The Holy Trinity of Mecha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holy Trinity of Mecha

If you haven't seen any of these three, you aren't doing it right :p 0V7k2c6.jpg

Mazinger Z (Go Nagai): The first one to even put pilots inside giant robots, and the inventor of the super robot genre. It probably even did the whole "shouting your attacks" anime tradition first (it was made in 1972 so it's quite likely). Without this, we wouldn't have had everything else of that type (including Megas XLR obviously).

Getter Robo (Ken Ishikawa): The first giant combining robot, made out of 3 jets with pilots in each, and can take 3 forms depending on the order of the combination. Without this, we wouldn't have had stuff like Voltron, Super Sentai/Power Rangers megazords, Ideon, Gunbuster, GaoGaiGar, Gurren Lagann (especially), and just about any other combining mecha series.

Mobile Suit Gundam (Yoshiyuki Tomino): The first series to apply real life physics to giant robots and portray them as mass-produced war machines rather than as heroes fighting for justice, in what would become the real robot division of the mecha genre. Macross, VOTOMS, Code Geass, Patlabor, and even non-anime such as Mechassault, Titanfall, and Metal Gear follow this blueprint for the most part.
    Last edited by ShinGaoKaiser; July 10th, 2017, 04:20 AM.

Originally posted by ShinGaoKaiser View Post
    If you haven't seen any of these three, you aren't doing it right :p 0V7k2c6.jpg

Mazinger Z (Go Nagai): The first one to even put pilots inside giant robots, and the inventor of the super robot genre. It probably even did the whole "shouting your attacks" anime tradition first (it was made in 1972 so it's quite likely). Without this, we wouldn't have had everything else of that type (including Megas XLR obviously).

Getter Robo (Ken Ishikawa): The first giant combining robot, made out of 3 jets with pilots in each, and can take 3 forms depending on the order of the combination. Without this, we wouldn't have had stuff like Voltron, Super Sentai/Power Rangers megazords, Ideon, Gunbuster, GaoGaiGar, Gurren Lagann (especially), and just about any other combining mecha series.

Mobile Suit Gundam (Yoshiyuki Tomino): The first series to apply real life physics to giant robots and portray them as mass-produced war machines rather than as heroes fighting for justice, in what would become the real robot division of the mecha genre. Macross, VOTOMS, Code Geass, Patlabor, and even non-anime such as Mechassault, Titanfall, and Metal Gear follow this blueprint for the most part.
    Just the old ones? What about Full Metal Panic?

Comment

So does Mecha Godzilla 2 count as a combining robot?

Comment

but mecha anime suck
        Originally posted by #83.6666666667 ;n457904
        Most of the German population is Catholic, but the majority is Protestants.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post
          but mecha anime suck
          Shut up hitler!

Comment

nah nigga

Gurren Lagan and Big O >>>>>>>>>>>>>
            Originally posted by Snap
            "man you always know what to get me for my birthday, you really are a nigger"

Comment

Gundam is a YUGE franchise with series ranging from excellent to fucking embarrassments

Big O and Gurren Lagann are > most of those

but Escaflowneis even better than those, so :\

Comment

Originally posted by Future Vision View Post

Just the old ones? What about Full Metal Panic?
                I'm talking OG mecha. You can make your own new mecha trinity if you want.

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post
                but mecha anime suck
                Megas XLR was based off of most of this BTW
                It referenced Mazinger Z a crap load of times and the last episode along with a few others were references to Mobile Suit Gundam.
                Heck it even threw in a reference to Getter Robo G once :p

Originally posted by Sheko View Post
                nah nigga

Gurren Lagan and Big O >>>>>>>>>>>>>
                Gurren Lagann? The RIP-OFF series? Don't make me laugh, please. And yes, It ripped off all of these shows and more in the world of mecha. Not to mention it isn't even an OG and it doesn't have nearly as good theme songs (not openings, theme songs, and they're important to Super Robots).
                To enlighten you on how would be too tasking. Mazinger Z being the first Super Robot had a lot of weight in the creation of Gurren Lagann. For example, this:

35zld2a.jpg

And that's not all either.

With Getter Robo... don't even get me started on this one.
                Spiral energy is literally a watered-down version of Getter Rays, color, abilities, and all. Heck even the robots getting bigger and bigger is Getter Robo.
                Then there's the tons of other Getter Robo references here and there that it's a lot to explain. But Kamina (and Super Galaxy Dai-Gurren) got his glasses from something in Getter Robo Armageddon, Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann literally copied Getter Robo G's pose when it came out from underwater, etc...

Luckily, the original Mobile Suit Gundam was the least referenced one out of them all. Gurren Lagann took from it the concept of naming robots anything other than robots (Mobile Suits, Gunmen, the word "robot" literally doesn't exist in the vocabulary of either verse), along with the whole "piloted robot-only" combat forces throughout the entire series, no giant monsters or anything like that. They also took the whole Grapearl thing from the real robot genre that it started, and then the thing about a gray area and stuff, no real good and evil (Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam does that a lot). And then they took stuff from non-Tomino works such as G Gundam (Lordgenome is basically Master Asia) and After War Gundam X (their literal episode naming style along with a reference in the 2nd episode).
                Also, Gundam has this:

nn20090725f1a.jpg

And Gurren Lagann doesn't, so suck it :p

The Big O is literally made by the same studio as Gundam.

Also, Gurren Lagann is nowhere near as influential as any of these three series.

In fact, its very design along with two of its next forms copy from each of these:

Originally posted by dan View Post
                Gundam is a YUGE franchise with series ranging from excellent to fucking embarrassments

but Escaflowne is even better than those, so :\
                Read above for Gurren Lagann.

The Big O and Escaflowne like Gundam were made by Sunrise anyway :p
                Last edited by ShinGaoKaiser; July 12th, 2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Sheko
                  Sheko commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're a bit of a spaz, aren't ya? Lol

• ShinGaoKaiser
                  ShinGaoKaiser commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Na I just let myself go for a moment there as I've come to enjoy exposing Gurren Lagann whenever the opportunity presents itself :p

Originally posted by Sayaka Miki View Post
                So does Mecha Godzilla 2 count as a combining robot?
                If it combines, then yes :p

Comment

First of all, who were you on MVC, second I realize now that you're saying that those franchises, which literally molded and crafted mecha anime as it was and is, are the big 3, which I agree with.

I was arguing about particular series (ie, no one will argue that Gundam Seed is better than Beast King GoLion, ya know) - my bad

Comment

First of all, who were you on MVC, second I realize now that you're saying that those franchises, which literally molded and crafted mecha anime as it was and is, are the big 3, which I agree with.

I was arguing about particular series (ie, no one will argue that Gundam Seed is better than Beast King GoLion, ya know) - my bad
                    I'd like to leave that behind if it isn't too much to ask.
                    Exactly, thanks for getting my point. Thanks for clearing that last part up BTW. It's no big deal.
                    Last edited by ShinGaoKaiser; July 12th, 2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Gundam 00, STTGL, and FMP is my HTM

Comment

Originally posted by Future Vision View Post
                        Gundam 00, STTGL, and FMP is my HTM
                        Fair enough.

Comment

However, my previous wall of text wasn't at all to imply that Gurren Lagann was in any way bad, as it was particularly made for the purpose of being a homage to many of the mecha anime series that came before it, influential or no.
                          In fact, it's quite a pillar of genius how they were able to combine stuff from various mecha anime series over the years and put it in a blender to make it seem like an original part of the show (to viewers who aren't acquainted with mecha) in just 26 episodes.

Comment

but Escaflowneis even better than those, so :\
                            Thunderbolt > GL

Big O is a GOAT. Wtf is a ecaflower

Comment

• ShinGaoKaiser
                              ShinGaoKaiser commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The Vision of Escaflowne. Has a real knight-like mecha,

• Issa
                              Issa commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I was just being a sarcastic fuck sorry

• ShinGaoKaiser
                              ShinGaoKaiser commented
                              Editing a comment
                              No problem, actually didn't realize that :p

The only type of mech series I haven't seen is Getter Robo. How is it compared to Mazinger and Gundam?

Comment

G gundam was my shit. Code geas was also pretty dope.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post
                                G gundam was my shit.
                                I thought I was the only weirdo who loved G Gundam....

Comment

Originally posted by Redx View Post
                                  I thought I was the only weirdo who loved G Gundam....
                                  You weren't it was actually the only gundam series I have ever watched the entirety of.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post

You weren't it was actually the only gundam series I have ever watched the entirety of.
                                    It was literally my favorite Gundam and probably the one I enjoyed the most.

Most people tend to think it's shit because it wasn't like any of the other Gundam series but thats exactly why I loved it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                    Auto-Saved
                                    x
                                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                    Working...
                                    X