Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you all think of the dawn of USB-C?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
    Wireless is the way to go.
    Sorry but that won't do, wired connections are always faster depending on how good the cable is, also not everything can (or will) charge or transfer data wirelessly.
    So as long as wires exist, USB-C is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

Sorry but that won't do, wired connections are always faster depending on how good the cable is, also not everything can (or will) charge or transfer data wirelessly.
      So as long as wires exist, USB-C is the best option.
      What an awful world to live in. But wireless technology is improving. Probably will be good enough to replace USB-C by the time USB C becomes dominant.

Comment

What an awful world to live in. But wireless technology is improving. Probably will be good enough to replace USB-C by the time USB C becomes dominant.
        Not for charging (which still requires a wire), that's for sure.

Comment

Not for charging (which still requires a wire), that's for sure.
          Well I can place my phone on a "dock" and I don't have to connect it directly to a wire. Plus, they're working on transferring electricity without any wires at all. It's actually possible right now but not very efficient.

Comment

Well I can place my phone on a "dock" and I don't have to connect it directly to a wire. Plus, they're working on transferring electricity without any wires at all. It's actually possible right now but not very efficient.
            That's for phones specifically, I'm speaking of the larger devices like tablets and laptops as well. Heck, even consoles/handhelds like the Nintendo switch, as well as headphones (only the Parrot Zik line charges wirelessly afaik as of this writing though).
            Not to mention the dock itself being wired to begin with, and having to put the phone there rather than a certain distance away from it.

Well I guess Tesla could have done something about wireless transmissions of energy, but then came Edison, and the rest is history.
            Last edited by TechTastic; January 11th, 2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

That's for phones specifically, I'm speaking of the larger devices like tablets and laptops as well. Heck, even consoles/handhelds like the Nintendo switch, as well as headphones (only the Parrot Zik line charges wirelessly afaik as of this writing though).
              Not to mention the dock itself being wired to begin with, and having to put the phone there rather than a certain distance away from it.

Well I guess Tesla could have done something about wireless transmissions of energy, but then came Edison, and the rest is history.
              I don't imagine that it would be hard to implement phones technology into bigger devices like laptops. Yes but it seems like a step in the right direction. Any phone with the ability to charge without a wire and just by placing it on a dock would eliminate the issue of different types of wires needed to charge different brands of phones.

It's actually possible to move electricity from one point to another without a cable. MIT has done it but was not efficient at all. Of course, once technology advances this will certainly be how things get charged in the future.

Comment

I don't imagine that it would be hard to implement phones technology into bigger devices like laptops. Yes but it seems like a step in the right direction. Any phone with the ability to charge without a wire and just by placing it on a dock would eliminate the issue of different types of wires needed to charge different brands of phones.

It's actually possible to move electricity from one point to another without a cable. MIT has done it but was not efficient at all. Of course, once technology advances this will certainly be how things get charged in the future.
                You forget, phones need glass backs as well as a special kind of chip for the signal to get through. If it doesn't have both of these, then no dice. Also, USB-C is already eliminating that issue by becoming the one cable to charge them all, and wireless charging is being reserved for flagship phones anyway as opposed to mid-range phones which are still missing said features (which don't come cheap to begin with), and not everyone can afford flagships nor may they want to change the one they already have which may or may not be capable of WC.
                Last edited by TechTastic; January 14th, 2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

You forget, phones need glass backs as well as a special kind of chip for the signal to get through. If it doesn't have both of these, then no dice. Also, USB-C is already eliminating that issue by becoming the one cable to charge them all, and wireless charging is being reserved for flagship phones anyway as opposed to mid-range phones which are still missing said features (which don't come cheap to begin with), and not everyone can afford flagships nor may they want to change the one they already have which may or may not be capable of WC.
                  Didn't forget, didn't know. Let me put it this way, if I had a million dollars to invest I'd invest it into wireless technology rather than new cables.

Comment

Didn't forget, didn't know. Let me put it this way, if I had a million dollars to invest I'd invest it into wireless technology rather than new cables.
                    I see.

In that case, fine, though there's a lot of companies doing that already, chiefly Apple with all its billions of dollars in cash (though they're doing it for more proprietary solutions like W1 for their own devices rather than for general standards).

Comment

Working...
                    X