Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had $2000 given to you to use as you like, what devices would you get with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much does an autoblow cost?

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
      how much does an autoblow cost?
      Never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Maybe my hearing just isn't great. Because I can't hear a huge difference different sets of headphones. Like, they'll have the displays at Best Buy with a set of $40 skull candies, Beats, and a $300 Bose set. And I'll put them all on... And they sound way too similar to justify the absurd price difference. I always chalked it up to build quality and comfort. The Bose set was definitely studier and felt better on my head. Sounded damn near the same until you turned ANC on. But on the subject of ANC, I got a $80 Audio Technica set that, from what I can tell, seemed to sound almost identical to the Bose set.

So I dunno man. Might just be me.
        There really isn't a difference in my experience between a $50 vs $300 dollar headset. The 300 is obviously a little better build but not enough to justify a 250 price difference.

As for what I would do with the money, I would donate it to kids in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

As for what I would do with the money, I would donate it to kids in Africa.
          That would most likely be a one-time thing, couldn't there be something more permanent if we're talking in that direction, like something that will help them for as long as they live?

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

That would most likely be a one-time thing, couldn't there be something more permanent if we're talking in that direction, like something that will help them for as long as they live?
            for two grand, probably not.

Malaria and maybe HIV vaccines are the best they could do.

Comment

a Cintiq

actually saving up for a less costly Wacom atm

use whatevers left for idk a bunch of SD cards I guess. constantly having to get more n more. Wish Petabyte SD's were a thing. I mean, its unlikely Id ever use all of it unless I became immortal, but its....fascinating to me. Just thinking of all the things you could possibly fill it up with....what types of things might be stored on such a thing, what type of knowledge?!

forget the petabyte....what about a yottabyte memory? or a brontobyte, or the gegobyte???? They say that a gegobyte hard drive would be so massive, it could cover the earth millions of times...what bottomless reserves! What potential!!!!! Oh my god, what kind of journey could you go on...

Imagine that, imagine if instead of getting just a measily 80~ years of life, we were instead allowed to exist until we ingested enough information to fill a gegobyte drive...what monstrous intellects might be spawned if such rules were in fact rules. Would we even recognize such beings as human anymore, might they just go completely mad. Maybe they'd hang onto sanity for the first couple of centuries, and then shit would get super fucking trippy and existential - imagine probing through such a memory, just seeing to what extremes that kind of oddyssey could go to!! Oh its so delightfully wondrous and terrifying, you know what....Im going to put this in one of my stories now.
              Last edited by Helly; February 3rd, 2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

a massage chair

Comment

• TechTastic
                  TechTastic commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That works too.

Probably save it. Use some for a new computer around the Fall, and then the rest for when I get a new place.

If I had no choice but to use it now, I'd probably give it to my parents for tuition and bills and shit.

if I had to get materiel possessions for myself. I'd probably pick up some new headphones, upgrade my wardrobe a bit, and idk I guess. I'm pretty content.

Comment

Originally posted by Zemoco View Post
                  Probably save it. Use some for a new computer around the Fall, and then the rest for when I get a new place.

If I had no choice but to use it now, I'd probably give it to my parents for tuition and bills and shit.

if I had to get materiel possessions for myself. I'd probably pick up some new headphones, upgrade my wardrobe a bit, and idk I guess. I'm pretty content.
                  That's a good idea really. If you haven't used the rest of it then you can easily put it away for the next time you might need it.

Comment

I take it that the money in this hypothetical could only be applied towards the procurement of devices?

If so, I have a few questions:
                    • Would I be allowed to donate to charity...
                      • ...if said charity were closely affiliated with, or could make excellent use of, certain devices?
                      • ...if said charity were one that granted provision to certain devices?
                    • Would I be allowed to invest my money order to accrue more and shop for devices with a larger budget?
                    • Would I be allowed to solicit a prostitute with this money if they were secretly the world's first successful cyborg?
                    • How techtastic was your day?

:}

"Listen, Bubbs: hear that? The sounds of the whispering winds of shit."
                    Rest in peace, John Dunsworth (1946-2017).

Comment

A better PC, a PS4 Pro with PSVR, a Wacom tablet

Comment

Originally posted by P408370R View Post
                        I take it that the money in this hypothetical could only be applied towards the procurement of devices?

If so, I have a few questions:
                        • Would I be allowed to donate to charity...
                          • ...if said charity were closely affiliated with, or could make excellent use of, certain devices?
                          • ...if said charity were one that granted provision to certain devices?
                        • Would I be allowed to invest my money order to accrue more and shop for devices with a larger budget?
                        • Would I be allowed to solicit a prostitute with this money if they were secretly the world's first successful cyborg?
                        • How techtastic was your day?

:}
                        You could buy a device for yourself or for whoever you see fit, whether that's a relative, a friend, an organization or something else.

I mean, overall it's whatever you personally want to do with the money, the question is just that if you wanted to buy any sort of device with it, what would it be?
                        You can wait for when prices decrease before pulling the trigger on said item, like Black Friday, holiday sales, and any such occasion if you want, it'd be wiser not to buy certain things at full price if there's any chance they'll go on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          a Cintiq

actually saving up for a less costly Wacom atm
                          Originally posted by Louay View Post
                          a Wacom tablet
                          Actually looking that thing up it's like either exactly $2k or even more expensive than it. Is it really that good a tablet? Being graphics-dedicated from what I can gather.

I guess it's like all those authentic professional headphones out there for serious audio work that tend to cost over $1k or even $2k.

Comment

Devices? I really cant think of any devices I want tbh, maybe upgrade my phone but it is perfectly fine. Other than that get another monitor and a new router i guess

Comment

Actually looking that thing up it's like either exactly $2k or even more expensive than it. Is it really that good a tablet? Being graphics-dedicated from what I can gather.

I guess it's like all those authentic professional headphones out there for serious audio work that tend to cost over $1k or even $2k.
                              its purpose is that of an artistic medium, ye. Never used one myself, but I know that the normie tablet I do have isnt nearly responsive enough, and the wacom brand is a favorite of the pros.

Comment

My friend's father who is a professional comic artist let me try it once and you could tell from the moment you grab the pen that it's in a realm of its own compared to the cheap options. The accuracy, response time and pressure sensitivity was so far ahead from what I was used to. Definitely worth the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Crismon View Post
                                  Devices? I really cant think of any devices I want tbh, maybe upgrade my phone but it is perfectly fine. Other than that get another monitor and a new router i guess
                                  Would that mean you already have devices for those categories you want or you don't really look for that many things in general?

Originally posted by Helly View Post

its purpose is that of an artistic medium, ye. Never used one myself, but I know that the normie tablet I do have isnt nearly responsive enough, and the wacom brand is a favorite of the pros.
                                  Originally posted by Louay View Post

My friend's father who is a professional comic artist let me try it once and you could tell from the moment you grab the pen that it's in a realm of its own compared to the cheap options. The accuracy, response time and pressure sensitivity was so far ahead from what I was used to. Definitely worth the price.
                                  Yeah, professional stuff in general tends to be on a whole different level than all the mainstream stuff out there, especially given how long it can last and how well it does its job, as I've rather recently discovered from looking a bit more into these things.

Well I guess that's just how it goes when a product is squarely dedicated towards a certain purpose and does it genuinely well with nothing short of efficiency.

Comment

Do you think you'd get one with an SSD rather than a HDD?

if I had to get materiel possessions for myself. I'd probably pick up some new headphones
                                    Since these are things that are supposed to last a long time, do you have any particular ones in mind? Like, what would you look for in a headphone besides the sound quality?

Comment

So after a bit of currency exchanging and checking the local market I would probably buy a good refrigerator. Maybe I'm getting old but those vegetables aren't lasting like they used to. Then a nice 50 inch TV. 60 is cool but might be kinda overkill for someone like me. If i were to get a console, I'd probably buy a switch or a ps4. Leaning towards the switch tho.

but truth be told a musician so for $2k i'd get a smacking sweet ass-fuck Bass guitar and a few pedals, or a DI box. Now if i could weigh in on the audio system thing, I find that there's definitely a threshold there somewhere, a Good audio system is very high on my list, but I doubt I'd spend too much on it cuz unless you're actively comparing it, there's never any noticeable difference apart from how the companies decide to EQ or compress the audio signal. Bose is nice and easy to use if you can afford it, but something like JBL does the trick too.

EDIT - also for headphones, please dont spend too much, if you use it outside and not just on your pc or something. They arent really that durable, and it's better to use a decent affordable one and change it as you go along. I think the "cool hipster who always has thir headphones on in public" image kinda over sold the durability of small metal (usually plastic) joints.
                                      Last edited by Domino Man; February 6th, 2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino Man View Post
                                        So after a bit of currency exchanging and checking the local market I would probably buy a good refrigerator. Maybe I'm getting old but those vegetables aren't lasting like they used to. Then a nice 50 inch TV. 60 is cool but might be kinda overkill for someone like me. If i were to get a console, I'd probably buy a switch or a ps4. Leaning towards the switch tho.

but truth be told a musician so for $2k i'd get a smacking sweet ass-fuck Bass guitar and a few pedals, or a DI box. Now if i could weigh in on the audio system thing, I find that there's definitely a threshold there somewhere, a Good audio system is very high on my list, but I doubt I'd spend too much on it cuz unless you're actively comparing it, there's never any noticeable difference apart from how the companies decide to EQ or compress the audio signal. Bose is nice and easy to use if you can afford it, but something like JBL does the trick too.
                                        It would be best put to use in a theater room or just a hanging large TV somewhere in a house, mostly a living room or a bedroom if they're large enough for it.

EDIT - also for headphones, please dont spend too much, if you use it outside and not just on your pc or something. They arent really that durable, and it's better to use a decent affordable one and change it as you go along. I think the "cool hipster who always has thir headphones on in public" image kinda over sold the durability of small metal (usually plastic) joints.
                                        It depends on whether or not they drop really, some tend to have really solid build quality (and while they may be a bit too expensive I've gotten decent build for $150 at one time). And it would also be a good idea to just invest in a good hard case for stowing them away when done with them (if it can fit but it doesn't already have one). A few of the ones with good build quality that I can think of are Bowers & Wilkins, Bose, Sennheiser, Bang & Olufsen, and Audio-Technica.

Though you're right that their durability is exaggerated especially when it comes to joints and hinges. Stuff like Beats readily comes to mind as having this inflated public image, and Sony had issues with their 1st 2 Noise-cancelling flagship headphones till the M3's came out (though they didn't have as many build quality issues with their other non-flagship offerings like the h.ear on lines.

Noise-cancelling is very handy when commuting on public transport though (definitely not good for when walking however because you need to be aware at that time).
                                        Last edited by TechTastic; February 6th, 2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X