entry AKG. That's when I learnt how weak these joints can be. it had a supposedly metal bar joint, that did really nothing. Looked about the same as the one on my AT but the AT's definitely got more miles on it and still feels tight. So yeah, dont spend too less on headphones either lmao
              Cool, mine works well too for $150. And yeah, headphones should mostly go for balance but work with an EQ if you want more of something.

Sadly the one I had before the Audio-Technica headphones were a pair of Beats (when I was much younger and really didn't know that much about headphones) and they broke rather easily not to mention being massively uncomfortable. And I rather recently noticed that because of their desire to maintain an eye-catching design, the form factor isn't very flexible, as in you can't really stretch the plastic headband a lot and you also can't rotate or swivel the ear cups (at least that's how the story is on their mainline products, exceptions being the Pro's and Executives which have the only good build quality in their whole lineup), plus a lot of them fold at the top of the extenders rather than at the bottom like most others do.

Comment

Hm....
                Oh!
                I know what I'd get!

I'd invest in a stylish pair of headphones and several flash-drives, so then I could hand them out whenever need a pair of headphones or a flash-drive.
                That would make me so happy as everyone would be able to get something that is functional and brand-new. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post
                  Hm....
                  Oh!
                  I know what I'd get!

I'd invest in a stylish pair of headphones and several flash-drives, so then I could hand them out whenever need a pair of headphones or a flash-drive.
                  That would make me so happy as everyone would be able to get something that is functional and brand-new. ^_^
                  Hello friendo

Comment

Originally posted by Ladd View Post

Hello friendo
                    Hello, Ladd!

How have you been; How has life been treating you?

Are you eating nutritious meals, and have you been as happy as a hummingbird?
                    I truly hope that you have been- a hummingbird is such a peculiar and wonderful creature, so I can only pray that your happiness and health represent the liveness of such being. ^_^

Comment

Hello, Ladd!

How have you been; How has life been treating you?

Are you eating nutritious meals, and have you been as happy as a hummingbird?
                      I truly hope that you have been- a hummingbird is such a peculiar and wonderful creature, so I can only pray that your happiness and health represent the liveness of such being. ^_^
                      I've been alright.
                      Tired as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladd View Post

I've been alright.
                        Tired as usual.
                        Is that so?
                        Have you tried to tickle yourself?
                        I've heard that it can put a smile on anyone, regardless of how tired you may be.
                        I apologize if I took too long to address your post as I was answering other posts in an orderly fashion.

Have a beautiful day and please smile from the bottom of your heart, Ladd!
                        I heard that it does marvels to the soul.

Comment

An acoustically treated room is a pro thing right?

Well most normal people don't really do more than scratching the surface really because it may be too much work for them to get to the good stuff.

Oh yeah, treated rooms are up there. I'm a working studio session musician. so that's why I'm around it a lot. I could never afford one though. But i know a few rich people who have a home theater room better suited to record a live Queen album. And they use it to just watch the latest blockbuster.

Cool, mine works well too for $150. And yeah, headphones should mostly go for balance but work with an EQ if you want more of something.

Sadly the one I had before the Audio-Technica headphones were a pair of Beats (when I was much younger and really didn't know that much about headphones) and they broke rather easily not to mention being massively uncomfortable. And I rather recently noticed that because of their desire to maintain an eye-catching design, the form factor isn't very flexible, as in you can't really stretch the plastic headband a lot and you also can't rotate or swivel the ear cups (at least that's how the story is on their mainline products, exceptions being the Pro's and Executives which have the only good build quality in their whole lineup), plus a lot of them fold at the top of the extenders rather than at the bottom like most others do.
                          I totally get that, especially about the plastic headband part. It boggles my mind, i doubt it's a cost of production thing too. I almost never buy headphones without a hands-on test nowadays, which is something I use to laugh at when I was a kid too. "It's just headphones, they're all the same" lmao I was a fkin cuck.

Comment

Hm....
                            Oh!
                            I know what I'd get!

An admirable aspiration, but I'd be careful around "stylish headphones" if I were you... either they have bad build or bad sound.
                            But if you must go for that then be prepared to drop $500 on B&O headphones because those are the only stylish ones that are consistently well-built and have good sound as well as comfort. So you have to go way up to get both good qualities.

Comment

• Mr.Sunshine
                              Mr.Sunshine commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I see!
                              I truly appreciate your sound advice, TT.
                              I'll keep it in mind, if I ever truly have intrigue in buying good quality headphones.
                              Have a great day. ^_^

Oh yeah, treated rooms are up there. I'm a working studio session musician. so that's why I'm around it a lot. I could never afford one though. But i know a few rich people who have a home theater room better suited to record a live Queen album. And they use it to just watch the latest blockbuster.
                            Oh, that's cool. So do you have an idea as to what kind of headphones are standard for work in the studio?

True, a lot can be done with theater rooms but it's not so much of a concern with those who own it.

I totally get that, especially about the plastic headband part. It boggles my mind, i doubt it's a cost of production thing too. I almost never buy headphones without a hands-on test nowadays, which is something I use to laugh at when I was a kid too. "It's just headphones, they're all the same" lmao I was a fkin cuck.
                            Proper headbands should be metal (preferably aluminum) and should also have proper padding around them (nothing like rubber or w/e) along with being able to stretch a lot so that they don't clamp too hard on the head.

I also realized the vast differences in build quality as well as sound when I finally began looking into headphones.

Comment

Oh, that's cool. So do you have an idea as to what kind of headphones are standard for work in the studio?
                              I've seen it all, from AKG to Shure to Audio Technica's (mostly m50) but personally, the best one i've ever used was the beyer dynamics DT 770. That one really take's the cake on just build quality. Most studio's prefer Closed to open backs. And all secondary reference headphones tend to be AKGs. I dont know if it's just a market thing over here. The SHURE, I cant remember the exact model number but I think it was the SRH940; came close to it in build quality, but It didnt feel too good on my ears. might just be my head shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X