No announcement yet.

Are humans inherently good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't say inherently but I'd say people are generally inclined to be good.
    Even the majority of times people do bad, it's usually because they justify it to themselves as being good in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by A New Soul View Post
      I wouldn't say inherently but I'd say people are generally inclined to be good.
      Even the majority of times people do bad, it's usually because they justify it to themselves as being good in some way.
      There has to be a line somewhere tho. For example serial killers

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post

There has to be a line somewhere tho. For example serial killers
        which is why I said it's not inherent

Comment

which is why I said it's not inherent
          Your face is inherent

Comment

Humans are inherently ignorant, and need to be taught right from wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
              Humans are inherently ignorant, and need to be taught right from wrong.
              Who taught the very first human right and wrong?

Comment

Who taught the very first human right and wrong?
                A tree.
                Originally posted by Wade
                Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by Demon View Post
                  My memory's going to be a bit foggy because this was from a while ago. There was some sort of experiment, I don't remember the exact name of it, but the researchers made children watch two different scenes of a puppet show. One scene featured a mean puppet, which did mean stuff to another puppet; the other featured a nice puppet, which did nice stuff to the puppet that was victimized by the mean puppet of the other scene. Once the kids were done watching each scene, they were allowed to play with one of the puppets, but they could only choose one between the mean and the nice puppet. The kids gravitated towards the nicer puppet, which reveals an inclination towards nice, morally upright behavior. If I remember correctly, these kids weren't even old enough to talk.

You'll notice some big contributors to crime are poor mental health and a bad past. I'd say people are good until they're conditioned into being bad, or mentally abnormal.

Not only that, some people--or should I say, a large number of people--have a poor understanding of what constitutes morally upright or immoral behavior.
                  Retard:"Prostitution is immoral!1!"
                  Intelligent, sensible person:: "Why? No one gets hurt."
                  Retard: -insert incoherent emotional response-

Damage your frontal lobe and you become completely evil my friend, the fact humans with no empathy act like complete monsters where most nonhumans already lack empathy but dont spend their free time thinking of ways to torture their own species mentally or physically freaks volumes on what humans really are instinctively and that is evil pure freaking evil.

Comment

If humans were inherently good, we wouldn't need laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Duck Butter View Post
                      Damage your frontal lobe and you become completely evil my friend
                      Which now puts you in a state of "mental abnormality" since humans are designed to have fully functioning frontal lobes. I already covered this in my previous post. Also, immoral behavior that results from damaging of the frontal lobe (the part of the brain that develops the slowest, by the way; it isn't fully developed until approximately 25, but it's not like adolescents are evil) most likely stems from impaired judgement and lack of impulse control which can put yourself in danger as well—just lack of control and planning overall.
                      the fact humans with no empathy act like complete monsters
                      Well, yeah. Empathy is the driving force behind being good to other humans. Humans are inherently empathetic unless they're mentally abnormal. That, or if their life consisted of a lot of hate and violence. In which case, they're conditioned to stop giving a shit because emotionz, but deep down they still possess a natural urge to be empathetic.

where most nonhumans already lack empathy but dont spend their free time thinking of ways to torture their own species mentally or physically freaks volumes on what humans really are instinctively and that is evil pure freaking evil.
                      I'll need a source or two for the text highlighted in blue. I have seen no evidence that suggests empathy is uniquely a human trait. There are numerous cases of animals exhibiting the capacity to care about other animals, even outside of their species (including humans). http://birdingcouple.blogspot.ca/201...h-of-mate.html

There are some acts of evil committed by humans that I find baffling (Hitler’s actions, mass shootings involving innocent people), but I think even the most severe cases, including the aforementioned, can be traced to some sort of mental illness. As influential and convincing as he was to his followers, I think it's hard to believe Hitler didn't have mental issues. There's logically nothing to gain from killing all those people he did based off one little factor.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n451511
                      there's a quality to being a giant hunk of muscle mass, tbh.

Comment

Well, yeah. Empathy is the driving force behind being good to other humans. Humans are inherently empathetic unless they're mentally abnormal. That, or if their life consisted of a lot of hate and violence. In which case, they're conditioned to stop giving a shit because emotionz, but deep down they still possess a natural urge to be empathetic.
                        Humans are inherently sadistic(evil), empathy keeps that in check.

mass shootings involving innocent people
                        To a psychopath people are only tools to gratify them, killing is very fun to psychos which is why they murder alot of people for no reason from a empathetic person's point of view. The more dead humans the better the pleasure that Las Vegas dude must have orgasmed from all that murder he commited.

I think it's hard to believe Hitler didn't have mental issues.
                        Hitler did the holocaust based on the idea germans were superior to most europeans and that jewish people were a major threat to the german people thus had to be eliminated. Ethnic superiority genocide is common in human history though, holocaust only turns heads due to the kill count.

Comment

To a psychopath people are only tools to gratify them, killing is very fun to psychos which is why they murder alot of people for no reason from a empathetic person's point of view. The more dead humans the better the pleasure that Las Vegas dude must have orgasmed from all that murder he commited.

Hitler did the holocaust based on the idea germans were superior to most europeans and that jewish people were a major threat to the german people thus had to be eliminated. Ethnic superiority genocide is common in human history though, holocaust only turns heads due to the kill count.
                          hey check out my soundcloud its

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

A tree.
                            Stupid Cook.

It was a snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post

Stupid Cook.

It was a snake.
                              No, the snake made them eat from the tree that told them right from wrong! Dumb swordsman!

EDIT: Stop underestimating the powers of food!
                              Last edited by OrganizationXV; January 1st, 2018, 09:06 AM.
                              Originally posted by Wade
                              Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Claiming humans are inherently evil because the absence of empathy makes them evil is like trying to say cars aren’t meant for transportation because you encountered one with a damaged engine and tried to drive it. I’m talking about humans that possess properly functioning brains like they’re naturally meant to: empathy, logical thinking, all of that shit fully working. Similarly, you can’t say humans aren’t meant to walk because the part of their brain governing motor skills isn’t functioning properly. Pretty simple, right?

Now, you seem to be equating your conception of “evil” with “sadism”, which reveals that your definition of evil has to do with deriving gratification from inflicting harm on another human being. The absence of empathy does not guarantee engagement in sadism, it merely facilitates the choice to do so. There are people who are incapable of feeling empathy for biological reasons (psychopaths) and are well aware of their condition, but they don’t actually partake in any sadistic behavior. Similarly, someone having lots of muscle mass does not mean they’re a construction worker, but it would be easy for them to do so.
                                First of all: it doesn’t matter what a psychopath/sociopath thinks. They fit into the mentally abnormal category since they aren’t properly functioning human beings. There was a sociopath that used to kill prostitutes. He used to drive them to a bridge, choke them, throw them over the bridge into the water. He had a history of sexual abuse by his mother. There’s a documentary about him somewhere on Netflix.

Elliot Rodgers, another sociopath, has a confirmed history of mental illness: https://www.independent.com/news/201...uggle-mental-/

By the way, which Las Vegas dude?

Which is an idiotic ideology. Anyone who believes in that ideology to the extent of engaging in genocide is mentally screwed in the head. Unfortunately, sometimes such people gain power...
                                Last edited by Demon; January 1st, 2018, 11:45 AM.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n451511
                                there's a quality to being a giant hunk of muscle mass, tbh.

Comment

Good is a matter of perspective

Comment

I've thought about painful ways to torture people

Comment

Yeah

Comment

Working...
                                      X