No announcement yet.

One Piece Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just go to Dressrosa in the Manga, cause anime isn't dubbed that far, and I have to say. I don't like Haki that much.

Comment

• Redx
      Redx commented
      Editing a comment
      You watch the dub? pig disgusting.

• General Naruto
      General Naruto commented
      Editing a comment
      Kay

• Redx
      Redx commented
      Editing a comment
      lol

-Person- About our previous discussion: I still hold that One Piece will never have any Gods in the series because the ones we typically get are people who are "like" gods in the way that they're written(Enel, The Tenryuubito etc). Mr Morj explains this in his video about "God's Natural Enemy" but these are gods "in-theme-only" not literal gods. Not to mention when looking at the nature of the series theres no real reason to introduce any kind of all powerful being.

However recently in a discussion on OJ I did concede that such a character could be plausible depending on how it's handled. And I'm not referring to the kind of poorly written gods like Kaguya/Yhwach who were antagonists that the MC had to objectively defeat in combat which resulted in the author writing himself into a corner. I'm referring to something more goofy and suited to the cartoonish nature of One Piece. A trickster god along the lines of Mr Mxyzptlk or the Great Gazoo. Someone who becomes interested in the immeasurable will of the Pirate King and simply seeks to mess with him because of it.

Thats something you can write an adventure/comedy around without overbloating Luffy's power level. DC did this great with Mxy & Supes. And Gazoo was pretty hilarious to me as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Redx View Post
      Toriko was probably #2 in terms of world building but the gap between it and OP was pretty massive due to Oda's mastery of the ripple effect and making every character feel like a story in and of themselves.
      Agreed. Toriko's lore in regards to characters is severely lacking. Much of it is based on Acacia or the Blue Nitro, which only serves to shrink what is supposed to be an enormous world.

Comment

Someone who simply seeks to mess with him because of it.
        Oh, go eat 100 ghost peppers in a single sitting. Oda is a trash writer who could never pull off a Mxy properly. Not that that's even his endgame, given what we know about the Will of the Devil (so mystery, such wow)...
        Last edited by Oneiros; February 21st, 2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post
          Oh, go eat 100 ghost peppers in a single sitting. Oda is a trash writer who could never pull off a Mxy properly. Not that that's even his endgame, given what we know about the Will of the Devil (so mystery, such wow)...
          LOL. Oda could pull it off bro. He's obviously not gonna do it but if he did he'd handle it way better than the authors of Nardo & Bleh. I mean he is Goda after all.

Comment

LOL. Oda could pull it off bro. He's obviously not gonna do it but if he did he'd handle it way better than the authors of Nardo & Bleh. I mean he is Goda after all.
            Well making your universes "God" the antagonist is objectively retarded unless you are going to have them win. Even Toriyama was smart enough to make this thing the main deity in his series

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

Well making your universes "God" the antagonist is objectively retarded unless you are going to have them win. Even Toriyama was smart enough to make this thing the main deity in his series
              Not really these series at their core is about transcending. Its fictional not like it really matters. You are following the story of a rubber man who can make armies pass out with his will. Not only that demigods triumphing over gods have been popular storytelling since the beginning of written language. Some have done it better than others of course.

That being said if you think db won't have Goku surpass zeno at one point or another then you must never have watched db. Before Zeno Beerus was a similar entity. Now Goku is more or less in the same territory lol.

Overall there is very high chance some df origin power or creator will be introduced. That or the thing that destroyed the world and turned one piece into fractured islands. There is always a "god" in these stories. Whether they have the actual name god is nonsensical considering that word is subjective. Even Kaguya wasn't really a traditional god. A creature from a different dimension.
              Last edited by 40 acres; February 21st, 2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

In DB's case, Goku surpassing Zen'Oh is a bad idea since it wouldn't go in line with Goku's motives or one of the central themes of the series of there always being someone better.

In OP's case, there should be no gods. Fuck traditional shonen storytelling.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post

Not really these series at their core is about transcending. Its fictional not like it really matters. You are following the story of a rubber man who can make armies pass out with his will. Not only that demigods triumphing over gods have been popular storytelling since the beginning of written language. Some have done it better than others of course.
                  Transcending creation is too much especially when you give your god omniscience, it can be written well but it really shouldn't be attempted in the context of fighting series. You at least have to go the "Preacher" route and have him brought down to your level for some reason. Simply powering up to "God Level" is retarded.

That being said if you think db won't have Goku surpass zeno at one point or another then you must never have watched db. Before Zeno Beerus was a similar entity. Now Goku is more or less in the same territory lol.
                  Probably but I don't see him physically fighting Zeno regardless, though DBS is shit so who knows.

Overall there is very high chance some df origin power or creator will be introduced. That or the thing that destroyed the world and turned one piece into fractured islands. There is always a "god" in these stories. Whether they have the actual name god is nonsensical considering that word is subjective. Even Kaguya wasn't really a traditional god. A creature from a different dimension.
                  If Oda introduces a god that wont be surprising to me, if he has Luffy beat him up then it will be shit writing. The term god is misused in the first place when it comes to fiction.

Comment

Read my earlier post dude. And watch the videos.

I'm not saying he'd be an antagonist like Kaguya/Yhwach were. He wouldn't be someone Luffy has to fight. I'm talking about the way it's handled in typical Superman/Mxyzptlk situations.

It's been mentioned that Luffy's major weakness is tricks. Having Luffy deal with a trickster type god who could exploit that weakness would be a wonderful change from having him be an opponent that Luffy has to fight directly. Especially after the series is over when he's Pirate King and theres no one who could challenge him anymore. The point is that he wouldn't challenge Luffy's strength he'd challenge his mind and force him to come of with something creative in order to send the being away.

Not to mention theres countless gags Oda could play with using this type of character. I'm not saying this'll ever happen but if it did this is the kind of god that would make the most sense for the One Piece world.

Comment

• EnemyOfDaState
                      EnemyOfDaState commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was agreeing with you.

Overall there is very high chance some df origin power or creator will be introduced.
                    There isn't at all. lol.

I'm just explaining how it "could" work.

Something like Gazoo or Mxy is the way to go for a series like One Piece.

Comment

Transcending creation is too much especially when you give your god omniscience, it can be written well but it really shouldn't be attempted in the context of fighting series. You at least have to go the "Preacher" route and have him brought down to your level for some reason. Simply powering up to "God Level" is retarded.
                      You already said it yourself most termed as god in fiction is not a god. Often times a powerful creature, person, and etc that understands the abilities of the world better than everyone else. They are not really gods. Even if they are called gods. Often times the story will even explain that fact.

Probably but I don't see him physically fighting Zeno regardless, though DBS is shit so who knows.
                      He probably wont fight Zeno but a creature that can one shot Zeno lol. Speaking of db Kami is another good example of the term god.

If Oda introduces a god that wont be surprising to me, if he has Luffy beat him up then it will be shit writing. The term god is misused in the first place when it comes to fiction.
                      Some type of god fighting shenigans almost always happen. If the Luffy doesn't fight "god" he will fight the person who snatched "god" power. Regardless of what people think about this story. Oda is a fan of traditional shounen story telling. One piece is a traditional shounen it just has elements that it's fan like. It doesn't reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Wan Pissu's author couldn't even handle the main character better in spite of having him in circulation for 20+ years. Relax.

Comment

There isn't at all. lol.

I'm just explaining how it "could" work.

Something like Gazoo or Mxy is the way to go for a series like One Piece.
                          You are only fooling yourself. Oda is very much a fanboy to traditional shounen story elements. Even out of the ones you dislike. In fact one piece has a very heavy likeness to kid goku db spiritually at least. Oda won't opt out of a traditional shounen ending. Like I said above and what others have said God is a subjective term.

Comment

Wan Pissu's author couldn't even handle the main character better in spite of having him in circulation for 20+ years. Relax.
                            So much jell. Luffy > 99% of shounen protags.

#JustFacts

You are only fooling yourself. Oda is very much a fanboy to traditional shounen story elements. Even out of the ones you dislike. In fact one piece has a very heavy likeness to kid goku db spiritually at least.
                            Nah Luffy is closer to Sun Wukong than Goku. This guy explains it:

Don't get me wrong it'd be cool and maybe even a little ironic to see Luffy after defeating so many psuedo "Gods" actually run up on a real one.

But theres no real reason why a literal god would exist in this series.
                            Last edited by Redx; February 21st, 2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

So much jell. Luffy > 99% of shounen protags.

#JustFacts
                              LOL, even you don't believe that.

If anything, he's worse than 99% of shonen protags (most of whom are trash anyway, so...). Tanjirou >, Ichigo >, Kenshin >, Lelouch >, Light >, Edward >, Aladdin >, Yusuke >, Jio >, Allen > etc. etc. etc. Luffy being better than the literal WOATs like Natsu, Goku, and arguably Naruto is immaterial.

Also, I was wondering where that faggot, Crismon, suddenly went off to... You assimilated him like a RL Teach, huh?
                              Last edited by Oneiros; February 21st, 2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

LOL, even you don't believe that.

If anything, he's worse than 99% of shonen protags (most of whom are trash anyway, so...). Spike Spiegel >, Tanjirou >, Kenshin >, Lelouch >, Light >, Edward >, Aladdin >, Yusuke >, Jio >, Allen > etc. etc. etc. Luffy being better than the literal WOATs like Natsu, Goku, and arguably Naruto is immaterial.

Also, I was wondering where that faggot, Crismon, suddenly went off to... You assimilated him like a RL Teach, huh?
                                Fixed

Edit: Also nice set, I watched Split like a month ago and it had me thinking about that movie.
                                Last edited by EnemyOfDaState; February 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Also nice set, I watched Split like a month ago and it had me thinking about that movie.
                                  Sorry for continuing the off-topic conversation, but Mr. Shyamalan actually confirmed a sequel to both Unbreakable and Split, working title Glass, set to be released in early 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Phobetor View Post
                                    Sorry for continuing the off-topic conversation, but Mr. Shyamalan actually confirmed a sequel to both Unbreakable and Split, working title Glass, set to be released in early 2019.
                                    That's what's up. Hopefully Split was the start of a new era for Shyamalan, one where his name isn't a meme.
                                    Last edited by EnemyOfDaState; February 22nd, 2018, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Phobetor
                                      Phobetor commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Pipe dream, but one can hope. :}

Oh my god you're all so fucking dumb, so beneath me that it honestly embarrasses me as a human There have already been 4 gods (at least) shown in the manga and Luffy is stronger than all of them, get mad

Comment

Working...
                                    X