Magic The Gathering: Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not gonna lie--didn't do too hot tonight

Wound up in green/blue. Which i mentioned earlier in the thread i think is probably one of the weaker archetypes in Dominaria Limited. But my card quality in general wasn't the greatest, and I felt I had the ramp + the draw + the big green fatties and blue fliers to justify it.

The main problem with this archetype is that it doesn't really have any good removal. In a format where black and red and white all have really good removal--its unique among the color cominations of Dominaria in that you're just hoping you get the draws to develop your board better than your opponent is developing their board, and don't really have the cards to disrupt their board state. And its SLOW.

So in the early game it gets run over by on-curve, plays if your opponent is hitting their 2 drops and 3 drops while you're just divining and ramping.

In the late game--you play a thorn elemental or a verdant force. It immediately gets hit by an eviscerate or a blessed light. And in the meantime you're getting beaten down by Mesa Unicorns and aven sentries.

I played against black/white decks (which i mentioned earlier i think is probably one of the strongest archetypes in Dominaria limited), and got 2-1'd in both rounds. Their card quality was objectively better than mine. They were dropping early game knight of malice/grace combos and turn 4 Josu Vess into turn 5 Serra's Angel--one of them even got off a Yawgmoth's Vile Offering against me one game.

I couldn't keep up with that.

I did manage to 2-1 a rather nasty red/white deck. It had Danitha Capashen, Valduk, Kwende, Baird, Tatiana, the Blackblade Reforged, and Urza's Ruinous Blast--good strong legendary theme and synergies there. I just got lucky and managed to curve out perfectly against it with my ramp, before it drew into its removal. I think the deck was still probably better than mine.

...do yeah...G/U...

Its a color combination I think i'll try to avoid in future games, the next time I do Dominaria limited. I feel like I saw the best of what it has o offer tonight, and I really wasn't impressed.
    --------

...i also got some really shit draws, tbh. There were at least 2 games that I felt like I could have won if I didn't mana flood, and wound up losing with like13 of my 17 lands out + half my deck left.

I mean that happens sometimes when you play ramp. Still. Thats just fucking unfortunate.
    Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; June 16th, 2018, 02:24 AM.

Comment

^^^

Cards that were not nearly as helpful as I thought they were going to be

Comment

Sounds like you had happen to You what happened to me the first time I played in FNM. The difference being that you had shot pick and I just didn't know what I was doing lol.

I thought every deck was a mana ramp deck until I got mowed down by goblins and spirits.
        Originally posted by Wade
        It isn't date rape if God commands it, and he already commanded it.

I'm saying we actually don't know for certain that 1kg is 1kg.

Comment

..did my first Cube Draft over the weekend...

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Cube_Draft

Very fun format, and the cards were good to me. Went 7-and-1 with an aggressive green/white build and just a splash of red to run outpost siege

The one game I lost was one of the craziest games of magic I ever played. I was up against a deck that had Fortune Thief, and it came out at a point in the match where I only had one removal spell left in my deck that could get rid of it.

I had a huge board and massive amounts of lifelink going on and the game got to a point where I was ahead in the life total like 320-something to 1. (by the end I was swinging for over 30 points of lifelink damage per turn)

...but I couldn't actually drop that opposing life total from 1 to 0.

...and I had fewer cards left in my library then my opponent

...and my opponent had this card out to ensure that the turn I killed fortune thief I still couldn't swing at him--I'd still need to play my last handful of creatures and swing the turn after:

...so I needed that 1 last removal spell to not be the bottom card of my library. So that I wouldn't deck myself the turn after I played it; I'd still have one turn to swing

...and the removal spell was in fact the bottom card of my library.

...And that was how I lost. With 300+ life and so many creature tokens on the board that I needed to start using dice numbers to represent them instead of cards (i.e. a card with two dice showing 6-side up and one dice showing 3-side up represented fifteen (15) creature tokens)

Decking myself, with the card that would have won me the game at literally any other point in the game being my very last draw.

-------

Other than that one horseshit game, my deck played magnificently. I was consistently doing shit like getting mana elves out on my opening plays, then dropping Sunscorch Regent on turn 4.

It helped that I was seemingly the only person at the table who had committed to green. So I had no real competition soaking up cards like

______

Faced a black/white deck that was really annoying because it had Will-o-wisp and mother of runes to sponge damage

Luckily I had:

And I faced a r/b/u deck that actually managed to hardcast the original planeswalker bolas againt me + steal my Sunscorch Regent:

This however was a case of too little too late, as I was able to tap the Regent down with fanbearer and still swing in for lethal next turn with the remainder of my board (i.e. "cards that cost 8 mana are not nearly as broken as you think they are, because they almost never come out at a point in the game where they can be relevant)

_____

There was also a hilarious reanimator deck that showcased the correct way to abuse cards that cost 8+ mana

^^^

That was a fucking combo that someone pulled off in a draft deck.

All-in-all; a great night with some quality games. Highly recommend the cube format. Its quite fun.
          Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; July 2nd, 2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• OrganizationXV
            OrganizationXV commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, fuck that last combo lol. A friend of mine bought a deck made around that archetype and it posses the hell out of me.

• OrganizationXV
            OrganizationXV commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, doesn't Artisan of Kozilek need to be casted from the hand? So he's need that 9 mana for the effect

Damn, that sounds fun.

I had a game against a monogreen 1-drop spam deck (along with a minotaur deck and my girlfriend's Amonkhet red/white deck), where I ended up willing by the skin of my teeth with a spirit deck. I spent a good four turns on the brink of death, with not-quite enough defender's each time to avoid getting hit, but with lifelink I went from '1 HP' to 'should be dead' to '2 HP' to '1 HP' again, all the while chipping him down a couple health each turn. It was intense, because he's all about the instants and if he drew one I'd have been fucked. And I had to keep drawing to put defender's on the field to keep his 12/12 monstrosity off my ass.

Something about that Spirit deck makes me feel underpowered right up until I win...

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
            Also, doesn't Artisan of Kozilek need to be casted from the hand?
            To trigger the recursion effect--yeah.

But even without that: its a 10 / 9 that makes you sac 2 permanents everytime it swings.

You make that play on curve (i.e. zombify on turn 4. Swing for 10 + sac two permanents on turn 5). In a draft deck???

That's still a damn-fine play, and probably going to win you the game unless your opponent casts a premium removal spell IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; July 6th, 2018, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

To trigger the recursion effect--yeah.

But even without that: its a 10 / 9 that makes you sac 2 permanents everytime it swings.

You make that play on curve (i.e. zombify on turn 4. Swing for 10 + sac two permanents on turn 5). In a draft deck???

That's still a damn-fine play, and probably going to win you the game unless your opponent casts a premium removal spell IMMEDIATELY.
              Good poont, lol.

Imagine grabbing It that Betrays instead... Damon.

Comment

Working...
              X