The Best RPG Mechanics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best RPG Mechanics

I always wanted to make my own RPG, but I never seem to have the time to learn to be good enough at computer programming. Imagine combining the best RPG mechanics from Square and Enix glory days with a few AD&D mechanics too.

Damage combined with debuffs are some of the most interesting game mechanics. Obviously for monster design, but also for player design.

Sample:

Spells:

Name: Smother
    MP: 2
    Type: Wizard Magic
    Effect: Deals 21-30 damage as fire to a single target, and applies a 1 round sleep effect 50% of the time. Enemies immune to sleep receive no damage. Enemies immune to fire are not put to sleep.

Name: Ice Bolt
    MP: 3
    Type: Priest Magic
    Effect: Deals 21 -26 damage as cold to a single target, and applies a 15% cold slow effect 100% of the time. Self stacks on some enemies to 33%.

Name: Thunder Clap
    MP: 3
    Type: Wizard Magic
    Effect: Deals 25-35 damage as Lightning to a single target. Silences the enemy for 1 round.

Higher level spells hit multiple enemies. The game would deal enemies in terms of "parties" sort of like Dragon Warrior has a "party" of enemies and "All" enemies effects.

Character Classes:

Hero:
    Is the second best at everything.

Warrior:
    Best attacker and best at physical defense. Weakest at Magic defense.

Wizard:
    Best at offensive magic. Knows some weak healing spells too. Strongest magic defense (tie with Priest)

Priest:
    Best at defensive and healing magic. Strongest magic defense.

Magic weapons:
    Like AD&D, some monsters are immune to weapons below a given level of enchantment. Unlike AD&D, A player will never be penalized for having too high of an enchantment level.

For example, a Copper Sword +2 can damage most types of enemies, but isn't likely to be useful near the end of the game. In this case, it adds +2 to both the hit chance and the damage, in addition to overcoming "immunity to +1 or less".

Rare magical weapons add additional effects, such as +1/2 attack, poison damage, vampiric life drain damage, etc.

Enemies will actually follow an AD&D caliber AI, so they attempt to calculate the best action instead of randomly attacking.
    Last edited by Wade; February 3rd, 2018, 01:52 PM.

Originally posted by Wade View Post
    I always wanted to make my own RPG, but I never seem to have the time to learn to be good enough at computer programming.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "good enough at computer programming" but I am in the process of making game with my friend.
    lets say its MMORPG but currently its practically text game
    it's also based on naruto but we (or at least I) hope to get some money from it so going naruto way only isn't going to make it
    thats why i look for people who have nice Ideas and would want to cooperate in order to see those ideas turned into actual game
    if you are interested PM me and we can talk about details
    My laughter when I see stupid posts:

Comment

You don't have to be very good at programming to make an rpg. There's actually an app on steam called rpg maker that makes doing it very simple

If you wanna make a bigger project, at least rpg maker would be practice. Game maker is also available and more program-heavy but still mostly easy to use.
      Last edited by Mae Borowski; February 3rd, 2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post
        You don't have to be very good at programming to make an rpg. There's actually an app on steam called rpg maker that makes doing it very simple

If you wanna make a bigger project, at least rpg maker would be practice. Game maker is also available and more program-heavy but still mostly easy to use.
        I've tinkered with RPG maker in the past before. It's pretty powerful, but can't do everything I'd like to do.

Comment

Gestures easily.
          Originally posted by Kajin_Style
          Quiet cathartic really.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

I've tinkered with RPG maker in the past before. It's pretty powerful, but can't do everything I'd like to do.
            That's how I feel. I'd like to use something better in the future but it's good practice

Comment

Summoner:
              Works like AD&D summons. Weak henchman that you can summon ahead of time and keep a small army up. Uses Bow and Arrow or staffs for weapon type.

Shield Types:

Focus:
              +2 armor.
              Adds a small magical ability according to type.
              5% deflection bonus to off hand.
              Usable to Wizard, Priest, and Summoner.

Small:
              +4 armor
              10% deflection to off hand, 5% deflection to torso.

Medium:
              +6 armor
              10% deflection to off hand and torso.

Large:
              +8 Armor
              15% deflection to off hand, 10% deflection to torso.
              Usable only to Warrior
              Last edited by Wade; February 4th, 2018, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Attributes:
                There will be 4 attributes so no redundant mental attributes.
                Strength: Controls lifting feats and combat damage.
                Agility: Chance to dodge, etc, modifies defense.
                Vitality: HP modifiers and save modifiers.
                Intelligence: useful to spell casters, Bards, and Rogues.

Weapons:

Great Sword:
                Type: Two handed. (unlike D&D, two handed weapons do damage based on a full doubling of strength modifier.)**
                Damage: +2d6+2. Damages as +2 above enchantment level, so a +4 Great Sword hits as +4 and damages as +6, while a +1 Great Sword hits as +1 and damages as +3.
                Special: +2 Armor bonus, +5% deflection main hand, off hand, and torso.
                Class: Warrior and Hero/Paladin

Katana:
                Type: One Hand
                Damage: 1d10.
                Special: +10% deflection main hand.
                Class: Warrior and Hero/Paladin

Long Sword:
                Damage 1d8
                Special: +10% deflection
                Class: All except Wizard, Summoner, and Priest

Short Sword
                Damage 2d3
                Class: Any.

Dagger
                Damage 1d4

Pixie Knife
                Damage: 1d3 (Hits as +2 and damages normally. So a +4 Pixie Knife would hit as +6 and damage as +4, while a +0 Pixie Knife hits as +2 and damages as +0.)
                Special: +5% deflection, automatic Ambidextrous 1 feat applied while equipping.

Quarterstaff
                Type: Two Hand
                Damage: 1d8.
                Special: +5 deflection main hand, off hand, torso.*

*There are "Hit locations" which are: Head, main hand, off hand, torso, left leg, right leg.
                **This is done this way because 2 handed weapons are actually not good enough to be useful to serious characters in AD&D....so I made Great Sword much better.

Comment

Most middle and high level Spells use ingredients and MP. In order for a Summoner to cast a Fireball, they need the correct ingredients, they need enough MP, and they obviously need to know the spell. Spell damage works like weapon damage except it uses twice the Intelligence modifier instead of the Strength modifier.

So better spell example for the Summoner would be:

Flame Arrow
                  Spell Level: 3
                  Learned: Character level 5.
                  MP: 5.
                  Ingredients: 1 ounce Charcoal Dust.
                  Damage: 1d6 physical + 4d6 Fire + 2*Int Modifier (as fire) + Character Level (as fire). Per Arrow. Save vs Spell for half.
                  Special: +1 Arrow every 5th character level.

Comment

I suggest that you play more RPGs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
                      Gestures easily.
                      Gotta have mah prance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukulele View Post
                        I suggest that you play more RPGs.
                        I play all types of RPGs. I am expert level at every RPG I've ever played.

Comment

Interesting. In the original Final Fantasy, elemental spells are intentionally unbalanced. Lightning > Ice > Fire.

Comment

Idk, I've always liked status ailments and really enjoy the "stacking" of thm in Dragon Quest games, ie you can be poison or heavily poisoned, or just aslep where most any damage takn will wake you up, or in a deep sleep where only heavy damage or certain attacks will break the ststus.

Status ailments are cool

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                              Idk, I've always liked status ailments and really enjoy the "stacking" of thm in Dragon Quest games, ie you can be poison or heavily poisoned, or just aslep where most any damage takn will wake you up, or in a deep sleep where only heavy damage or certain attacks will break the ststus.

Status ailments are cool
                              Yeah, they add depth to the game on both offense and defense. Gives you something to do besides attack every turn.

Comment

I've been testing FF and DQ games to understand the best balance for the number of hits it takes to kill enemies. Too few and the game feels too easy (Mystic Quest) too many, and the game feels like it's taking too long. Most of the enemies in Mystic Quest should have had enough HP to require 1 more hit, as they are too easy. In fact, some enemies are "weak" to a weapon and don't even have enough HP to make a difference.

I'd like to develop a rule system that is simple enough to use in a Pen and Paper RPG, but also deep and rich enough to be converted to a great video game. Then I'd work on converting it to video game.

Comment

I thought about this a lot, and enemies should have two basic attacks.

Attack 1:
                                  Physical 2/3rds of the time for non-mages, 1/4th of the time for mages.

Attack 2:
                                  For mages this is a spell, such as "Fire".
                                  For fighter monsters this is a weaker attack which applies a status penalty, such as sleep, blindness, mute, etc.

Player character abilities should not be combined. The player should be forced to choose what type of effect or damage they deal, but not both.

Comment

I worked out some of the basics.

I changed my mind to a 5 attribute system because 5 is slightly better than 4, but not as complicated as 6.

Fighter and Thief starts with an extra free attack.

Hero starts with an extra free defense dice.

Attacks are 1 attack at level 1 and +1 attack at level 16 and every 16 levels after. Also +1 attack every 16 of ((agility + Strength)/2).

Each attack does damage by the formula:
                                    Damage = ((Weapon amount + Str) * AttackCount) - ((TargetArmor + Vit) * DefCount)

If 1> Damage, then damage becomes 1.

DefCount is the number of defense dice the character has.

Defense Dice goes up every 16 levels and every 16 of ((Vitality + Agility + Speed)/3).

Spells work like weapons, but each spell is a unique script

Fire does
                                    SpellDamage = ((21 + (Int* 1d4)) * MAttackCount) - ((TargetMArmor + Vit) * MDefCount)

MAttackCount is like AttackCount, it goes up as 16 of ((int + Speed)/2).
                                    MDefCount is like DefCount. it goes up as 16 of ((Vit + Agility + Int)/3)

You'll notice that spell damage grows as a linear multiple of 1d4 rather than just 1, this is because you pay something, MP (and maybe ingredients) to use a spell, while an attack is just a vanilla action.

This should give you a taste of what I might be able to do, if I can learn enough programming. I know all the basics of coding this, I just need to figure out some of the more advanced things.

Hit vs Evade.

Each attack dice rolls to see whether it hit or not. If it hit then it rolls damage vs the next defense dice in the enemy queue. If the enemy has no defense dice remaining, then the full amount of damage is done.

CheckHit = return (True = if((AttackerHit% + RandomNumber(1-127)) > (DefenderEvade% + RandomNumber2(1-127))

Thief has the highest Hit and Evade (Reliability) and Fighter and Hero are tied for second highest.

Hit:

Hit% = Base% + (Agility/2)

Evade% = Base% + (Speed/2)

MHit% = Base% + (Int/2)

MEvade% = Base% + ((Int +Speed)/4)

Base Hit/Evade/MHit/MEvade:
                                    Fighter: 25/25/15/20
                                    Hero: 25/25/15/20
                                    Thief: 30/30/20/25
                                    Wizard: 20/20/30/30
                                    Cleric: 20/20/30/30
                                    Last edited by Wade; February 13th, 2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I've also returned to the "Spell Memorization" system. after playing more of FF1 and AD&D, I find it works better than an MP system.

Remove the Summoner idea because it's too redundant.

Wizard learns Fire, Lightning, and debuffing.
                                      Cleric learns Cold, Holy, and Defense (Think Chrono Trigger Marle crossed with FF4 Rosa).

Spell Level Progression:

Fire is the weakest element. Damage per levle progression is as follows:

Name:Fire1:
                                      Spell Level: 1
                                      Element: Fire
                                      SpellDamage = ((21 + (Int* Roll(1d4))) * MAttackCount) - ((TargetMArmor + Vit) * MDefCount) to a single target.

Fire2:
                                      Spell Level: 3
                                      SpellDamage = ((42 + (1.5*Int* Roll(1d4))) * MAttackCount) - ((TargetMArmor + Vit) * MDefCount) to all enemies in sight at radius 10 meters.

Fire3:
                                      Spell Level: 5
                                      SpellDamage = ((100 + (2*Int* Roll(1d4))) * MAttackCount) - ((TargetMArmor + Vit) * MDefCount) to all enemies in sight radius 10 meters.

Pierce:
                                      Spell Level: 8
                                      Element: None
                                      SpellDamage = ((200 + (3*Int* Roll(1d6))) * MAttackCount) - ((TargetMArmor + Vit) * MDefCount) deals highest damage to a single enemy.

And so on.

Comment

Wizard Spells:

Level 1:
                                        Fire1
                                        Silence
                                        Poison

Level 2:
                                        LIghtning1
                                        Valor (Strength plus 50%, lasts for entire battle, no stacking, single target)
                                        Sleep (Single Target, 2 rounds)
                                        Drain Life (deals damage equal to your missing life and you gain that much)

Level 3
                                        Fire2
                                        Poison2
                                        Haste (speed plus 50%, lasts for entire battle, no stacking, single target))
                                        Slow (all enemies speed and int minus 15 each, stacks to -33 each)**

Level 4
                                        Lightning2
                                        Fast (Agility plus 50%, lasts for entire battle, no stacking, single target)
                                        Sleep2 (all targets, 1 rounds)
                                        Hold (Single Target, 2 rounds)

Level 5:
                                        Fire3
                                        Poison3
                                        Slow2 (All enemies speed and int minus 33 each, stacks to -50)**
                                        Haste2 (all allies)

Level 6:
                                        Lightning3
                                        Stop (Single target 1 rounds, uses a different flag than Hold or Sleep)
                                        Hold 2 (All targets, 1 round)
                                        Fast2 (All alies)

Level 7:
                                        Pierce
                                        Stop2 (Single Target 2 rounds, uses same flag as Stop)
                                        Petrify (if it hits it kills non-petrify immune, uses stone flag)

Level 8:
                                        Quake
                                        Weakness (Victim loses 32 str and 32 int)
                                        Death (if it hits it kills non-death immune. uses death flag)
                                        Stop3(all enemies 1 round each)
                                        Last edited by Wade; February 13th, 2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X