How did we go from THIS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
    The point of the weapon durability is to allow the game to constantly be able to reward you with new weapons while simultaneously not making anything (as) redundant and useless (and to not need to worry about scaling relative to difficulty, which means you also don't have to worry about making areas impossible for some level people and annoyingly easy for others). And aside from that, it also encourages you to look around and scavenge for shit, because you never know what you can find.

Did anyone really have a problem with running out of weapons though? That's literally never been an issue for me, once I got off the plateau.
    Funny how it had the opposite effect for a lot of people and just made them avoid fights altogether since most of them end in a net loss all around. With all the different ores and shit it's amazing how you couldn't actually use them to repair and even improve your weapons with them. The game even has a blacksmith in the Goron town but just like pretty much every fucking thing else in this disappoint-a-thon of a game he's absolutely pointless. It also makes getting weapons as rewards or finding them in chests a big "meh" since you'll be losing it in like 10 swings anyways.

Or better yet just not have all these paper mache weapons in the first place. Zelda was doing just fine without the absolute worst weapon durability mechanic in any game ever, no idea why it suddenly needed to have it now.
    Last edited by Pocket Rocket; December 28th, 2018, 11:26 PM.
    Originally posted by Kajin_Style
    I say the japanese schoolgirl. She'll pull out a whistle and summon a mecha to fight for her.
    Meanwhile the catholic girl prays to an imaginary god that throughout all his biblical feats has not once saved someone from a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
      No issue with getting weapons in general, but sometimes you just don't want to use the iron swords and magic rods you constantly pick up. Especially once you get a taste of the royal weapons.

Would it have been so bad for Nintendo to allow Link to break weapons down to their base components and then use those components to repair other weapons?
      That's such an interesting paradigm to me, though. You have to analyze your situation and decide whether it's worth it to use up the durability on your sick-ass fishman spear on the giant black moblin, or if you should save it for the Lynel fight up ahead. You don't want to make the royal weapons the new status quo because if you do, then they're not special weapons anymore, they're the normal ones. And the normal ones become the shitty ones, and the shitty ones become an eyesore. That means that any time you do use the awesome weapons, then it still feels special because it's a sweet treat you rarely let yourself have.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
        That's such an interesting paradigm to me, though. You have to analyze your situation and decide whether it's worth it to use up the durability on your sick-ass fishman spear on the giant black moblin, or if you should save it for the Lynel fight up ahead. You don't want to make the royal weapons the new status quo because if you do, then they're not special weapons anymore, they're the normal ones. And the normal ones become the shitty ones, and the shitty ones become an eyesore. That means that any time you do use the awesome weapons, then it still feels special because it's a sweet treat you rarely let yourself have.
        They could have just made it so there were only a couple royal weapons in the game, then... All the mechanic really manages to accomplish is making you avoid unnecessary battles since you don't want to break your weapons. Maybe if the weapons were more durable, there wouldn't be as big of an issue. But an iron sword will break after two or three swings on a stone talus or even the black moblins. They become, essentially, useless in the late game. But you still find them en masse.

And then they compounded the issue with the whole inventory management system. You have to carry a shitload of weapons with you, because all but the best weapons break within a few swings, but you've got limited space to carry them.

In the early game it frustrated me and I avoided combat often and would handle almost all big encounters from a distance with bows and bombs if I had no choice but to fight. In the late game, I kept a supply of royal weapons by hunting black hinox.

Comment

Working...
        X