This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OrganizationXV
    started a topic What's on your mind this time?

What's on your mind this time?

A.K.A. "What's on your mind atm 2.0".

Changed for copyright reasons.

Last edited by P408370R; November 3rd, 2018, 05:53 PM.

• Max
    replied
    Originally posted by Helly View Post

ill be sure to bop it then as im sticking kp in the oven =)
    wow rude

Leave a comment:

• Max
    commented on 's reply
    mainstream music bad

• Helly
    replied
    Originally posted by Cid View Post

I get ya, man. Katy Perry might be hot but her music sure is terrible.

But seriously, it's not even video games. Not any longer. I can't think of any modern video games where people online are like. "Whoa, this song is amazing. Check it out!" It's because music, even in video games, has become a backdrop. In movies and games alike... You don't need to set a tone for the scene with music now. The visual effects and the actors (both VAs and top Hollywood talent) set the scene.

Back during the NES, SNES, and PS1 eras in games, you had constrictions on what you could do graphically and what kind of voice work or sound effects you could have in a game because of space limitations and technology. The music, many times, was what we relied on to tell us what mood to be in for that part. It set the tone. So music was incredibly important to the story being told on the screen.

Take my favorite game, Final Fantasy VII. The field sprites are so goddamn awful that you can't tell whether Cloud is scratching his head or jacking off when he moves his arm up and down. You watch the scene where Aerith dies when there's no audio and what do you have? Some weird, vaguely human-looking polygons tumbling around on screen with what is supposed to be sad dialogue flashing across. It's more comical than anything. But crank the volume up and you hear Aerith's theme playing and it becomes -truly- sad. The song is everything in that scene. Without it, there's no emotional payoff.

You don't really have that anymore. Games like Final Fantasy 15 or Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have good musical scores. But they're not meant to stand out, they're not there to catch your attention and amplify what you're experiencing. The sole purpose of the music is to blend into the background and become part of the scenery.

The same thing can be said for movies now, too. Film scores have taken a backseat to what's being shown on-screen. You don't really have any Lux Aeterna or Ecstasy of Gold in modern film.
    tbh her ilk is so repulsive to me i dont even find her physically attractive. she's a glorified bum, mooching off the work of other people. I can't respect someone like that at all. These people dont even perform live, you know? they have a voice track play behind their """"""""""dancing"""""""""" because their singing sucks. Literally worthless. The automation of their "jobs" cannot come fast enough.

idk about that. I recall a convo i had with snad, ladd, and a few others about vg music and everyone was just sharing their fav tracks with each other. It doesnt happen too often, but people do still come to have appreciation of soundtracks especially if that game makes a very particular type of impression as was the case with Nier Automota (i distinctly recall a few of its tracks being posted to the discord during that aforementioned conversation).

thinkin about it now, video games in general seem to be increasingly where the last rays of creativity still shine on a comparatively normal basis......i mean, we still got normie shit like CoD, dont get me wrong, but something - some indie project that showcases a great amount of heart and intrigue, for instance - can quickly gain a cult following and be allowed to flourish and be fully appreciated even years after its release. i think its because of how much investment they demand, and just how immersed you get into it because it demands all your attention if it's something story/campaign-based. as a result, something bland and uninspired will get dropped pretty fast unless it's tailored to exploit a certain addictive personality trait, like what we see in pay-to-win or adult harem games. I guess thats a parallel to the music industry in some ways, but based on what I've seen i still think it's easier to make something artsy and difficult and still have it succeed in the vg industry than in the music industry JUST because games are gonna demand not only your eyes and ears but your own input as well. As such, they cannot be put on the backburner as easily and so they will have to make something that's at least somewhat interesting so that everyone doesn't just flock somewhere else.

Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
    helly if ur so good how come ur not famous yet lol
    psh

kid, i created a new genre and became a legend among legit pros all in one day. how many philososaphy books have u sold

Originally posted by Max View Post
    California Girls was a bop
    ill be sure to bop it then as im sticking kp in the oven =)

Leave a comment:

• Chara
    replied
    Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
    He is stfu wryyyyyyy

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    California Girls was a bop

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied
    Originally posted by Helly View Post

I was just disappointed because of its implications - at best, that people are only introduced to a modicum of dynamic songwriting in video games, or at worst that my material was too complicated and lengthy to be listened to as anything other than a backdrop. I wasnt exactly insulted - i kno there are competent composers in the vg industry. I just hate that this is the corner creativity has been relegated to, and that symphonic elements nowadays are so rare and dead that they only come out in vg OSTs. it makes me despise pop music that much more. lol. i genuinely hste it. i hate it so fucking much, my god. the idea that some stupid clueless tittywhore like Katy Perry gets on TV and is taken seriously by impressionable children and has her name plastered all over the work of other people, it genuinely makes my blood boil. I cant wait until pop icons are replaced by AI. I'll happily introduce the first one myself and tailor every aspect of it to perfection to leave these insufferable twats out of a job in music and force them back to waiting tables at their local Hooters where they belong. thats what these people are nowadays anyway, flesh and blood VSTs. except they cant hold a fukken note without the magic of editing.
    I get ya, man. Katy Perry might be hot but her music sure is terrible.

But seriously, it's not even video games. Not any longer. I can't think of any modern video games where people online are like. "Whoa, this song is amazing. Check it out!" It's because music, even in video games, has become a backdrop. In movies and games alike... You don't need to set a tone for the scene with music now. The visual effects and the actors (both VAs and top Hollywood talent) set the scene.

Back during the NES, SNES, and PS1 eras in games, you had constrictions on what you could do graphically and what kind of voice work or sound effects you could have in a game because of space limitations and technology. The music, many times, was what we relied on to tell us what mood to be in for that part. It set the tone. So music was incredibly important to the story being told on the screen.

Take my favorite game, Final Fantasy VII. The field sprites are so goddamn awful that you can't tell whether Cloud is scratching his head or jacking off when he moves his arm up and down. You watch the scene where Aerith dies when there's no audio and what do you have? Some weird, vaguely human-looking polygons tumbling around on screen with what is supposed to be sad dialogue flashing across. It's more comical than anything. But crank the volume up and you hear Aerith's theme playing and it becomes -truly- sad. The song is everything in that scene. Without it, there's no emotional payoff.

You don't really have that anymore. Games like Final Fantasy 15 or Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have good musical scores. But they're not meant to stand out, they're not there to catch your attention and amplify what you're experiencing. The sole purpose of the music is to blend into the background and become part of the scenery.

The same thing can be said for movies now, too. Film scores have taken a backseat to what's being shown on-screen. You don't really have any Lux Aeterna or Ecstasy of Gold in modern film.
    Last edited by Cid; May 19th, 2019, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DokTOR.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Helly
    replied
    You felt insulted having your music compared to video game tracks? Smh.

Nobuo Uematsu (composer for the Final Fantasy series as well as having worked on Chrono Trigger) is probably one of the greatest musical minds of the last century.
    I was just disappointed because of its implications - at best, that people are only introduced to a modicum of dynamic songwriting in video games, or at worst that my material was too complicated and lengthy to be listened to as anything other than a backdrop. I wasnt exactly insulted - i kno there are competent composers in the vg industry. I just hate that this is the corner creativity has been relegated to, and that symphonic elements nowadays are so rare and dead that they only come out in vg OSTs. it makes me despise pop music that much more. lol. i genuinely hste it. i hate it so fucking much, my god. the idea that some stupid clueless tittywhore like Katy Perry gets on TV and is taken seriously by impressionable children and has her name plastered all over the work of other people, it genuinely makes my blood boil. I cant wait until pop icons are replaced by AI. I'll happily introduce the first one myself and tailor every aspect of it to perfection to leave these insufferable twats out of a job in music and force them back to waiting tables at their local Hooters where they belong. thats what these people are nowadays anyway, flesh and blood VSTs. except they cant hold a fukken note without the magic of editing.

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied
    You felt insulted having your music compared to video game tracks? Smh.

Nobuo Uematsu (composer for the Final Fantasy series as well as having worked on Chrono Trigger) is probably one of the greatest musical minds of the last century.

Leave a comment:

• Helly
    replied
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGqN1ZOEJQ

OrganizationXV Cid

so, i think i figured out why so many people get a video game-ish vibe from alot of my stuff lol. even if you've never played Chrono Trigger, its impact and influence is sure to have been felt throughout much of the industry, and yea looking at this now I can see that my way of approaching melody is very similar to that of the Chrono Trigger composers.

.....I remember, a long time ago, when I was talking about Meshuggah's rare melodic explorations and how much I enjoyed them, and how I wanted to do something similar except I wanted to take it to the side of beauty and serenity rather than aggression and terror. Meshuggah's entire approach is based in the subversion of expectation, and they really took it to an extreme not just on the tonal side but on the rhythmic side as well. Their music has this really alien and warped feel that would be at home in a sci-fi horror setting, it was so foreign and (to me) it sounded beautiful as well, and I sought to bring some of that over to a more calming setting.

I remember the first time I was able to do something with that concept in mind. Alot of people missed the point of it, which is understandable since I only ran the pattern once rather than repeating it, but despite that I knew that I was onto something:

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/a-fair-countess

Name the scale that's in. Or just try humming the root note you think it's in. You can't. I dare you, i double-dare you

lol

anyway, and then there's my To The Ends Of This World track, a piece that thoroughly baffled and simultaneously captivated the various hip-hop producers I showed it to. several times in that thread, they said it was unpredictable and unlike anything they had heard in hip hop, but that it was awesome and beautiful at the same time. and yes.....a few of them ALSO said, much to my frustration at the time, that it had a video game feel to it. Lul, well now I understand why. I had thought, at first, that maybe it was just that video game osts were the only place that the average person was exposed to genuine song progression nowadays (as opposed to the brainless, soulless, 3 minute verse-chorus-verse-choruse-bridge-chorus structure of mainstream music), and to an extent that might still be true..............but now I must admit that I di see alot of parallels here between my style and that of these VG composers: the subversion of expectation, the tonal tension and ambiguity, and how it all comes together to create something ethereal and floaty and wonderful....

i see, i see....

Leave a comment:

• Helly
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post

Whenever I'm stuck in s state of forgetfulness, I take a deep breath and think about a really happy moment in my life.

I let it sink in, and I resume the rest of my day with the calmness required to eventually recall whatever I may have been forgetting.

Whenever I'm feeling down and utterly useless, I write happy thoughts and notes for me on a piece of paper for me to read throughout the day.

Then, I pray with all of my heart for the salvation of humanity, and their deliverance from suffering.

I'm not certain just how effective my advice be on you, but I do hope that you have the support whenever you need help. ^u^
    its fine now, just some nerves i had under a bit of performance pressure. things eventually turned out better than expected.....which will become its own stress in the form of trying to meet the expectations i've set for myself, but im just happy things could work and my first tentative steps into a new community of creators gave me the proof that i am on the right track.

when im feeling something a bit more existential i usually just listen to choir chants. my favourite ones thus far are mostly russian orthodox (russian in general is pretty great, tbh), but I've recently come across a gregorian chant that is both relaxing and awe-inspiring

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SWLkPJpmBBU

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    commented on 's reply
    MyGod101 as many as you want, mate. So long as you're not spamming.Just click on the section you want your new thread in and there will be a button for a new topic above the threads.

• MyGod101
    commented on 's reply
    I'll will check it out, how many threads can you make in one day?

• Cid
    replied
    Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

What was I thinking about? Posting images or changing your title or something?
    Not entirely sure.

https://www.t5forums.com/forum/main-...-updates/page2

These are the details for how ranks work.

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    replied

Should be 10 posts. So you should be able to make them now.
    What was I thinking about? Posting images or changing your title or something?

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied
    Originally posted by MyGod101 View Post
    Exactly...How many posts do you need to be able to make a thread on here?
    Should be 10 posts. So you should be able to make them now.

Leave a comment:

• MyGod101
    commented on 's reply
    that right their is the friendliest Cat in the world.

• MyGod101
    commented on 's reply
    Okay, well I am nearly at 25 post right now so once I get their I'll try it out.

• Mr.Sunshine
    replied
    I pray that everyone's had a spectacular day, and I hope that everyone has a good night's rest.

Good night, T5Forums and dear friends of the world. <3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X