Disney hits an All Time Low

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney hits an All Time Low

And here I thought Disney couldn't get any worse. So Star Wars Theory made a kickass Darth Vader fan film. It got a lot of praise and over 6 million+ views on YouTube. Before it got released, Star Wars Theory went to Lucasfilm and asked what he could and couldn't do with the film. Lucasfilm said he had to fund the film himself and he couldn't monetize it. Star Wars Theory honored the terms, and yet just yesterday, Disney claimed the video and are now running ads on it and they're making money off of it now.

I'm at a loss for words here. Its like, how can you be so greedy? You're not gonna make a lot of money off of this. The amount of money they'll make off of this would be the equivalent of a McDonald's worker making a penny every day.

Could be worse. They could've taken it down. Who cares if Disney gets paid for someone using their IP?

Comment

Was a part of the deal that Disney itself as well would not attempt to profit off the work? What agreements were they as the copyright holder to keep?

Comment

• Darkseeker1379
        Darkseeker1379 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd have to rewatch the video where Disney/Lucasfilm laid down their terms, but you do make a good point.

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
      Could be worse. They could've taken it down. Who cares if Disney gets paid for someone using their IP?
      It's not even so much about the money. It's about the message this sends when they did this. It shows their insecurity in their own ability to make Star Wars content and it shows their fear of fans being able to create better content with nowhere near the amount of money Disney has.

That and they really screwed over Star Wars Theory pulling a stunt like this. And that's not even the worse of it. Disney has already been on thin ice for years when it comes to Star Wars as a whole and how they've fucked it up real bad. Them doing this will only just turn more fans against them and now they're gonna lose more money due to people boycotting the living hell out of them and not going to see Star Wars Episode IX. They already lost a shitload of money on Solo. Them claiming the fan film could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Comment

Could be worse. They could've taken it down.
        This too, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseeker1379 View Post

It's not even so much about the money. It's about the message this sends when they did this. It shows their insecurity in their own ability to make Star Wars content and it shows their fear of fans being able to create better content with nowhere near the amount of money Disney has.

That and they really screwed over Star Wars Theory pulling a stunt like this. And that's not even the worse of it. Disney has already been on thin ice for years when it comes to Star Wars as a whole and how they've fucked it up real bad. Them doing this will only just turn more fans against them and now they're gonna lose more money due to people boycotting the living hell out of them and not going to see Star Wars Episode IX. They already lost a shitload of money on Solo. Them claiming the fan film could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
          You're really making a mountain out of a molehill on this one imo. How exactly did they dick over Star Wars Theory if they weren't making money off of it in the first place?

Lucasfilm was fine with a fan production, that's great. Disney is also fine with it, or they would've taken it down, but they felt that they deserve ad revenue for allowing it to continue. That's within their rights, I would say. Is it a dick move? Sure, if Lucasfilm already looked the other way. Are they insecure and trying to squash creative freedom? No, not at all.

Comment

You're really making a mountain out of a molehill on this one imo. How exactly did they dick over Star Wars Theory if they weren't making money off of it in the first place?

Lucasfilm was fine with a fan production, that's great. Disney is also fine with it, or they would've taken it down, but they felt that they deserve ad revenue for allowing it to continue. That's within their rights, I would say. Is it a dick move? Sure, if Lucasfilm already looked the other way. Are they insecure and trying to squash creative freedom? No, not at all.
            My issue is they've never done this before with other Star Wars fan films. Why do it now is my question especially when the money they'd make from it is literal chump change to a multi billion dollar company like Disney. It just comes off as greedy and scummy to me.

Comment

Working...
            X