Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got back from my Primary Care Doctor's Appointment, and the news is mostly good.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from my Primary Care Doctor's Appointment, and the news is mostly good.

1) My Iron was elevated again, so I just gave blood again to get it low. This was the only bad news I guess.

2) My blood sugar and blood pressure were very good, especially since it was not a fasting blood sugar reading, 87 is exactly where it's supposed to be.

3) I lost 9 lbs since last visit, which is very good news. Hopefully I can keep this up and lose another ~10 lbs next month.

I asked him about some medication changes my psychiatrist made a few months ago, but he said he really wasn't familiar with the new medicine. I was interested in anti-nerve pain properties, because the old anti-depressant had anti-nerve pain properties, but wasn't really working properly for my mental health. The new medication is better fit for mental health, but might not have the same nerve pain properties. I'll ask the Psychiatrist next time I see her, a week from now; I didn't think to ask about this last time, because it wasn't really an issue at the time.

I told him that I sort of broke the diet and ate too much carbs, an ice cream, and some sugary drinks in the past week, and that I suffered the past two days because of it. My nerve pain got up to a "7" on the hospital ER scale, which is the first time it has been that bad in a few years now. We thought we had it under control. I don't know whether this "splurge" caused it or the anti-depressant medication change might have contributed, but he agreed to increase my Neurontin dosage again. I don't plan on taking it unless absolutely necessary, but it's nice to know it's okay to take an extra pill if necessary. Two pills per day has been working for the past few years, but if I have to take an extra half pill or three pills per day to stop it, that's fine. I was on 4 per day for several years before we got most of it under control, so 2.5 or 3 per day is alright I guess.

I also asked more questions about what to eat and what to avoid, like I mentioned in the Asian woman thread. I asked about Chili and burgers and things like that. He said Chili was surprisingly bad for a diabetic to eat, because they add sugar to chili, which I didn't really consider. He said hamburger meat is NOT bad for you. He said it was okay to eat hamburgers with the dressings, but just don't eat the bread, and that should be enough to keep losing weight. I think 2 slices of the bun from a Burger King quarter pounder is probably about 300 calories, so just stop eating that (it turns into pure sugar when it dissolves in the body,) and I should keep losing weight apparently. So anyway, he basically said hamburger meat is actually surprisingly good for you, it's the bread which is bad for you.

So I can just carry a fork with me to work, and eat the hamburger meat without the bread, and I should be okay for weight loss. Also I'm going to stop eating Onion Rings, which will probably cut about a half-serving of carbs due to the breading they put on Onion Rings.

Edit:
    I just checked a can of chili, and apparently he's right. There are 19 grams of carbohydrates added per serving in a can of chili. This is pretty bad I guess.

This is good to know, but sucks to be me, because I kind of like chili, but now I'm going to avoid it.
    Last edited by Wade; August 26th, 2019, 04:59 PM.

Like the stupid food pyramid thing does not work. It calls for 6 to 11 servings of grain per day....this is basically induced Type 2 Diabetes. It's a joke.

My Doctor's diet calls for ZERO carbohydrates per day. No juice, no fruit (except lemon juice in water, he said,) No bread, no rice, no chili because apparently it has dead carbs added to it, and so on.

He said for breakfast he wants me to eat 2 or 3 eggs (cooked any way I like) and a piece of bacon.

Other than that, his basic message is avoid grain and avoid fruit, which I've been ignoring him and eating too much grains. If I had been obeying his suggestions, I guess I would have lost all my excess weight by now, apparently. I was only eating about 1 to 2.5 servings of carbs per day as it was, but I admitted to him that this was the case, and told him I was going to totally cut it out now, because I was sick of my health issues getting me down.

Also, I can't take a multivitamin because there is too much iron and too much calcium in a multivitamin. But he does want me on a B-12 complex supplement. I couldn't find the exact supplement he recommended at the pharmacy, but I found something pretty close to what he was recommending, so it will have to do. I've actually been taking this for several months now.
    Last edited by Wade; August 26th, 2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

How about eat a salad instead of packing in more fast food

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post
        How about eat a salad instead of packing in more fast food
        I do eat salad sometimes, but that isn't even the issue. He wants me eating meats anyway.

Comment

Why exactly do you tell us this personal information?

Comment

Also, the Asian population eats about 3 servings of rice per day, which is only half or a a quarter of the "Food Pyramid" recommendation of grain. This probably helps explain why Asians generally don't get diabetes, because in spite of the stereotype, they actually eat less grain per day than does the typical American. Even if they did get Diabetes, it wouldn't be too big of a deal to scale it back some.

whenever I was younger, I was probably honestly eating about 6 servings per day of carbs for most of my life. This might not have been that big of a deal whenever I was taking 5 nights per week of karate and kickboxing classes, but as I got older and could no longer afford the time and money to be taking that constantly, I got out of shape and gained some weight, and I didn't really change my diet to reflect less exercise. I don't know how much, but you probably burn around 250 calories per hour in a Cardio Kickboxing class, and probably another 100 calories per hour in a traditional karate class, so you can see how I could afford to be eating more carbs back then. But now that I don't really do much physical workouts, I need to cut the calories even more drastically than I previously realized. If I follow these new suggestions, I'm pretty confident I should be able to lose another 10lbs in the next 30 days or so, and probably a total of about 30 pounds across a 6 months period. I'd be in pretty good physical shape if I did that.

I shouldn't need too much exercise if I cut another 300 calories per day. A few crunches, push-ups, and some alternating toe touches should be about all I need, maybe walk a few miles per week too wouldn't hurt. I'm not paying for a gym membership, even though that's technically cheaper than a martial arts membership, I've never really been a fan of training with weights anyway.

Comment

why not just make your own chili and not put sugar in it
              Originally posted by Kajin_Style
              I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
                why not just make your own chili and not put sugar in it
                Yeah I know, right? I plan on doing that some anyway.

I just checked google to see how much carbs are in a large Wendy's Chili, and it's even worse than the can of chili I checked a few minutes ago.

According to this website, it's 23g of carbs in a large Wendy's chili. This is about half as much as is in a 12oz can of soda, which is a disaster I guess.

https://www.calorieking.com/us/en/fo...RgeyTMvgLXs61Q

I mean, who knew it was really that bad? I was eating Wendy's chili to avoid eating the fucking carbs from the sandwich or a potato, and the damn chili has almost as much carbs as a baked potato. It's ridiculous.

So my doctor said eat the meat without the bread. Simple enough.

but yeah, home made chili sounds like a better option anyway. Just meat, some tomatoes and some spices.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

I do eat salad sometimes, but that isn't even the issue. He wants me eating meats anyway.
                  So eat lean meats like chicken or turkey without adding a bunch of diabetic poison to it. Eat fish and if you're going to eat beef don't get the processed fake stuff. If you wanna get fast food switch to subway instead of Wendy's. And work out. Do some hiit like 3 days a week for only 20 mins a day and if you're gonna snack get some veggie chips and jerky sticks. Drink a protein shake to replace dinner.

Oh, and drink a fuck ton of tea. Green tea during the day and chamomile at night. Mix some lemon and ginger or peppermint in there.
                  Last edited by Chara; August 26th, 2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Glad you're getting shit figured out, dude. I had a diet I was trying out that almost immediately fizzled out.
                    Originally posted by Wade
                    Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                      Glad you're getting shit figured out, dude. I had a diet I was trying out that almost immediately fizzled out.
                      Yeah man you don't have to stop eating the stuff you like either. Just treat yourself in reasonable portions like different days of the week

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post

So eat lean meats like chicken or turkey without adding a bunch of diabetic poison to it. Eat fish and if you're going to eat beef don't get the processed fake stuff. If you wanna get fast food switch to subway instead of Wendy's. And work out. Do some hiit like 3 days a week for only 20 mins a day and if you're gonna snack get some veggie chips and jerky sticks. Drink a protein shake to replace dinner.

Oh, and drink a fuck ton of tea. Green tea during the day and chamomile at night. Mix some lemon and ginger or peppermint in there.
                        I wasn't eating fast food every day anyway, but it had gotten out of hand.

I did some research just last night about the best dishes to order from Asian restaurants too. Obviously they (WebMD) said avoid Fried Rice (It's white rice) but they said brown rice is okay for most people, but probably not for Type 2 Diabetics. They want you to avoid most of the sauces if possible, too much sodium and sugar/carbs in the sauces. Overall they said the best thing you can order is probably stir fry vegetables with chicken or shrimp.

As for cutting more dead calories out of my diet, if I avoid the "combo" at the burger joint, that actually cuts calories by 450 to 500. There's a ridiculous amount of calories from the oil in an order of french fries, and onion rings are even worse than fries apparently. So If I stop eating the combo, and throw away the bread like my doctor says, that's like 700 to 800 calories reduced. I didn't realize it was that bad. I thought fries or onion rings was like a few hundred calories, not 500 calories. Turns out a large Onion Rings at Burger King has 64 grams of Carbohydrates, which is 50% more than a normal 12 oz can of soda, which is ridiculous. So with this knowledge in hand I am confident that a few minor changes will allow me to cut another 10 lbs in the next month.

Stir fry vegetables with chicken or shrimp, can't eat shrimp too often though due to high cholesterol content.
                        Meat with no bread.
                        Side salad instead of anything else, not sure whether it's worth eating any dressing on it, probably nothing healthy anyway.
                        Stop eating any potatoes and stop eating onion rings, this is actually the biggest ticket item on the menu. This change alone should make me cut weight pretty well, as it's apparently a quarter of my daily calorie intake presently, as I didn't realize it was that bad, else I wouldn't have been eating the shit to begin with.

I think this will allow another 10 lbs lost in the next month, and I think if I continue these changes going forward I could probably continue cutting maybe 5 lbs per month for the next several months until I reach my "ideal body weight", which is supposedly about 190 - 195 lbs. This should require about 5 or 6 months. I'd be pretty ripped at 195lbs to be honest, and I haven't been that size since I was 19 years old, but I think it should be possible for me to do that now that I know these things.

Comment

Man, I think I just blew my diet for the day. It was going so well, until I stopped by Asian Fusion Cuisine again today.

I ordered a Chicken Bistro with broccoli and carrots and black pea sauce. The side dish was chicken fried rice. I wish I had thought about asking for a substitution of the rice for another vegetable maybe.

I've had black pea sauce before with a catfish dish I purchased at another Asian restaurant in the past, so I knew it would be pretty good.

So this dish was so freaking delicious I ate it about as fast as I could physically swallow the stuff....and I ate the whole freaking pint of fried rice on the side (like an idiot) which probably blows my anti-carb diet for the day out of the water.

I haven't used Google to check to see how much bad ingredients are in a Chinese black pea sauce, but I guess I should do that now. Too late though, the deed is done, and that was some damned good eating.

Comment

Tonight I had Kimchi Soup (Large). I googled it and a close match in ingredients only has about 200 calories for 2 cups worth. I ate more like 4 cups, so be generous maybe 500 calories.

It's spicier than I had expected. I had several shrimp and scallops in mine, but not much crab meat. I had never eaten scallops before, but in the soup they taste basically the same as shrimp. The crab definitely tastes like crab though.

It has two different types of noodles in it, but not much. I figure it probably only totaled to 1 serving of carbs for the day, so I can live with that.

Comment

Update:

I have lost another 7 pounds since I made this post. It looks like my doctor's diet really works: Just stop eating carbs and fruit all together and you'll lose weight no matter what else you eat, but I'm eating a lot more vegetables now too.

My high weight a few months ago was 238lbs. Now I am down to 216lbs, which is a 22lbs reduction in about 6 weeks. I hope to lose another 26lbs and get down to 190lbs, which is only a few pounds above my supposed ideal weight. I have broader shoulders than average, so I think my true ideal weight is probably a few pounds heavier than what the chart says anyway, but we'll see. At this rate I should be able to hit my target in about 2 months or so, which is nice.

The other day, my Psychiatrist noticed how much weight I've lost and complimented me on it. She said I looked a lot better and was smiling more and such. I can say I look better in the mirror, I no longer have a double-chin and my belly has shrunk a few inches. I hope to lose a few more inches off my belly in the next few months. She said my old anti-depressant might have been causing some weight gain too, but the new medicine she has me on, which is actually an anti-schizophrenia medicine, does not have that side effect, so the change in medication might be helping me lose weight too.

Comment

• #83.6666666667
                                #83.6666666667 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Good on you man.

Update:

I've lost several more pounds, not exactly sure. My scale at the house is a little broken, but it has me somewhere between 200 and 205, which means I've lost like another 10 lbs in the past week alone. I will know next time I see a doctor, which should be in two weeks.

Mostly all I've changed is quit eating bread and rice and quit eating onion rings and fries. I haven't really even exercised.

I swear I'm losing 2 ounces of body fat and fluid for every 1 ounce of this stuff I skipped eating. It's ridiculous what carbohydrates have been doing to my body for all these years.
                              Last edited by Wade; September 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X