Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you all think of the dawn of USB-C?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you all think of the dawn of USB-C?

As a lot of us may know, USB Type-C is the approaching standard that's set to replace both USB-A and Micro-USB on various gadgets and devices in the foreseeable future.

USB-A has limitations such as not being reversible and being too large which means it can only be on main systems and nothing else, and Micro-USB could only be on the smaller devices no matter what as well as not being reversible.

However, USB-C seeks to change that by striking the balance of everything that USB-A and Micro-USB can do, such as being able to work on devices of all sizes that had either one of these ports and still do as much as both of them did, and even more. From laptops to phones to headphones and even console systems, it's pretty much taking over as a port that can do almost everything from charging all devices that support it to moving more types of data in an even better manner than before. And the best part is, it's reversible, at long last.

Apple may have done a haphazard application of USB-C though where they removed almost every single port from their Macbooks except one or two-four USB-C ports and the headphone jack (surprised they had the sense to keep it on a laptop) but I guess that when all is said and done it won't be an issue any longer (even though now the excessive amounts of thunderbolt dongles needed is indeed annoying).

I believe that once it firmly puts its foot down as the new standard for USB, more types of devices than ever will be connected in many ways, and we can finally say goodbye to having to pack multiple different kinds of cables just to power a certain set of devices. I just wonder when it will finally take over across everything seeing as it has the potential to do so.

I like it but as an alternative, not a replacement. I don't like how all new hardware comes with only a USB-C jack nowadays, this should be done over time.

Comment

I'm gonna not use it just to be contrary because my devices use micro USB

Comment

Originally posted by Louay View Post
        I like it but as an alternative, not a replacement. I don't like how all new hardware comes with only a USB-C jack nowadays, this should be done over time.
        You're right, if it's to be a replacement then it has to be a slower process.

Comment

I love it, in all honesty. The fact that my Nintendo Switch and my Phone can be charged with the same cable in hella convenient. I also like that I don't have to keep turning it around until I find the right way to plug it in. I look forward to everything transitioning to it so I can get rid of the mess of cables I've collected over the years from the the old iPod cables, lightning cables, USB 2, USB Mini, Micro USB... It's just too much.

One cable to rule them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
            I love it, in all honesty. The fact that my Nintendo Switch and my Phone can be charged with the same cable in hella convenient. I also like that I don't have to keep turning it around until I find the right way to plug it in. I look forward to everything transitioning to it so I can get rid of the mess of cables I've collected over the years from the the old iPod cables, lightning cables, USB 2, USB Mini, Micro USB... It's just too much.

One cable to rule them all.
            Heavily agree with that last part, that's such an excellent and fitting way to put it.

USB-C all the things!

Comment

Personally I don't own a single device that has USB-C and I'll probably be avoiding it for as long as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Noodle-kun View Post
                Personally I don't own a single device that has USB-C and I'll probably be avoiding it for as long as possible
                What inferior standard do you use then, if I may ask?

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

What inferior standard do you use then, if I may ask?
                  My phone is microUSB, my iPad is the lightening cable and everything else is USB 2.0 or 3.0. I'm not denying the technical superiority of USB-3, I just don't have a need for it right now

Comment

My phone is microUSB, my iPad is the lightening cable and everything else is USB 2.0 or 3.0. I'm not denying the technical superiority of USB-3, I just don't have a need for it right now
                    Must be a rather old phone. iPad is understandable. And for the other devices, they must have been there a long time so no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

Must be a rather old phone. iPad is understandable. And for the other devices, they must have been there a long time so no issue.
                      not really old just budget. Moto E4 plus. I don't think most phones will be USB-C til like 2020

Comment

not really old just budget. Moto E4 plus. I don't think most phones will be USB-C til like 2020
                        The large brands and even some small ones have adopted USB-C across the board though.

Comment

I don't think most phones will be USB-C til like 202
                          Aren't most new phones and tablets USB-C already? Even the new iPad Pro is USB-C.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Aren't most new phones and tablets USB-C already? Even the new iPad Pro is USB-C.
                            I was doing a lot of phone research in August cause i needed a new phone and I can confirm most to all budget phones (ie $150 or less) are still MicroUSB. I'm predicting my 2020 even phones around that price range will me Type C

Comment

I was doing a lot of phone research in August cause i needed a new phone and I can confirm most to all budget phones (ie $150 or less) are still MicroUSB. I'm predicting my 2020 even phones around that price range will me Type C
                              Ah, I don't really deal with budget phones so I never looked at those. But I guess that makes sense, newer tech probably costs a bit more to use.

Comment

Now I understand, USB-C does introduce a higher cost of production for certain devices.

Comment

So, how much longer do you think it will it be when nearly all wireless headphones as well as phones (looking at the iPhone here) and PC's finally replace whatever USB standard they have with USB-C for good? And when can we finally bid farewell to Lightning, USB-A, MicroUSB on budget phones, etc...?

Comment

• RussianCoffeeAddict
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Something between now and 10 years, I'd wager. Stuff moves fast in the technology department.

Sounds good. Standardization isn't always good, but some things being standardized is only a blessing.

The whole "Different cord and plug-in for everything from your Switch to your barn's door" is a bit annoying after a while...

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
                                    Sounds good. Standardization isn't always good, but some things being standardized is only a blessing.

The whole "Different cord and plug-in for everything from your Switch to your barn's door" is a bit annoying after a while...
                                    Unfortunately though some companies are still releasing stuff with MicroUSB... It's long past time for it to go.

Comment

Wireless is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                      X