Magic The Gathering: Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic The Gathering: Discussion Thread

So who's hyped for the new Dominaria set? Wade? Post-Crisis Shob ?

Dominaria was mostly before my time tbh, but it's cool to see the new direction they're taking for nostalgia's sake.
    Last edited by OrganizationXV; April 19th, 2018, 10:46 AM.
    Originally posted by Wade
    It isn't date rape if God commands it, and he already commanded it.

I'm saying we actually don't know for certain that 1kg is 1kg.

The fanboy in me was been waiting for this set since 2003. I'm LOVING the homages to the old lore.

Weatherlight? Yes.

Serrans? YES.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT--THEY'RE BRINGING BACK THE PRIMEVALS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even care about the mechanics or the meta for this one. For the first time in years, I'm interested in the lore again.

Comment

There are so many fucking legendaries. I only know a few of them, but it's sick to see. Makes me REALLY want to go to a draft.

That fucking Darigaaz dude.

Comment

So I'm really looking forward to classic magic blue coming back, that's absolutely gonna be my main color.

DUDE

+

That'll be a super late-game move, but duuuude...

Next turn, your lands untap and you can pop this bad boy out for the kicked cost, and that gives you two turns to smack in the face.

I wonder if you can cast two legendary sorceries, or if it's the same as the legendary creature rule.
        Last edited by OrganizationXV; April 19th, 2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

^^^

From Left to Right: That's Treva (Primeval of Old Argive). Rith (Primeval of Yavimaya). Darigaaz (Primeval of Shiv). Crosis (Primeval of Urborg). And Dromar (Primeval of Vodalia).

Individually: They are mortal dragon lords

Collectively: When the Circle of Primeavals is complete and their powers combine, they are The Ur-Dragon. The Promordial Essene of all Dragonkind in the Multiverse, the One True God of Dragonkind, and one of the most eminently top-tier motherfuckers in MTG.

Ohhhhhh my godddddd.

Please, please please, please, please Wizards of the Coast--don't make them job to Nicol Bolas. Do our glorious draconic overlord justice if you're bringing him back into the story.

Comment

Ooooh... fuck, that's sick. Bolas is big, but he's not that big. The Eldrazi were bigger, and Yawgmoth was certainly bigger. I wonder if he's gonna fit into the lore this time around... but the door's definitely open.

I actually wonder what the fuck the lore is this time around. This came out of left field for me tbh.

On an unrelated note:

+
            Last edited by OrganizationXV; April 19th, 2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
              *snip*
              Been testing the set on draftsim. Its looking to be on the slower side as far as draft sets go, with not a whole lot in the way of consistent aggro builds. And more expensive, bombish spells being highly viable.

...still i'm not sold on the leviathan. Even in this kind of format, 8 mana to hardcast and 10 to kick strikes me as this is a card thats just going to sit in your hand all game, while you wish you had something you could play for 7 mana.

The 5-to-7 range feels much more viable though then--sayyyyy--amonket, or rivals of ixalan.

Every color combination looks viable, but I'm really liking the decks that have cheap legendaries and strong synergies in their colors.

black/green thailads looks really strong.

...I'm seeing some good wizard synergies and in red/blue...

This is the card that everyone is sleeping on, and that I think is giong to make blue fucking amazing in draft:

Scry is a very strong mechanic. The ease with which you can get that to trigger in a deck loaded with cheap artifacts and the boost in value that gives to cheap low-priority artifacts that circle around the draft table is insane.

Turn 1: Artificer's Assistant

Turn 2: Short Sword + Sparring Construct. Scry 2.

...that's the deck I want to be playing in this format...
              Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; April 19th, 2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

And speaking of Yawgmoth...

Think he's coming back at all?

Comment

And speaking of Yawgmoth...

Think he's coming back at all?
                  Yeah that one and [Phyrexian Scriptures] immediately caught my eye. Not cards you're going to consistently be able to put in a draft deck, but cards that immediately put you into trying to draft black if you pick them up early. The bombiest bomb rares in bomb town.

like...what do you even do if this resolves against your board???

The fact that its #RespectYawgmoth is just icing on the cake.
                  Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; April 19th, 2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• OrganizationXV
                    OrganizationXV commented
                    Editing a comment
                    WotC are teasing us something fierce with this set, lol. I really want to know what the second block is gonna look like.

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

Been testing the set on draftsim. Its looking to be on the slower side as far as draft sets go, with not a whole lot in the way of consistent aggro builds. And more expensive, bombish spells being highly viable.

...still i'm not sold on the leviathan. Even in this kind of format, 8 mana to hardcast and 10 to kick strikes me as this is a card thats just going to sit in your hand all game, while you wish you had something you could play for 7 mana.

The 5-to-7 range feels much more vialle though then--sayyyyy--amonket, or rivals of ixalan.

Every color combination looks viable, but I'm really liking the decks that have cheap legendaries and strong synergies in their colors.

black/green thailads looks really strong.

...that's the deck I want to be playing in this format...
                  You're probably right, but I always gravitate towards the bigger spells. I started playing in the first Zendikar block, where every deck was part green for the mana-ramping, so that probably ruined me for fast decks lol.

Comment

I really want to see this card played out right, but it's a dangerous game. I guess that's the point though.

EDIT: Yawgmoth's Scriptures basically ruins this enchantment lol.
                    Last edited by OrganizationXV; April 19th, 2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

So I'm really looking forward to classic magic blue coming back, that's absolutely gonna be my main color.

DUDE

+

That'll be a super late-game move, but duuuude...

Next turn, your lands untap and you can pop this bad boy out for the kicked cost, and that gives you two turns to smack in the face.

I wonder if you can cast two legendary sorceries, or if it's the same as the legendary creature rule.
                      That last card is very, very good. It's like a one-sided Upheaval. It could get restricted even in Type 1, which may well be their intention to give you a second Upheaval in Type 1.

yeah, there's "Show and Tell" in Type 1, which gives you an 8 drop on turn 4, One-sided Upheaval and an 8/8 on turn 4 in Type 1. With a black Lotus you can do it on turn 1. Well, I don't think that works. You probably can't pay the Kicker Cost if you use Show and Tell to play it. Darn. Scratch that Idea, I think...

You need a 28 land deck to play this in Standard, but it looks like game over when it hits.
                      Last edited by Wade; April 19th, 2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah that one and [Phyrexian Scriptures] immediately caught my eye. Not cards you're going to consistently be able to put in a draft deck, but cards that immediately put you into trying to draft black if you pick them up early. The bombiest bomb rares in bomb town.

like...what do you even do if this resolves against your board???

The fact that its #RespectYawgmoth is just icing on the cake.
                        Yawgmoth's Vile Offering is screwed up. Type 1 you have Black Lotus and 4 Dark Rituals in your deck.... Wild Mongrel in a B/G deck, throw a fatty (one of these Legends) in the Graveyard to pump Mongrel, then play Vile Offering. That's doable on turn 1.

Comment

• OrganizationXV
                          OrganizationXV commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They're not exactly planning around people having a Black Lotus, y'know. They do formats with the last couple sets for that exact reason, to cycle out the more broken cards.

Originally posted by Wade View Post

That last card is very, very good. It's like a one-sided Upheaval. It could get restricted even in Type 1, which may well be their intention to give you a second Upheaval in Type 1.

yeah, there's "Show and Tell" in Type 1, which gives you an 8 drop on turn 4, One-sided Upheaval and an 8/8 on turn 4 in Type 1. With a black Lotus you can do it on turn 1. Well, I don't think that works. You probably can't pay the Kicker Cost if you use Show and Tell to play it. Darn. Scratch that Idea, I think...

You need a 28 land deck to play this in Standard, but it looks like game over when it hits.
                        The problem is gonna be staying alive until it comes out, I guess. We don't have too much in the way of stalling this set, no Wall of Ice or Safe Passage that I saw.

Not in Standard, anyway.
                        Last edited by OrganizationXV; April 19th, 2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                          WotC are teasing us something fierce with this set, lol.
                          The biggest development in the lore I can gather from just the flavor of the cards is that The Weatherlight has been restored to operational status. Its fully crewed and flying again, with Jhoira (one of Urza's original students at the Tolarian Academy) as its new captain. And Jhoira is still talking to Karn and Teferi.

Its hard to appreciate how monumental this is and how much old lore they're injecting into the modern setting, to new players who weren't around back in the classic days of Urza's Saga. But damn. That's huge.

Weatherlight was designed for interplanar travel. If its flying again, the Dominarians should now have broader access to the entire MTG multiverse and can start popping up in storylines on other planes.

And considering that the original Weatherlight crew + its Legacy Weapon armaments was what killed fucking YAWGMOTH... (granted; I don't expect The Weatherlight in its modern incarnation to be anywhere near as powerful as the version of the ship that fought Yawgmoth. That would break the current setting if it was).

...There's real potential for these guys to became mainstays and power-players in the new lore.

Which is something I would love to see. Weatherlight Saga was the shit.
                          Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; April 19th, 2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The biggest development in the lore I can gather from just the flavor of the cards is that The Weatherlight has been restored to operational status. Its fully crewed and flying again, with Jhoira as its new captain. And Jhoira is still talking to Karn and Teferi.

Its hard to appreciate how monumental this is and how much old lore they're injecting into the modern setting, to new players who weren't around back in the classic days of Urza's Saga. But damn. That's huge.

Weatherlight was designed for interplanar travel. If its flying again, the Dominarians should now have broader access to the entire MTG multiverse and can start popping up in storylines on other planes.

And considering that the original Weatherlight crew + its Legacy Weapon armaments was what killed fucking YAWGMOTH... (granted; I don't expect The Weatherlight in its modern incarnation to be anywhere near as powerful as the version of the ship that fought Yawgmoth. That would break the current setting if it was).

...There's real potential for these guys to became mainstays and power-players in the new lore.

Which is something I would love to see. Weatherlight Saga was the shit.
                            The most interesting thing about that to me was the timeline. Karn made sense, he's an immortal golem, but what're Teferi and Jhoira doing this many hundreds or thousands of years past the Mending? Shouldn't they be long-dead by now?

Then again, the Weatherlight was constructed with fucked-up pockets of time, so that's not too terribly surprising.

Comment

Title looks lazy. "Magic The Gathering: Discussion Thread". Looks better.

That aside, All the Cards in Signature Spellbook Jace look amazing btw.

Comment

Redx- Yo, those look sick as fuck. When did those come out?

Comment

• OrganizationXV
                                  OrganizationXV commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Cid can you change the name of the thread to what Redx said? I can't seem to do it rn.

The most interesting thing about that to me was the timeline. Karn made sense, he's an immortal golem, but what're Teferi and Jhoira doing this many hundreds or thousands of years past the Mending? Shouldn't they be long-dead by now?

Then again, the Weatherlight was constructed with fucked-up pockets of time, so that's not too terribly surprising.
                                Teferi is a temporal adept. Even if hes not an immortal planeswalker anymore, he can create stasis fields and slow time down to a crawl and make himself live for how ever god-damn long the writers want him to be around. (cool that they actually gave him grey hair in his new lore to signify that hes aging. that was a nice touch)

Jhoira is basically in the same boat as Teferi. Except that shes an artificer rather than a spellcaster, and what Teferi does with sorcery she does with machines.

If you remember all the way back to early Urza's Saga--Jhoira was the one who figured out how to move through the pockets of fucked up time around Tolaria after Urza's Time Machine exploded, and built a machine capable of performing the feat. When even Urza himself was stumped.

I'd imagine that tech has only gotten better over the millennia.

I'm amazed how young she looks. Teferi at least looks like an old man now--Jhoira looks like a proper MILF. (she was already several hundred years old back during the events of the Mending, and looked like a teenager)

^^^^
                                Jhoira, as she appeared in her official artwork during The Mending

^^^
                                Current Jhoira

...I see two (2) very big changes...

Comment

Redx- Yo, those look sick as fuck. When did those come out?
                                  The Signature Spellbook series was announced a while back but it doesn't come out till June apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                  X