X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is America

no thread?
    thoughts???

The video is more interesting than the music its self.

Poetry In Motion

Comment

That the Childish Gambino song that's been getting attention lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
        That the Childish Gambino song that's been getting attention lately?
        Yeah.

Originally posted by #83.6666666667
        2/3 of the population was Protestants, 1/3 was Catholic ... Therefore, the majority was Protestant and most were Catholic ...

Comment

It's good to see an artist use their music video to do something interesting. It was a lot like his show Atlanta in that he went over the top to cover up some of the more subtle shit he was doing.

Comment

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit

Comment

What an interesting message that has never been said before /s
              Originally posted by Oneiros
              In that case, I’m the biggest faggot on the block.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeIntoTruth View Post
                The video is more interesting than the music its self.
                T-That's intentional. In a turn of events, it's the audio that is straightforward (if not outright background noise); and it's the visuals that serve as a layered allegory. Even if you don't personally like (or, more likely, understand) it, you have to give Gambino props for doing something new. I don't even like him like that and I think it's cool how he's applying "cinematography" to his music. Accordingly, the video actually plays a more critical role than the lyrics themselves rather than just serving as an arbitrary complement like in any other song. Similarly, his musical roots are evident in Atlanta.
                Last edited by Oneiros; May 14th, 2018, 02:50 AM.

Comment

lando makes good memes

Comment

Song had some nice ad-libs
                    Originally posted by Wade;n484984
                    As Bill Cosby once said, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

Comment

Vid has eclipsed the solo film lol.

Comment

Kinda insane how much coverage this is getting. Even big newspaper media is decoding the meaning of the video.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
                          Kinda insane how much coverage this is getting. Even big newspaper media is decoding the meaning of the video.
                          Donald Glover is one of the biggest stars in the world so it's not that crazy, who has ever been a critically acclaimed musician/actor/director/writer/comedian all at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

Donald Glover is one of the biggest stars in the world so it's not that crazy, who has ever been a critically acclaimed musician/actor/director/writer/comedian all at the same time?
                            He didn't have the status that huge "stars" have. Just look at his projects. He was in a low budget movie (which I really liked) and was in T.V. shows, that's bottom tier level status. His most popular work came via music. There a ton of talented people that are very good at in many mediums of entertainment, that doesn't guarantee success. And I think you're underestimating the cultural impact this is having at the moment. This isn't just being pick up by late night shows, actual news media is interested enough in this to not only comment on its success but actually breaking down the meaning of the song. This is leaving a footprint more so in mainstream culture than it is in the music industry.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

He didn't have the status that huge "stars" have. Just look at his projects. He was in a low budget movie (which I really liked) and was in T.V. shows, that's bottom tier level status. His most popular work came via music. There a ton of talented people that are very good at in many mediums of entertainment, that doesn't guarantee success. And I think you're underestimating the cultural impact this is having at the moment. This isn't just being pick up by late night shows, actual news media is interested enough in this to not only comment on its success but actually breaking down the meaning of the song. This is leaving a footprint more so in mainstream culture than it is in the music industry.
                              Did you just google his name to find out who he was when this video started getting some buzz? Donald Glover has been mainstream famous for awhile which is why he is one of the leads in an upcoming Star wars movie (literally the most popular franchise in the world) dude has Grammy's, Golden Globes and Emmy's.
                              Last edited by EnemyOfDaState; May 16th, 2018, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Did you just google his name to find out who he was when this video started getting some buzz? Donald Glover has been mainstream famous for awhile which is why he is one of the leads in an upcoming Star wars movie (literally the most popular franchise in the world) dude has Grammy's, Golden Globes and Emmy's.
                                Also he’s voicing simba from the fucking LION KING a movie that’ll easily do a billion and then some. Donglover is massive right now
                                Last edited by Smilodon; May 16th, 2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Literally did not know who this negro was before this
                                  Originally posted by Oneiros
                                  In that case, I’m the biggest faggot on the block.

Comment

Did you just google his name to find out who he was when this video started getting some buzz?
                                    Remember who you're talking to

lmao

83 listens to Hopsin unironically

Comment

Who is Donald Glover? I mean if you want to pretend he was a bigger name than he actually was (he wasn't) then go for it. Really, lol, you're going to cite lead Star Wars actors as an indication of popularity? Does anyone care about any of those prizes? The Oscar's are important but the Emmy's?

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

Remember who you're talking to

lmao

83 listens to Hopsin unironically
                                        Do you know how much I pity you? Stop before I don't.

Comment

Working...
                                        X