No announcement yet.

Marvel Comics General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wasn't bad, but as usual they kill off the minority characters, for whom they killed off the main cast to implement in the first place, instead deciding that instead of giving them proper character development to make them characters the audience could relate with they would rather not deal with all the work.

That's just cowardly. Why did Adult Jean have to play the (much overused) Messiah role? Was this really something that couldn't have been done with the other Jean? Do I really have to see the bones of dead children just to satisfy the old fans with permanent sticks up their asses whenever a new direction is taken?

If you're going to cop out at the last moment, don't bother killing off successful prominent characters to instate them at all.

Also, hi ;)
    Last edited by Debator; February 9th, 2018, 12:09 PM.
    "I am many things, Kal-El. But here, I am God." -Darkseid

I have fouled Paradise beyond repair and broken in the mire the shining cities of the Gods! I have won! Is this vanity? Then I will remake the entire universe in the image of my soul...And when at last I turn to look upon the eternal desolation I have wrought...I will see Darkseid, as in a mirror....and know what fear is.

-Darkseid

Comment

Recommend me some good Black Panther comics before the movie comes out

Comment

Originally posted by Nerise View Post
        Recommend me some good Black Panther comics before the movie comes out
        I enjoyed the Black Panther 2005 run, it's 41 issues and starts from when T'Challa becomes the Black Panther.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

I enjoyed the Black Panther 2005 run, it's 41 issues and starts from when T'Challa becomes the Black Panther.
          Great I'll start there

Comment

gonna read venom(2016) since he's about to become the flagship

Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n475594
            the words that dig into your heart and soul. Those are much harder to shake off.

Comment

100% agreed with what he said @10:00 Jean x Logan was fucking retarded.

Comment

• Issa
                Issa commented
                Editing a comment
                Future Vision Jean just told it to fuck off. It can't really die.

• Future Vision
                Future Vision commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh.

• Future Vision
                Future Vision commented
                Editing a comment
                The racism in X-Men is doesn't make sense I mean who the hell would hate someone as cute as Jean Grey or Rogue, especially when they've done nothing wrong?

Originally posted by Redx View Post
              100% agreed with what he said @10:00 Jean x Logan was fucking retarded.

That fan pandering garbage was one of the worst things to happen to the X-men. Cyclops > Wolverine.

Comment

Originally posted by Issa View Post

That fan pandering garbage was one of the worst things to happen to the X-men. Cyclops > Wolverine.
                This is so true. When I was reading through random X-Men books I was blown away by what an amazing leader Scott was.

The TV shows & The Movies all dickride Logan like he's the best Mutant. Scott gets no fucking respect whatsoever.

Comment

You both tripping Logan is the best mutant. He just sucks in a team atmosphere. Which defeats the purpose of him being on a team lol. His solo runs are infinitely better plus he has the best villains gallery in the x men. Cyclops is just pure x men and harder to portray. Why because his identity lives and dies as a x men. Either that or his identity is tied to a love interest. Like I said Villain Cyclops was way more interesting than leader cyclops. Logan dominated on screen for a reason. Doubtful that will change even in a reboot disney franchise. The character is just that strong.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post
                    You both tripping Logan is the best mutant. He just sucks in a team atmosphere. Which defeats the purpose of him being on a team lol. His solo runs are infinitely better plus he has the best villains gallery in the x men. Cyclops is just pure x men and harder to portray. Why because his identity lives and dies as a x men. Either that or his identity is tied to a love interest. Like I said Villain Cyclops was way more interesting than leader cyclops. Logan dominated on screen for a reason. Doubtful that will change even in a reboot disney franchise. The character is just that strong.
                    There was never a villain Cyclops. It was always Cyclops the fearless leader.

Originally posted by Redx View Post
                    This is so true. When I was reading through random X-Men books I was blown away by what an amazing leader Scott was.

The TV shows & The Movies all dickride Logan like he's the best Mutant. Scott gets no fucking respect whatsoever.
                    Logan had that cool, rebel, badass generic thing going for him in the 90s. Helped him get to the top. Most of the general public knows shit all about Cyclops or the X-Men as a whole for that matter. What's mainly portrayed on TV are the leftovers of a dead ass era of the X-Men which pretty much lost focus on what made the X-Men the X-Men in favor of over exaggerated superheroics. Fatal Attractions was the last good X-Men story in that era.
                    Last edited by Issa; February 15th, 2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

There was never a villain Cyclops. It was always Cyclops the fearless leader.
                      When I say villain I mean malcom x cyclops. In terms of the narrative he was radical. He was way more hardened than the old days. I dont see how you liked prep school boy cyclops so much. He was pretty great on missions. But his character outside of the uniform left much to be desired.

Comment

When I say villain I mean malcom x cyclops. In terms of the narrative he was radical. He was way more hardened than the old days. I dont see how you liked prep school boy cyclops so much. He was pretty great on missions. But his character outside of the uniform left much to be desired.
                        I wouldn't even call him radical. Peace was always his first option even during the 198 when it came to human interaction, but he had zero tolerance for Purifiers, Friends of Humanity, Bastion etc. Mainly because they'd RPG a bus full of even depowered child mutants the first chance they got.

The only thing that really changed in Scott during the Utopia era was his responsibility.

Prep school boy Cyclops didn't exist after the Kirby/Lee era. When Claremont took the reigns he turned him into an actual human being. He wasn't perfect and he wasn't always right which even he knew. Storm was the holier than thou and caring leader while Scott was the grounded yet stern leader.

-Losing Thunderbird on Krakoa
                        -Losing his future second wife twice
                        -Finding out his father was never dead and that he was never an Orphan
                        -Struggling to move on from the X-Men and live with his then pregnant wife Maddie
                        -Eventually finding out that Jean was never dead
                        -Having a nervous breakdown on his front porch which led him to leaving his wife and child to chase Jean
                        -Struggling with that constant guilt only to find out that his wife was just a Jean clone used by Sinister who'd been manipulating his life since he was an infant
                        -Finally saving his child only to find out that he'd have to send him to the future just so he could live out the TO virus

This is just Cyclops from 79 to 84 and when you say his character outside of the suit left a lot to be desired, I don't understand what you mean. One of the defining themes of the X-Men is that they aren't "super heroes" this is their life. In or out of the suit he's Scott summers. There was never a secret identity or a dual life. Scott Summers is inarguably one of Marvels best written characters. Have you ever read The Adventure of Cyclops and the Phoenix?

"I'm not writing superhero adventures, I'm telling the story of these characters lives" - Chris Claremont.

You should thank this man for that historic Wolverine Vol. 1 Claremont never wrote a bad character imo and he never had wallpaper.

Comment

I wouldn't even call him radical. Peace was always his first option even during the 198 when it came to human interaction, but he had zero tolerance for Purifiers, Friends of Humanity, Bastion etc. Mainly because they'd RPG a bus full of even depowered child mutants the first chance they got.

The only thing that really changed in Scott during the Utopia era was his responsibility.

Prep school boy Cyclops didn't exist after the Kirby/Lee era. When Claremont took the reigns he turned him into an actual human being. He wasn't perfect and he wasn't always right which even he knew. Storm was the holier than thou and caring leader while Scott was the grounded yet stern leader.

-Losing Thunderbird on Krakoa
                          -Losing his future second wife twice
                          -Finding out his father was never dead and that he was never an Orphan
                          -Struggling to move on from the X-Men and live with his then pregnant wife Maddie
                          -Eventually finding out that Jean was never dead
                          -Having a nervous breakdown on his front porch which led him to leaving his wife and child to chase Jean
                          -Struggling with that constant guilt only to find out that his wife was just a Jean clone used by Sinister who'd been manipulating his life since he was an infant
                          -Finally saving his child only to find out that he'd have to send him to the future just so he could live out the TO virus

This is just Cyclops from 79 to 84 and when you say his character outside of the suit left a lot to be desired, I don't understand what you mean. One of the defining themes of the X-Men is that they aren't "super heroes" this is their life. In or out of the suit he's Scott summers. There was never a secret identity or a dual life. Scott Summers is inarguably one of Marvels best written characters. Have you ever read The Adventure of Cyclops and the Phoenix?

"I'm not writing superhero adventures, I'm telling the story of these characters lives" - Chris Claremont.

You should thank this man for that historic Wolverine Vol. 1 Claremont never wrote a bad character imo and he never had wallpaper.
                          Lol he brought back x force. The xmen secret hit squad he was pretty radical. He just hid it better. Which is why never give him big dog status like Magneto who didn't hide his deeds.

Cyclops had a lot of character growth I will give him that. But I liked the result of the journey vs the process. Most of the time he came off as self righteous spouting ideals. While on the other hand doing dirt and a extremely weak mindset when it came to his personal life. Cyclops was two different characters most of the time. He was bipolar at that he would do dirt and then almost want to breakdown and confess. He is deconstructed character someone who went from golden to all his flaws thrown out. Not really my favorite type.

I read the adventure of cyclops and phoenix when I wanted to know more about cables history. It was pretty interesting and helped explain who cable was. Like most I only had introductory knowledge from the cartoon.

Historic wolverine is a perfect example of the many lives of wolverine. He was never one person in his timeline. Grumpy wolverine is just a result of all that. Claremont did get the ball rolling.

Comment

Lol he brought back x force. The xmen secret hit squad he was pretty radical. He just hid it better. Which is why never give him big dog status like Magneto who didn't hide his deeds.

Cyclops had a lot of character growth I will give him that. But I liked the result of the journey vs the process. Most of the time he came off as self righteous spouting ideals. While on the other hand doing dirt and a extremely weak mindset when it came to his personal life. Cyclops was two different characters most of the time. He was bipolar at that he would do dirt and then almost want to breakdown and confess. He is deconstructed character someone who went from golden to all his flaws thrown out. Not really my favorite type.

I read the adventure of cyclops and phoenix when I wanted to know more about cables history. It was pretty interesting and helped explain who cable was. Like most I only had introductory knowledge from the cartoon.

Historic wolverine is a perfect example of the many lives of wolverine. He was never one person in his timeline. Grumpy wolverine is just a result of all that. Claremont did get the ball rolling.
                            That's my point he only brought back X-Force to stop purifiers and Nimrods. When they completely disabled the Sentinels and Purifiers ability to hurt mutants he disbanded X-Force because that's all they were there for. That's not radical that's just self protection.

I'm not sure what you mean by Cyclops being bipolar or the whole self righteous thing(those labels fit Logan more than they'll ever fit Scott). His mindscape was complex when it came to his insecurities and fears. It often led to him doubting his own abilities in subtle ways. Like always turning his head from Jean in fear of blasting her.

And what do you mean do dirt then break down and confess? Give me some examples.

Golden to all his flaws thrown out? Explain.

Last edited by Issa; February 15th, 2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

That's my point he only brought back X-Force to stop purifiers and Nimrods. When they completely disabled the Sentinels and Purifiers ability to hurt mutants he disbanded X-Force because that's all they were there for. That's not radical that's just self protection.

I'm not sure what you mean by Cyclops being bipolar or the whole self righteous thing(those labels fit Logan more than they'll ever fit Scott). His mindscape was complex when it came to his insecurities and fears. It often led to him doubting his own abilities in subtle ways. Like always turning his head from Jean in fear of blasting her.

And what do you mean do dirt then break down and confess? Give me some examples.

Golden to all his flaws thrown out? Explain.
                              He was an extremist who got others to do the wet work for him. Like when he basically ordered the hit on the hell fire club via a teenage girl. He doesn't get his hands dirty but nonetheless orders it. Reminds me of prof x dirtbag moves lol.

Cyclops was a boyscout until the madelyne prior two step he did. Before that he always criticize Logan for his antics and act like his shit didn't stink lol. It took him walking out on his family to start showing mud on his armor. To me that is when he actually became interesting. He was deconstructed like I said.

Comment

He was an extremist who got others to do the wet work for him. Like when he basically ordered the hit on the hell fire club via a teenage girl. He doesn't get his hands dirty but nonetheless orders it. Reminds me of prof x dirtbag moves lol.

Cyclops was a boyscout until the madelyne prior two step he did. Before that he always criticize Logan for his antics and act like his shit didn't stink lol. It took him walking out on his family to start showing mud on his armor. To me that is when he actually became interesting. He was deconstructed like I said.
                                That's what he had to do as leader of the mutants at that time. I mean you really can't have it be known around the world that the leader of the mutants is part of a Purifier neutralizing black ops. And even beyond that he took on full responsibility for X-Forces actions regardless. Hell he took on full blame for any and everything that went wrong during his Utopia reign. He basically threw away his own heart to save mutants. HE stood glued to the cause while everybody else felt the need to criticize his actions while simultaneously doing fuck all to save mutants. Their dirt was his dirt and his hands weren't clean.

And by hit of the Hellfire club, I hope you don't mean what happened with Idie because that was anything, but a hit and that was 100% Logan's fault for being incompetent.

And he wasn't no damn extremist. Lol

If he was an extremist he'd have had Osborn assassinated after that dark X-Men stuff. He was more militant for sure, but that's kinda necessary when you have like 80% of the world looking to kill or experiment on the 200 of your species that remain. Add to that the fact the S.H.I.E.L.D doesn't give a shit and even has sentinels of their own.

Even before he abandoned his wife he was always having trouble coping with not being around Jean and the X-Men. Hell the entire reason he married Maddie was because she looked like Jean. Anybody could see the outcome of that from miles away. Add to the fact that it was Sinister who ultimately manipulated him into marrying Maddie in the first place. All so they could make an Omega Level baby. Even before then he never shirked off his failures of faults and be only ever really gave Wolverine shit when he tried to go off into his loner mode bullshit while completely neglecting his teammates on missions. He was anything, but a boyscout during the bulk of Claremont's run.

This whole idea of him being a boyscout comes from the 90s and their depiction of him in the greater media based off that cartoon. Boyscout Cyclops died when Krakoa took the X-Men.

Comment

That's what he had to do as leader of the mutants at that time. I mean you really can't have it be known around the world that the leader of the mutants is part of a Purifier neutralizing black ops. And even beyond that he took on full responsibility for X-Forces actions regardless. Hell he took on full blame for any and everything that went wrong during his Utopia reign. He basically threw away his own heart to save mutants. HE stood glued to the cause while everybody else felt the need to criticize his actions while simultaneously doing fuck all to save mutants. Their dirt was his dirt and his hands weren't clean.

And by hit of the Hellfire club, I hope you don't mean what happened with Idie because that was anything, but a hit and that was 100% Logan's fault for being incompetent.

And he wasn't no damn extremist. Lol

If he was an extremist he'd have had Osborn assassinated after that dark X-Men stuff. He was more militant for sure, but that's kinda necessary when you have like 80% of the world looking to kill or experiment on the 200 of your species that remain. Add to that the fact the S.H.I.E.L.D doesn't give a shit and even has sentinels of their own.

Even before he abandoned his wife he was always having trouble coping with not being around Jean and the X-Men. Hell the entire reason he married Maddie was because she looked like Jean. Anybody could see the outcome of that from miles away. Add to the fact that it was Sinister who ultimately manipulated him into marrying Maddie in the first place. All so they could make an Omega Level baby. Even before then he never shirked off his failures of faults and be only ever really gave Wolverine shit when he tried to go off into his loner mode bullshit while completely neglecting his teammates on missions. He was anything, but a boyscout during the bulk of Claremont's run.

This whole idea of him being a boyscout comes from the 90s and their depiction of him in the greater media based off that cartoon. Boyscout Cyclops died when Krakoa took the X-Men.
                                  I never said he didnt make hard decisions. But his personality was a hard opposite from what it used to be. Willing to kill and go to lengths the old cyclops would never condone.

It doesnt matter who fault it was. He still got Idie to do it lol.

Definitely an extremist of you got teenagers doing wetwork. He just wasnt some hardline asshole to hos teammates like how Magneto used to be lol.

That is just one part. You fail to realize a good portion of Scott character is him moping after Jean in one way or another. The adventures of Cyclops and phoenix was a brief reprieve in that. In fact he became infinitely better once Jean died. I like militant Cyclops you are mistaken if you think the opposite. I like hardened Marvel characters in general. Hence my like of Wolverine and Frank Castle for example. I just didnt care for him that much before Jean died.

When he wasbt a boyscout the change after that was a lot of moping. You have to admit that. If it was drama with Jean it was drama with her clone. I think they realized that fact which is why she stayed dead for as long as she did lol.
                                  Last edited by 40 acres; February 16th, 2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I never said he didnt make hard decisions. But his personality was a hard opposite from what it used to be. Willing to kill and go to lengths the old cyclops would never condone.

It doesnt matter who fault it was. He still got Idie to do it lol.

Definitely an extremist of you got teenagers doing wetwork. He just wasnt some hardline asshole to hos teammates like how Magneto used to be lol.

That is just one part. You fail to realize a good portion of Scott character is him moping after Jean in one way or another. The adventures of Cyclops and phoenix was a brief reprieve in that. In fact he became infinitely better once Jean died. I like militant Cyclops you are mistaken if you think the opposite. I like hardened Marvel characters in general. Hence my like of Wolverine and Frank Castle for example. I just didnt care for him that much before Jean died.

When he wasbt a boyscout the change after that was a lot of moping. You have to admit that. If it was drama with Jean it was drama with her clone. I think they realized that fact which is why she stayed dead for as long as she did lol.
                                    His personality was the same as always stern with his leadership and insecure with his emotions and relationships. He grew he didn't change.

Nah, bruh maybe you don't remember the situation.

Logan was supposed to be guarding the museum in case of anti-mutant danger while the kids enjoyed themselves. What did he do? He went to go get drunk because he was pouting about Cyclops being the leader of Utopia. Meanwhile the Hellfire goons attack the exhibit and threaten to blow the entire museum up (Mutants, humans and all) which they were actually gonna do.

She and all her friends were without a doubt going to die because Logan decided to not do his job and go on one of his loner benders yet again. There was no way Cyclops could get a team there in time to slay the goons as his hands were full and his teams were all already dispatched which is why Logan was running security in the first place. He told Idie the flat out truth and told her to do what she thought was necessary to save herself.

Cyclops was training at risk of extinction teens to defend themselves from terrorists while Logan wanted to be a hypocritical and holier-than-thou mother Theresa in the safety of Avengers tower.

Whose fault was it that Idie had to kill those men? Come on....

His moping had more to do than with just Jean. There were many factors in his fucked up life that made him depressed after a while. Jean Grey dying on him twice was one, but not the only. Losing Thunderbird, failing to keep leadership of the X-Men, finding out how his mother died, losing his brother, his fear of his powers etc.
                                    Last edited by Issa; February 16th, 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

His personality was the same as always stern with his leadership and insecure with his emotions and relationships. He grew he didn't change.

Nah, bruh maybe you don't remember the situation.

Logan was supposed to be guarding the museum in case of anti-mutant danger while the kids enjoyed themselves. What did he do? He went to go get drunk because he was pouting about Cyclops being the leader of Utopia. Meanwhile the Hellfire goons attack the exhibit and threaten to blow the entire museum up (Mutants, humans and all) which they were actually gonna do.

She and all her friends were without a doubt going to die because Logan decided to not do his job and go on one of his loner benders yet again. There was no way Cyclops could get a team there in time to slay the goons as his hands were full and his teams were all already dispatched which is why Logan was running security in the first place. He told Idie the flat out truth and told her to do what she thought was necessary to save herself.

Cyclops was training at risk of extinction teens to defend themselves from terrorists while Logan wanted to be a hypocritical and holier-than-thou mother Theresa in the safety of Avengers tower.

Whose fault was it that Idie had to kill those men? Come on....

His moping had more to do than with just Jean. There were many factors in his fucked up life that made him depressed after a while. Jean Grey dying on him twice was one, but not the only. Losing Thunderbird, failing to keep leadership of the X-Men, finding out how his mother died, losing his brother, his fear of his powers etc.
                                      He didnt really grow. Jean died and he never had that same level of attachment with Emma. He became more focused. Was it for the better who knows considering in the end he died in infamy. None his plans really worked out. Granted that has more to do with the writerss putting the x series in a sorta boring stagnation after his death. The books held a stronger interest with his last character arc he went through before his death.

Logan was always unstable that is his thing. Scott on the otherhand never used to advocate murder. Especially from the kids. Logan did but not him. Speaking of which people seem to think Logan was hypocrite for advocating self defense one minute and going at Scott the next. No what he advocated was to not turn them into 24/7 soldiers. Only fight when it interferes with your normal. Which was completely different from what Cyclops wanted. Even in that situation Scott didn't have to push for the kill. He used to be all about self defense. I find it ironic you dont realize what Logan was preaching to Scott was Scott old philosophy.

Whatever the reason he went through a pretty long season of being the poster character of suicide watch lol.

Comment

He didnt really grow. Jean died and he never had that same level of attachment with Emma. He became more focused. Was it for the better who knows considering in the end he died in infamy. None his plans really worked out. Granted that has more to do with the writerss putting the x series in a sorta boring stagnation after his death. The books held a stronger interest with his last character arc he went through before his death.

Logan was always unstable that is his thing. Scott on the otherhand never used to advocate murder. Especially from the kids. Logan did but not him. Speaking of which people seem to think Logan was hypocrite for advocating self defense one minute and going at Scott the next. No what he advocated was to not turn them into 24/7 soldiers. Only fight when it interferes with your normal. Which was completely different from what Cyclops wanted. Even in that situation Scott didn't have to push for the kill. He used to be all about self defense. I find it ironic you dont realize what Logan was preaching to Scott was Scott old philosophy.
                                        With Jeans death Scott was forced to grow as a leader and person. Just because he still loved his wife doesn't mean he didn't grow. And to the contrary most of his plans worked out. The problem was people fucking them up after they'd worked out. And he only died hated because Emma tricked the world into thinking he was a madman even though destroying a cloud threatening to cause genocide to his species shouldn't have made his a madman or "Hitler" in the first place, but Marvel is short on competent writers.

And nope that doesn't excuse Logan from royally fucking up. Fact is he should have been there to protect Idie and those people. Had Logan done his job Logan would have had no reason to blame Scott for Logans fuck up. And Scott did not tell Idie to kill them he told her do what you feel is necessary. It was either she protected herself or she died. That bomb was going to kill her and hundreds and she knew this.

Scott never forced or asked a single one of the children to kill and it was never his intention to make them 24/7 soldiers. On Utopia they were schooled, free, and safe for the most part. What Scott was doing with the children was no different than what Xavier was doing with the X-Men from the start. The threat of extinction was the mutants normal. There were less than two hundred of them left on the planet and everything from Dracula to Osborn wanted them dead or locked away.

Logan: She killed those men!
                                        Scott: Yeah because you weren't there to protect her from almost dying. . .
                                        Logan: But she killed those men!

Logan got his school and it was attacked almost every week, destroyed basically every month. Sentinels, HFC, Dark Beast, S.H.E.I.L.D, Dire Wraiths, Brood etc. Turns out the kids were far safer on Utopia properly learning how to defend themselves with teams of veteran X-Men and MAGNETO safeguarding them. Not only that, but when shit hit the fan Logan quit. He ran away from the school and went back to X-Force. While he was failing at being a headmaster and completely neglecting these kids future as mutants and functioning members of society Scott and his team were saving the world from Celestial destruction and keeping the kids safe on Utopia. Schism in its entirety made 0 sense and that's why, I'll never respect the editorial decision. Logan could have easily made a school on Utopia and the mutants were already back & forth from the mainland to begin with.

Logan was also a bleeding heart hypocrite long before this. Stabbing Rachel in the heart after preaching to her about X-Men not killing made him look completely foolish. Add to that the fact that Selene whom Rachel was gonna end immediately went on to kill two innocents virtually 10 seconds later.

And what do you mean Scotts old philosophy? Peace and safety first was still his overall mission. Self protection just became equally as important. All Scott did was become a more proactive Xavier. The X-Men being too reactionary is what got them fucked in the first place. Scott knew his job wasn't to be Saint Summers at the time. His job was to keep them alive which would not have happened any other way. Scott was more than happy to let his friends have their moral high horses and even hate him so long as they were alive.
                                        Last edited by Issa; February 16th, 2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                        Auto-Saved
                                        x
                                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                        Working...
                                        X