Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had $2000 given to you to use as you like, what devices would you get with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had $2000 given to you to use as you like, what devices would you get with it?

Mostly personal devices like phones, tablets, or laptops/desktop setups, or accessories to go with them (headphones, speakers, cases, etc), or perhaps some setup like a game console, soundbar or a TV or something like that.

Would it be spent on more than one item or on one thing that has such a price tag?

What specific devices would you be looking at in particular?

I'd get me a nice 65 inch 4K TV with Dolby Vision and HDR. Probably the TLC 6 series, since it comes in at just around $1000. Not the best TV money can buy, but certainly one of the best for value. Then I'd toss a PS4 Pro and PSVR in on top for another $700. And I'd spend whatever is left on whatever sound system I could afford afterward.

Comment

Better speakers, better camera or 3, a couple new monitors, a few programs like MS Office and a couple Adobe Elements... Probably a PSVR. Maybe get my wife a cheap gaming laptop so that she could start doing her own stuff.

No clue on specifics. I'm a bargain shopper, so I like to wait for deals, and I haven't done any research on monitors I want.
      I can get Photoshop and Premier Elements for 150 dollars. A PSVR, I'd probably buy used somewhere...
      I'd probably grab 2 of the 60 dollar range Logitech webcams.
      I could honestly go for a new desk, too. I'd probably sink a couple hundred into that. Maybe upgrade my PS4 to the Pro...

Maybe add a bit more power to my computer, too. Make sure I have a CPU to run everything I want and maybe double my RAM again...
      Last edited by Culpa the Moth Mage; February 2nd, 2019, 10:26 PM.
      Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
      Don't forget to check out MothMageCulpa's Twitch Channel! - Join the Swarm today and Follow, subscribe, or donate!
      PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 25. Platinums: 71 - Check me out on Twitch to see what I'm currently playing!

Comment

talk about a dream

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/pr...waAnC5EALw_wcB

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n524194
        Racism is a “major issue” only because some people want it to be.

Comment

• TechTastic
          TechTastic commented
          Editing a comment
          Well technically not a device, but ok...

Invest in a nice dual-monitor display, and if there's enough money left over, I'll spend that on a hybrid tablet for travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
          I'd get me a nice 65 inch 4K TV with Dolby Vision and HDR. Probably the TLC 6 series, since it comes in at just around $1000. Not the best TV money can buy, but certainly one of the best for value. Then I'd toss a PS4 Pro and PSVR in on top for another $700. And I'd spend whatever is left on whatever sound system I could afford afterward.
          On the topic of sound systems, how do the likes of Sonos and Vizio sound to you?
          Last edited by TechTastic; February 3rd, 2019, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

On the topic of sound systems, how do the likes of Sonos and Vizio sound to you?
            Had I ever experienced either of them outside of Best Buy's crowded, noisy stores... I'd let you know. Lol

Comment

I'd probably get the current Samsung model and get some VR gear so I could play me some virtual D&D. And also so I have a phone that doesn't die at 99% battery sometimes.

Comment

Had I ever experienced either of them outside of Best Buy's crowded, noisy stores... I'd let you know. Lol
                So you've actually tried those out at their sections?

Perhaps this might help, though the audio reproduction may not be the real thing but it does give an idea:

Comment

So you've actually tried those out at their sections?

Perhaps this might help, though the audio reproduction may not be the real thing but it does give an idea:

At work, can't watch your video mate.

Though if I'm being completely honest with you, and you probably have realized this from our conversations about headphones, audio isn't really a top priority for me. I don't care about surround sound. My parents had an expensive Phillips system back when DVDs and Home Theater setups were getting big... And I just didn't care for it. Used it a few times, generally just stuck to the TV speakers.

Even if I had enough money to buy a good Sonos sound system, I doubt I would. There's much better things to spend that money on, in my opinion. Like building a bigger collection of 4K blu-ray movies.

Comment

Though if I'm being completely honest with you, and you probably have realized this from our conversations about headphones, audio isn't really a top priority for me. I don't care about surround sound. My parents had an expensive Phillips system back when DVDs and Home Theater setups were getting big... And I just didn't care for it. Used it a few times, generally just stuck to the TV speakers.

Even if I had enough money to buy a good Sonos sound system, I doubt I would. There's much better things to spend that money on, in my opinion. Like building a bigger collection of 4K blu-ray movies.
                    Reminds me of my brother, will buy himself an 800 dollar Ipad and listen to music on it with some cheap ass headphones he got from the dollar store. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

I understand then. I just thought I might recommend those in that case since you seemed undecided about what system you'd get afterward.

Perhaps one of their small speakers would do. I especially like how it comes with Amazon Alexa in my experience.

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

Reminds me of my brother, will buy himself an 800 dollar Ipad and listen to music on it with some cheap ass headphones he got from the dollar store. Doesn't make any sense to me.
                      You mean an iPod?

Comment

Maybe my hearing just isn't great. Because I can't hear a huge difference different sets of headphones. Like, they'll have the displays at Best Buy with a set of $40 skull candies, Beats, and a $300 Bose set. And I'll put them all on... And they sound way too similar to justify the absurd price difference. I always chalked it up to build quality and comfort. The Bose set was definitely studier and felt better on my head. Sounded damn near the same until you turned ANC on. But on the subject of ANC, I got a $80 Audio Technica set that, from what I can tell, seemed to sound almost identical to the Bose set.

So I dunno man. Might just be me.

Comment

I understand then. I just thought I might recommend those in that case since you seemed undecided about what system you'd get afterward.

Perhaps one of their small speakers would do. I especially like how it comes with Amazon Alexa in my experience.

You mean an iPod?
                          Nope Ipad he is a college kid he uses it to take notes and listen to music.

Comment

Maybe my hearing just isn't great. Because I can't hear a huge difference different sets of headphones. Like, they'll have the displays at Best Buy with a set of $40 skull candies, Beats, and a $300 Bose set. And I'll put them all on... And they sound way too similar to justify the absurd price difference. I always chalked it up to build quality and comfort. The Bose set was definitely studier and felt better on my head. Sounded damn near the same until you turned ANC on. But on the subject of ANC, I got a $80 Audio Technica set that, from what I can tell, seemed to sound almost identical to the Bose set.

Some would have more bass, others have more clarity, sometimes these come at each other's expense and vice versa, and a few others may have treble so high that it's ear piercing.
                            Others happen to be more balanced in their sound signature, with not too much of each element.

Comment

Nope Ipad he is a college kid he uses it to take notes and listen to music.
                              Oh, in that case the device isn't particularly dedicated to music. Sometimes getting top tier headphones (mostly wired) to listen to music in the best way possible requires a good DAC in the headphone jack, or an amp in some other places if the headphones have too high an impedance level to drive normally. And some smaller devices that may have theirs built in can include an iPod, a Sony Walkman, or any LG phone with a "quad dac".

Comment

Honestly I don't get the hype with Beats but I can definitely tell the difference when listening to music on a good pair of Bose or JBL headphones compared to some cheaper headphones . Though comfort is always my #1 concern.

Comment

Oh, in that case the device isn't particularly dedicated to music. Sometimes getting top tier headphones (mostly wired) to listen to music in the best way possible requires a good DAC in the headphone jack, or an amp in some other places if the headphones have too high an impedance level to drive normally. And some smaller devices that may have theirs built in can include an iPod, a Sony Walkman, or any LG phone with a "quad dac".
                                  Sure but you still want something better then some $5 Chinese headphones that are going to break in a couple weeks....at least I would.

Comment

TechTastic Reply works for both of you, so just tagging you here.

Honestly I don't get the hype with Beats but I can definitely tell the difference when listening to music on a good pair of Bose or JBL headphones compared to some cheaper headphones . Though comfort is always my #1 concern.

I agree when you get to the bottom of the barrel that there's a clear difference. You get a pair of those $5 gummi buds from Walmart and yeah, you get feedback and static and they sound awful.

But once you start getting into the well-known brands, even the cheaper ones from Skullcandy sound fine, imo.
                                    Last edited by Cid; February 3rd, 2019, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Beats is all design honestly. Doesn't sound any better than lesser known brands like Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, or AKG that have better offerings at lower prices. Not built better either with the exception of a few old models.

Bose is definitely the best when it comes to comfort in its category of headphones (which is mostly ANC travel), and a close second would be the Sony 1000 XM3's priced at the same $350 and Sennheiser PXC 550's.

Sure but you still want something better then some $5 Chinese headphones that are going to break in a couple weeks....at least I would.
                                      You can definitely say that again. He should go for the aforementioned headphone brands at about $150 or something like that. A worthwhile entry level investment.

Comment

Working...
                                      X