No announcement yet.

DC Comics General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished reading Snagglepuss issue 3, JLA 26, and Mister Miracle 7. Good stuff.
    I want to finish Black Lightning, but the last issue of that comes out today, so I'll probably just wait until I get a copy of that and read the last 2 issues together.
    Please Like, Share, & Subscribe to Culpa's Youtube Channel!
    Culpa's Twitch Channel!
    PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 23. Platinums: 64 Currently Playing: Steep, Overwatch, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post

Never said that. It's just that I think Chiraq needs to go as well for its shit populace even though I like the pizza. Philly boasting the actual WOATs of the WOATs, lol. Rocky and steak aren't nearly enough to absolve them.

The editors forced the writers to write in Dick because of how antisocial Bruce is, he ha. Thought it'd be "too dark" for the reader to be left alone w/ his thoughts w/o someone breaking up the tension. And I get why they did it (also helped boosted readership among young'uns since they had someone to relate to). But I would still like an unfettered glimpse into the psyche of a force of nature like Bruce w/o anyone to humanize him. Would even the strongest man in all the worlds eventually break in such a situation (assuming he is not already broken)? That is the $1,000,000 question.

Lois can fuck off, tbh. I didn't particularly care for the obviously forced Clark x Diana bullshit DC recently tried pushing, but Clark x Lois (no matter how iconic it may be) makes me want to vomit. I would argue that the Joker offing her is actually doing Clark a favor. But you know how you can't tell friends, even close friends, how their main squeeze is cancerous. Similar deal here lol. Joker's so terrifying not because of his unparalleled intellect but because of his sheer insanity. Even Bruce and Harley, who know him better than anyone, have yet to determine the true depths of this man's madness. And to make matters worse, his lunacy is contagious. It's ironic in the case of Lex because Lex always gets pissy once Superman foils his plan because he has no hope of physically besting him even w/ tech or Kryptonite. Also, BALD. They have a funny dynamic like most heroes and their nemeses.

Lol, robbing him blind after infiltrating his inner sanctum like big bro would've was a nice touch.
      I know I was joking. I say all the time I wish my hometown baltimore get hit with martial law. Niggas get mad but it is the truth. I have dudes I grew up with getting funerals, jail time, and brain damage from getting jumped. As a kid that shit looks normal from a resident perspective. But when you break away and get a more normal society perspective you realized it's like being a caged animal. However don't take me knowing that and not realizing "society" help put those conditions into place in the first place.

Nah it would get boring as a regular narrative. If it is constant with no change even the greatest of characters become stale. You need the change up to see how that character in different adventures and situations. But every once in a while bring that character back to it's core demeanor and remind that audience of who that character is. Those usually turn out to be legendary arcs like Hush. Hush is a perfect example of that.

Meh small doses. Lois is a literary device. Superman is no detective and a mediocre reporter lol . Lois is the one who figures out his shit out for him. If not he would have been ambushed by Luthor. Not only that you can clearly see dc is eventually going to shelf clark and probably use his offspring.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post
        I know I was joking. I say all the time I wish my hometown baltimore get hit with martial law. Niggas get mad but it is the truth. I have dudes I grew up with getting funerals, jail time, and brain damage from getting jumped. As a kid that shit looks normal from a resident perspective. But when you break away and get a more normal society perspective you realized it's like being a caged animal. However don't take me knowing that and not realizing "society" help put those conditions into place in the first place.

Nah it would get boring as a regular narrative. If it is constant with no change even the greatest of characters become stale. You need the change up to see how that character in different adventures and situations. But every once in a while bring that character back to it's core demeanor and remind that audience of who that character is. Those usually turn out to be legendary arcs like Hush. Hush is a perfect example of that.

Meh small doses. Lois is a literary device. Superman is no detective and a mediocre reporter lol . Lois is the one who figures out his shit out for him. If not he would have been ambushed by Luthor. Not only that you can clearly see dc is eventually going to shelf clark and probably use his offspring.
        Stay #Woke, nigga. On the real though, it really is dreadful what happens in the projects in particular. Bad/no schooling because gentrification shh = a "future" of selling rock or turning tricks on the corner. That right there is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hard to really blame dumb kids who really don't know any better. And the current state of hip-hop cosigning that kind of misbehavior don't help things any either...

Might give Hush a re-read. It's been so long, man. I only remember the general plot. Forgot all the nuances. But it's apparently ranked as a Top 10 Batman book. Might even make it onto my personal list.

Clark has super-intelligence. Lois isn't a genius. Her "figuring out his shit for him" is obviously just a way to make her character seem more relevant than it really is. Clark was doing just fine solving problems back before he knew what a "Lois" even was. He may not be as smart as Lex or Bruce or Braniac, but who is? On the plus side, actually being able to apply his super-intelligence normally would make him more of a Gary Stu and de-humanize him (even) further, so I understand why the writers did what they did even though I don't particularly like the decision. It's like, remove it from his power-set already if he's never actually gonna use that "superintelligence" of his, rofl.
        Last edited by Oneiros; April 6th, 2018, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Stay #Woke, nigga. On the real though, it really is dreadful what happens in the projects in particular. Bad/no schooling because gentrification shh = a "future" of selling rock or turning tricks on the corner. That right there is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hard to really blame dumb kids who really don't know any better. And the current state of hip-hop cosigning that kind of misbehavior don't help things any either...

Might give Hush a re-read. It's been so long, man. I only remember the general plot. Forgot all the nuances. But it's apparently ranked as a Top 10 Batman book. Might even make it onto my personal list.

Clark has super-intelligence. Lois isn't a genius. Her "figuring out his shit for him" is obviously just a way to make her character seem more relevant than it really is. Clark was doing just fine solving problems back before he knew what a "Lois" even was. He may not be as smart as Lex or Bruce or Braniac, but who is? On the plus side, actually being able to apply his super-intelligence normally would make him more of a Gary Stu and de-humanize him (even) further, so I understand why the writers did what they did even though I don't particularly like the decision. It's like, remove it from his power-set already if he's never actually gonna use that "superintelligence" of his, rofl.
          Originally hip hop was tool used to inform the uniformed. Even the barz about selling rock were laced with facts. It brought forth awareness. Now the mainstream is mainly dopefiends. But there is plenty of dope dudes still spitting you have to look for them. Royce da 5'9 is old but still spitting like he hungry.

It forces Batman to save Bruce Wayne. Something he always wanted to discard. On another note you read new Deadshot. Damien might not be Bruce kid but instead deadshots lol.

Like I said she is a literary device to keep the plot moving. She is needed in her own way. No Lois is like no Gordon for Batman. Also superman almost never displays his super intelligence. But on that note neither really does the flash Barry Allen. Both of them fall back on their physical powers. But it does take a lot of skill for them to control their bodies.

Comment

Metal's finale was pretty legit. Loved the Batman/Joker fight.
            Anyone else been reading Snagglepuss? First half has been pretty great.
            Culpa's Twitch Channel!
            PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 23. Platinums: 64 Currently Playing: Steep, Overwatch, etc.

Comment

Originally hip hop was tool used to inform the uniformed. Even the barz about selling rock were laced with facts. It brought forth awareness. Now the mainstream is mainly dopefiends. But there is plenty of dope dudes still spitting you have to look for them. Royce da 5'9 is old but still spitting like he hungry.

It forces Batman to save Bruce Wayne. Something he always wanted to discard. On another note you read new Deadshot. Damien might not be Bruce kid but instead deadshots lol.

Like I said she is a literary device to keep the plot moving. She is needed in her own way. No Lois is like no Gordon for Batman. Also superman almost never displays his super intelligence. But on that note neither really does the flash Barry Allen. Both of them fall back on their physical powers. But it does take a lot of skill for them to control their bodies.
              True. Poor Snoop is preemptively turning over in his grave as we speak. The sound itself is basically a watered down Lil John too, is the sad part.

... I have not. But that actually makes me not want to read it at all. Hope it's just a red herring meant to throw readers for a beat. Knowing Bruce, he ran a full background check (paternity test included) on Damian since learning of his existence. He doesn't do blind sentiment. Never mind that Damian's intelligence and fighting skills scream "Wayne." Lawton's no joke, but he's no Wayne. Not by a long shot.

Also, Bruce is kind of unique in that Bruce Wayne is the mask he wears. Not as Batman like one might expect.

I always find myself wondering how Barry doesn't self-immolate after moving at extremely high speeds, high metabolism or no. His body shouldn't be able to handle moving that fast. Period. Invulnerability is Supes' power, not his. Or he simply phases through the trauma lol. Chalk it up to "suspension of disbelief" and the skill and control over his body you were talking about.
              Last edited by Oneiros; April 7th, 2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Just read Doomsday Clock issue 4. Great issue. Loved the stuff about the aftermath of Watchmen. And looks like we may have found our missing Doctor.
                Could he be hiding out as another Blue Skinned inhabitant of Arkham? What has Fries been up to since N52 started?
                Culpa's Twitch Channel!

Comment

Doctor.

yo bru-bru does that first minute make ur johnny tingle
                  Last edited by Saffron; April 8th, 2018, 02:08 AM.
                  Originally posted by A New Soul;n492699
                  There is literally nothing wrong with being a pedophile

Comment

True. Poor Snoop is preemptively turning over in his grave as we speak. The sound itself is basically a watered down Lil John too, is the sad part.

... I have not. But that actually makes me not want to read it at all. Hope it's just a red herring meant to throw readers for a beat. Knowing Bruce, he ran a full background check (paternity test included) on Damian since learning of his existence. He doesn't do blind sentiment. Never mind that Damian's intelligence and fighting skills scream "Wayne." Lawton's no joke, but he's no Wayne. Not by a long shot.

Also, Bruce is kind of unique in that Bruce Wayne is the mask he wears. Not as Batman like one might expect.

I always find myself wondering how Barry doesn't self-immolate after moving at extremely high speeds, high metabolism or no. His body shouldn't be able to handle moving that fast. Period. Invulnerability is Supes' power, not his. Or he simply phases through the trauma lol. Chalk it up to "suspension of disbelief" and the skill and control over his body you were talking about.
                    I mean people that spit real shit exists. They are just overshadowed by bullshit rappers.

Of course he did. But you know they want to do Deathstroke vs Batman. Bruce seems to think their is a good possibilty Slade might be the father. But slade like nigga on Maury saying it's not me lol. Now that I write about it. This arc does seem like a superhhero version of maury.

Superman is the same way. Kent is his mask and superman is him. Batman and Superman have a lot of interlinking traits. Personalities are just so different.

Speedforce is what also protects speedsters bodies. Chinese cartoons are not the only characters that utilize supernatural energy to enhance their bodies lol. Shallow explanation yes but one none the less. The speedforce anyways was designed to deflect questions like those in the first place lol.

Comment

I mean people that spit real shit exists. They are just overshadowed by bullshit rappers.

Of course he did. But you know they want to do Deathstroke vs Batman. Bruce seems to think their is a good possibilty Slade might be the father. But slade like nigga on Maury saying it's not me lol. Now that I write about it. This arc does seem like a superhhero version of maury.

Superman is the same way. Kent is his mask and superman is him. Batman and Superman have a lot of interlinking traits. Personalities are just so different.

Speedforce is what also protects speedsters bodies. Chinese cartoons are not the only characters that utilize supernatural energy to enhance their bodies lol. Shallow explanation yes but one none the less. The speedforce anyways was designed to deflect questions like those in the first place lol.

Ice-T said Soulja Boy single-handedly killed hip-hop. I am inclined to agree. This is the era of countless one-hit wonders who sound good for a minute (-> literally <-) and fade out into obscurity, never to to be heard from again.With some like Keef being an exception to the rule because they managed to unearth a sizable following among the LCD.

LOL. Sad for Slade, getting his ass beat for no reason even though he's likely innocent in this case. Besides, he is more of a Nightwing rogue anyway but I guess it's a nice change of pace and provides a nifty parallel between the Knight and his "firstborn" son.

Probs why one of their collabs was called "Night & Day." lol

It's just that comics usually cover the scientific aspect a lot better than anime does, but I guess that's a fair point as far as the Speed Force is concerned.
                      Last edited by Oneiros; April 11th, 2018, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Caught up with Red Hood. Finally realized why the bizarro arc is familiar. The writer has clearly been inspired by the short story Flowers for Algernon. Red Hood is so underrated at this point. Particularly it's writer.

Comment

Green Arrow is still good, but you can really tell that they don't know what direction they're going with the character from that last arc. They need a solid writer to take the character on for a long arc again.

About to finish up Birds of Prey, JLA, and Black Lightning.
                          Just one more issue left of Snagglepuss, too.

I want to pick up No Justice, but I'm not seeing any tie ins with my characters that would make me want to buy it...
                          Culpa's Twitch Channel!

Comment

just read first issue of new plastic man, was pretty entertaining. might do some DC diving this week

Comment

Ollie was badass in no justice and now has a box that manhunter said could take down the league. Ollie is earths final defense and it’s awesome lol
                              Culpa's Twitch Channel!

Comment

Redx Just caught up with Red Hood. Jason is officially my favorite Batman character now. His arc is better than everyone's at this point. Discounting his whiny Red Hood debut vs Batman.

Comment

Redx Just caught up with Red Hood. Jason is officially my favorite Batman character now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Gold View Post
                                    just read first issue of new plastic man, was pretty entertaining. might do some DC diving this week
                                    I need to do the same. Haven't been reading much comics lately. Need to catch up at some point.

Comment

Dead forgot what I was reading, had to come back to check real quick lol
                                      Whats good out there?
                                      I read The Terrifics, good issue but I hate how the art changes after a few issues, like with Damage
                                      I read that Super Sons annual with the legion of super pets and that was pretty amusing I must say
                                      Last edited by Nerise; August 8th, 2018, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redx View Post

I need to do the same. Haven't been reading much comics lately. Need to catch up at some point.
                                        You caught up to outlaws yet?
                                        Originally posted by Nerise View Post
                                        Dead forgot what I was reading, had to come back to check real quick lol
                                        Whats good out there?
                                        I read The Terrifics, good issue but I hate how the art changes after a few issues, like with Damage
                                        I read that Super Sons annual with the legion of super pets and that was pretty amusing I must say
                                        I have legit only been reading a handful of things. Mainly Redhood and the outlaws. Everything else becomes a chore because a lot of titles are connected to other titles. You just can't read one title to catch up to current events. A series like the outlaws is one of the few kinda self-contained books.

Comment

• Nerise
                                          Nerise commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Yeah they even tell you in certain issues when characters show up, to read other issues

• 40 acres
                                          40 acres commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          That shit becomes exhausting keeping up

Just stick with minis and smaller characters.
                                        JLA was pretty good with very few crossovers (just Milk Wars, which was completely skipable and same with the end arc of the main JL. not at all required or important to either series, and neither event touches the main title)
                                        Green Arrow crossed over for Metal, so skip issue 32 and you are perfectly fine with those 40+ books. Green Lanters was good and while the characters show up in Hal Jordan and the GLC & JL, you don't need to read either series.
                                        Minis are a safe bet usually.
                                        The Wild Storm is great. Mister Miracle... There is plenty of good stuff that doesn't require other reading.

Cave Carson has been my favorite lately, though. Don't need any required reading at all. Its just 12 issues of the first series that ended at the end of last year. Milk wars which is 5 issues, and then the new series, which is about half way through.
                                        Eternity Girl spawned out of Milk Wars, too. She has been pretty enjoyable in the event. I have yet to start her series.

A lot of the new titles don't cross over much, either. While they spawned from Metal, they don't really show up in it, it just talks a tiny bit about Metal. Nothing too big or important and the editors are good about noting the references.
                                        I've heard really good things about Sideways, Brimstone, and The Silencer. Same with The Immortal Men.
                                        I picked up The Unexpected but have yet to read it. I'm just a fan of what Steve Orlando has done lately with Midnighter and JLA, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll let you know how it is when I finish. lol
                                        Culpa's Twitch Channel!

Comment

Working...
                                        X