Compositions and music ideas by Helly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helly View Post

just figured it out. You just gotta go to your tracks, and a lost of all your stuff should be displayed. just mouse over the track and a few icons should come up immediately, one of them is a trash bin just click on that to delete a track
    Ty :3

Comment

ill rest when im dead

Dissonant? Hmm, well thats no good :S is it the percussion? were there too many cymbal crashes? I guess i could tone back the guitar a bit as well, i did get the feeling that it was using too many chords for a backing instrument.....
      Then, you should procure the ability to rest without dying, if that's the case, Helly.

It was neither the percussion nor the beating of the drums- it was the assortment of vocals, if they were actual vocals sampled into the beginning of the piece and not a similar acoustic sound replicating vocals, used in those first fifteen seconds of the piece that I- personally, found to be dissonant.
      I simply didn't find it to be quite pleasant for my taste, but that's just my opinion on it.
      If you personally found it to be necessary and an invaluable component of the piece, then I'd support of its inclusion in the piece, even if I- personally, didn't fall in love with it.
      Always improve on your craft, and make it exclusively your own- to the best of your abilities, my friend. ^_^

Make sure to rest properly- no excuses nor rebuttals accepted!

Comment

eh

why not

hopefully more than two ppl will give a shit about this one lol

now lemme see if i can remember my Soundcloud info....

-EDIT-

Thread where Imma share some music I did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.:Classical:.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grandmother Clock(Downloadable Demo)(Dedicated to my abuela :])

http://picosong.com/i2nA/

The Sanctuary In The Sky(Reveries)(Incomplete)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/rev...y-in-the-sky-1

Untitled composition idea #1(Reveries)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/c-1-2

A Fair Countess(Reveries)(Incomplete)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/a-fair-countess

.:Hip-Hop:.

The Forgotten Ones (The Hip-Hop Compendium)(Downloadable Demo)

http://picosong.com/wFUNP/

New Beginnings (Odds and Ends)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/odd...new-beginnings

Melvin (Odds and Ends)(Incomplete)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/odds-and-ends-melvin

Rain(Odds and Ends)(Incomplete)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/rain

Untitled Hip-hop idea #1(Odds and Ends)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/asdf

Organ (Odds and Ends)(Incomplete)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/odds-and-ends-organ

Afterhours (Odds and Ends)(Incomplete)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/odd...nds-afterhours

Royal Flush (Incomplete)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/roy...sh-variation-1

.:Electronic:.

Unanything(Orchestral/Electronic Remix)(Original by Meshuggah)

https://soundcloud.com/xlhellylx/una...ectronic-remix

Iridescent(free download)

http://picosong.com/vf2J/

Walley(free download)

http://picosong.com/vfVJ/

Your classic music doesn't sound like classical music. It sounds like video game music. The legend of Zelda type of game (2D) music.

Edit: Actually all the genres sound the same. This is what I meant when I said it is difficult to see things from different perspectives on your own (my book thread ), thus you need to borrow or copy from other people.
        Last edited by #83.6666666667; January 9th, 2018, 01:39 AM. Reason: Added

Comment

And when will you post that track you sent to some hotshot in Mexico, here?

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post

Ty :3
            no prob brotendo ;0

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post

Then, you should procure the ability to rest without dying, if that's the case, Helly.

It was neither the percussion nor the beating of the drums- it was the assortment of vocals, if they were actual vocals sampled into the beginning of the piece and not a similar acoustic sound replicating vocals, used in those first fifteen seconds of the piece that I- personally, found to be dissonant.
            I simply didn't find it to be quite pleasant for my taste, but that's just my opinion on it.
            If you personally found it to be necessary and an invaluable component of the piece, then I'd support of its inclusion in the piece, even if I- personally, didn't fall in love with it.
            Always improve on your craft, and make it exclusively your own- to the best of your abilities, my friend. ^_^

Make sure to rest properly- no excuses nor rebuttals accepted!
            sleep is the cousin of death....

Ah! Yes, Im afraid the AlterEgo virtual instrument is the best thing I have access to when it comes to vocals :p the vocals are a program I type words into and put in the notation and it tries to play everything according to my instruction. I've used it before - in my New Beginnings instrumental and in the Sanctuary track - but this is the first time I've used it to express actual lyrics and not just for simple vowel sounds. I may have to go back to using it for vowels here as well if its so dissonant

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

Your classic music doesn't sound like classical music. It sounds like video game music. The legend of Zelda type of game (2D) music.

Edit: Actually all the genres sound the same. This is what I meant when I said it is difficult to see things from different perspectives on your own (my book thread ), thus you need to borrow or copy from other people.
            It sounds to me like what you are attempting to describe is contemporary classical, which is still classical. I've had people on classical forums point me in the way of John Adams, Phillip Glass, Gustav Mahler, Arnold Schoenberg, and many others. It was through Schoenberg that I eventually discovered Alexander Scriabin, who in my humble opinion completely trumps even Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with his incomparable brilliance.

Anyway, much of the art music I have posted publicly was heavily influenced by Brandon Musser who can for the most part be placed under Glass's camp, so most of it can indeed be classified as minimalist, but I do have a number of ideas for something more reminiscent of a dramatic piece like Mahler's 5th in the works. Naturally, that will take much longer to finish, but I do intend to publicize any considerable progress I make.

And when will you post that track you sent to some hotshot in Mexico, here?
            When it's released officially.

Comment

sleep is the cousin of death....

Ah! Yes, Im afraid the AlterEgo virtual instrument is the best thing I have access to when it comes to vocals :p the vocals are a program I type words into and put in the notation and it tries to play everything according to my instruction. I've used it before - in my New Beginnings instrumental and in the Sanctuary track - but this is the first time I've used it to express actual lyrics and not just for simple vowel sounds. I may have to go back to using it for vowels here as well if its so dissonant
              Even then, you must rest- its for your own good.

Understood.
              Do you- personally, find it to be dissonant?
              I'm asking such a question as I don't want you to blindly abide to my opinion on it alone- always remember to formulate your own opinions/taste(s) as you go on, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post

Even then, you must rest- its for your own good.

Understood.
                Do you- personally, find it to be dissonant?
                I'm asking such a question as I don't want you to blindly abide to my opinion on it alone- always remember to formulate your own opinions/taste(s) as you go on, my friend.
                In terms of melodic dissonance? Not really. The vocals are performing the top half of the idea I posted for piano a few days ago, and there was no dissonance present in those thirds. I could see some potential tonal dissonance with the guitar, though, since it does kind of go its own way in the first segment - that's what I thought you might have been referring to at first. The vocal synth itself is certainly lacking, though. It's alright for long and drawn out notes, but when I need it to enunciate actual words at a faster rate its limitations immediately become apparent. I do intend to use an actual human voice in the final version, for now the AlterEgo vst is simply a placeholder....

Comment

It sounds to me like what you are attempting to describe is contemporary classical, which is still classical. I've had people on classical forums point me in the way of John Adams, Phillip Glass, Gustav Mahler, Arnold Schoenberg, and many others. It was through Schoenberg that I eventually discovered Alexander Scriabin, who in my humble opinion completely trumps even Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with his incomparable brilliance.

Anyway, much of the art music I have posted publicly was heavily influenced by Brandon Musser who can for the most part be placed under Glass's camp, so most of it can indeed be classified as minimalist, but I do have a number of ideas for something more reminiscent of a dramatic piece like Mahler's 5th in the works. Naturally, that will take much longer to finish, but I do intend to publicize any considerable progress I make.

When it's released officially.
                  If you're trying to imitate or base your style off Alexander, it still seems very different. The similarity I see is of convulsion in both of your music. But his seems to have better rhythm and still has a very strong link to classical music. While yours sounds more electronic based. And out of all the genders you posted, electronic seems to be your better work.
                  It seems like you tried to smash both Musser's style and Alexander's together. It wasn't very good to my taste. Like I said, it sounded like video game music.

Okay, let's see how you approach that.

When will that be?

Comment

Ok...this ones gonna feel very out of left field for some of yall, but I think you will all enjoy it if for no other reason than it being longer than a minute and 15 seconds lol....Over 7 minutes in length so far, to be a bit more precise.

:]

I've been doing alot of visualization experiments lately....yknow, where I just try my best to shut out the immediate world for a few minutes and really envision something out there, some musing or other that captivates me. Sometimes its angels, others its some character or critical plot point in one of my novel ideas....This time, it was pirates. Yes. Helly is all over the place.

http://picosong.com/wyRUa/

feel that tension....feel the drums of war....jesus....god, why did u give me so many gifts....leave sum gifts for the other ppl......

feel free to download, bois!

Cid Chara Mr.Sunshine and i know he told me not to tag him because he'd check the thread regularly, but this is critical because its a pretty lengthy piece OrganizationXV

ill make a tldr thread for err1 else when its completed, but for now enjoy the demo my most devoted listeners!

If you're trying to imitate or base your style off Alexander, it still seems very different. The similarity I see is of convulsion in both of your music. But his seems to have better rhythm and still has a very strong link to classical music. While yours sounds more electronic based. And out of all the genders you posted, electronic seems to be your better work.
                    It seems like you tried to smash both Musser's style and Alexander's together. It wasn't very good to my taste. Like I said, it sounded like video game music.

Okay, let's see how you approach that.

When will that be?

"Convulsion", elaborate

"Electronic based", also elaborate

"Mash both Musser and Alexander", I don't see how that's possible since all except one track in the OP were made before I ever discovered Scriabin, doubly so because nothing I've posted so far could be described as atonal or even chromatic.

I don't know, that's up to Rivera, his managers, and his bosses.
                    Last edited by Helly; January 10th, 2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... I dunno about this one. I feel like it went on for too long, weird as that sounds considering my usual complaint. All the notes were held for super long and the song was just generally slow for a long while, up until about 4:25ish. By then it almost sounds like a totally different piece from the first half, too, it's a little jarring. That said, I did like it once it picked up.
                      Originally posted by Wade
                      It isn't date rape if God commands it, and he already commanded it.

I'm saying we actually don't know for certain that 1kg is 1kg.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                        Hmmm... I dunno about this one. I feel like it went on for too long
                        ■□⊙¤●3 efse hh jk#&!□•♤□eghh f☆•¤□○■;&*$=♤♢¡¡[♢vfgn♢[
                        dd

weird as that sounds considering my usual complaint. All the notes were held for super long and the song was just generally slow for a long while, up until about 4:25ish. By then it almost sounds like a totally different piece from the first half, too, it's a little jarring. That said, I did like it once it picked up.
                        OH....THATs what you meant....lol well there is a very good reason for that change in tone. you see, that first segment, it merely sets the scene. In general terms, the scene envisioned is of black oceans under a darkening sky...you cast furtive glances at the depths, envisioning all kinds of sea monsters, great and terrible leviathans from ages where man was nonexistant, titans equipped with colossal teeth made to tear apart ancient creatures of the old age....and you and your fellow crewmates cannot wait to finish readying the ship for departure, so you may take refuge from the death that you feel must surely lurk in waters so vast. And depart you do, and all is well again in your world but only for a moment - for soon you hear the booming of cannons. And they are not your ship's.

You turn, and suddenly all the fleeting paranoias from before leave you feeling silly, and utterly demoralized for they were never any real threat, no - the real threat of death comes upon you and your crewmates now, as you see the looming shape of the Queen Anne's Revenge turning about from behind a small island to intercept the near-defensless fisherman's vessel that you had just today started to think of as your workspace.
                        Last edited by Helly; January 11th, 2018, 12:12 AM.

Comment

■□⊙¤●3 efse hh jk#&!□•♤□eghh f☆•¤□○■;&*$=♤♢¡¡[♢vfgn♢[
                          dd

OH....THATs what you meant....lol well there is a very good reason for that change in tone. you see, that first segment, it merely sets the scene. In general terms, the scene envisioned is of black oceans under a darkening sky...you cast furtive glances at the depths, envisioning all kinds of sea monsters, great and terrible leviathans from ages where man was nonexistant, titans equipped with colossal teeth made to tear apart ancient creatures of the old age....and you and your fellow crewmates cannot wait to finish readying the ship for departure, so you may take refuge from the death that you feel must surely lurk in waters so vast. And depart you do, and all is well again in your world but only for a moment - for soon you hear the booming of cannons. And they are not your ship's.

You turn, and suddenly all the fleeting paranoias from before leave you feeling silly, and utterly demoralized for they were never any real threat, no - the real threat of death comes upon you and your crewmates now, as you see the looming shape of the Queen Anne's Revenge turning about from behind a small island to intercept the near-defensless fisherman's vessel that you had just today started to think of as your workspace.
                          I figured you were building up to something, naturally. (I imagined instead that the pirates were setting up for a raid on some poor fishing village that has virtually no defenses. Just in case, in the dead of night, the crew was skulking around putting down barrels full of blasting powder to cause as much mayhem as possible. In the second half, they were spotted by whatever law enforcement they had and all hell broke loose.)

It just felt a bit out of left field, you know? I'm gonna give it another listen with your scenario in place though.

EDIT: Okay, I'm not having as much of a problem with the twist, but I think the beginning spends too long building itself still.
                          Last edited by OrganizationXV; January 11th, 2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

"Convulsion", elaborate

"Electronic based", also elaborate

"Mash both Musser and Alexander", I don't see how that's possible since all except one track in the OP were made before I ever discovered Scriabin, doubly so because nothing I've posted so far could be described as atonal or even chromatic.

I don't know, that's up to Rivera, his managers, and his bosses.
                            Convuluted, is what I wanted to write. I went back to listen to all of the classical ones, but I don't seem to hear what I did then. They all sound okay now.

What do you think about Philip Wesley?

I love this song. I read the part where you said you like to visualize your music in action and this song came directly to my mind. It literally sounds like someone is racing against a sunset.

I'll have to go back and check then. One or two songs gave me that impression.

Hmm.

Comment

Just listen to that and look at that scene. Hans Zimmer is a master of his craft.

This was pretty good, the build up was fine, not uncommon. There are some that are like 10 minutes of build up.
                              I don't know if you were inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean, but it sounded a lot like this:
                              And guess who wrote that Hans Fucking Zimmer.
                              Last edited by #83.6666666667; January 11th, 2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I figured you were building up to something, naturally. (I imagined instead that the pirates were setting up for a raid on some poor fishing village that has virtually no defenses. Just in case, in the dead of night, the crew was skulking around putting down barrels full of blasting powder to cause as much mayhem as possible. In the second half, they were spotted by whatever law enforcement they had and all hell broke loose.)

It just felt a bit out of left field, you know? I'm gonna give it another listen with your scenario in place though.

EDIT: Okay, I'm not having as much of a problem with the twist, but I think the beginning spends too long building itself still.
                                there you see! lol i chose to have the first segment be that length because its supposed to incorporate several scenes, the general outline was simply very general but a bit more detail is that the characters are also conversing with each other in the background and you hear every now and again about pirates being sighted in the area some time back. I guess I could have a few more metals thrown in though just to really give the feel of a ship rocking in ominous waters.

Convuluted, is what I wanted to write. I went back to listen to all of the classical ones, but I don't seem to hear what I did then. They all sound okay now.

What do you think about Philip Wesley?

I love this song. I read the part where you said you like to visualize your music in action and this song came directly to my mind. It literally sounds like someone is racing against a sunset.

I'll have to go back and check then. One or two songs gave me that impression.

Hmm.
                                You must not listen to classical very much if you think my material is convoluted, tbh....You should have been able to gleam it on the first listen.....

I've never heard of him. If you love his material, keep listening to him, but I found the song rather unimpressive. I couldn't really call him terrible, just boring....which is worse in my opinion lol, interesting melodic explorations can sometimes manifest themselves in complete dissonance.

Its the kind of material that musically-inclined children can produce quite easily

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNTJ6GezsY

Just listen to that and look at that scene. Hans Zimmer is a master of his craft.

This was pretty good, the build up was fine, not uncommon. There are some that are like 10 minutes of build up.
                                I don't know if you were inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean, but it sounded a lot like this:
                                And guess who wrote that Hans Fucking Zimmer.
                                Zimmer is ok....John Williams is far better....

Not by PotC, but the structures employed with pirate folk are present both in Zimmer's and in mine, which is kind of inevitable since those structures are very closely associated with pirates.
                                Last edited by Helly; January 11th, 2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I've been listening to classical music since I was a kid, more than a decade ago. I corrected myself last post, I don't find it convoluted.

I like 2 of his songs, not really a fan. The piece does have a predictable pattern but conveyance of an idea on a song is an art of itself.

That's nowhere near as impressive.

I find John Williams work kinda bland. It does appeal to many people but I rather listen to Zimmer. He has a better disposition to convey a character in a situation, I find, and John seems to focus more on Grand entrances.

What original source do you two obtain this structure from?

Comment

So there's a guy called Aurelio Voltaire with an instrumental called "Tempest" that I want to bring up for Helly's consideration. The interesting thing about it is that every instrument in the piece is supposed to be some element of a storm that takes down a ship.

I think doing something along those lines might make the first half go a little better, if only for variety's sake. JS.

Comment

I've been listening to classical music since I was a kid
                                      Sure. That's why you're posting chiclets from gateway artists like they're amazing :B

So there's a guy called Aurelio Voltaire with an instrumental called "Tempest" that I want to bring up for Helly's consideration. The interesting thing about it is that every instrument in the piece is supposed to be some element of a storm that takes down a ship.

I think doing something along those lines might make the first half go a little better, if only for variety's sake. JS.
                                      That's kind of something I'm already doing. The double basses (super-low strings that are the first instrument to play) are the expression of the depths themselves, and the cellos and violas (second and third instruments to enter) are the character's imaginations of what else might be hidden in them, which is why they introduce tritones and other mild dissonance to convey the feeling of unrest. The violins toward the end of the intro bring in an even brighter dissonance, as this is the point where the character overhears the reports of pirate sightings in the recent days, and the dread reaches its peak.

In the second half, the bass drums symbolize the distant sounds of the pirate ship's canons, and everyone is finally shaken out of their fatal trance and moves to action as the kettledrums sound off. The introduction of the snare drums and trumpets symbolize the heroic figure of the scene making his appearance.

All that being said.....I do agree, the intro can be improved upon. I feel it will truly come alive once I introduce more metals, that will really drive the point home of a ship rocking gently in water.
                                      Last edited by Helly; January 13th, 2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Why does my page auto refresh on this site?

Like I previously said before the page crashed and refreshed.

I've been listening to classical music but I don't consider myself an expert. If I actually wanted to be an authority of some degree on the matter is would learn to play instruments.

If I like a piece it's not because I think it's good or bad it just had something that appealed to me. And I can only to the best of my limited abilities piece together why I liked a certain piece or disliked it.

Comment

I don't consider myself an expert.
                                          Then stop pretending to know what you're talking about, because you are begging to be corrected when you say my basic tonal pieces sound like Scriabin's style. That is a distinction that can be made immediately, that's why I've never heard anyone say it on the classical forums I occasionally visit, not even from the newbies.

It's fine to not be an expert, many of my listeners aren't classical experts. Just don't bring your ego or your petty grudge here, you aren't going to be able to mask it around me lol.
                                          Last edited by Helly; January 13th, 2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X