Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kajin_Style

Yes, totally agree.

However the light itself is not the heat. The energy from the star is the heat.
    It depends on how you want to look at it. Both are true, really. The temperature of the sun itself is a result of the energy it produces, i.e. its luminosity. However, the warming of surrounding bodies is caused by the light from the sun. (Infrared and UV, mostly.)

In layman's terms, the Earth is heated from the light generated by the sun, because the sun is transferring its energy through space as radiation. (In the form of light)

Comment

Those are the correct terms and were used properly. In the very links I shared they were used that way. In the videos I posted they were used that way. Stop talking out of your ass.
      I'm not saying they used them incorrectly, I'm saying you did. Do I really need to go find your quotes?

Oh trust me, I understood what he meant but the scientific terms and phrases he used and the way he used them was wrong and painted a different picture. One I sought to correct.
      He isn't wrong though. The way he described it is correct. Heat and light don't mean the same thing but with more light you get more heat which is what was said and understood by everyone. That is how anyone talking about this subject talks about it.

"Heat transfer through radiation
      The third method of transferring heat – the one responsible for heating the planet and everyone on it – is radiation. In space, there are hardly any particles (making it a near-perfect vacuum), but there is radiation, which gets converted into heat when it collides with an object. Radiation is responsible for heating not only Earth-bound objects, but also objects that are not (physically) adhered to our planet, such as the ISS, the moon and other celestial bodies."

" So, these photons travel through a vacuum without any problem, but as soon as they collide with an object, like the Earth or other celestial bodies, they get absorbed and impart heat energy to the host object in the process.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sci...html%3fisamp=1

And from your Quota source:
      "It's the other way around. Heat is a type of light.

Heat, or how warm something is, is just energy. And this energy can be radiated using photons. If the wavelength of those photons is in approximately 350 - 800 nm scale, we can see it. If it's longer, than it becomes infrared, something we don't see.

But energy doesn't need to be radiated perse. It can be perceived as the kinetic energy of the atoms or molecules, making something 'hot'. That energy is conducted to surrounding molecules, which gives us conduction.

Radiation, conduction and convection form the three ways energy can be transferred."

You're embarrassing yourself, mate.

Wrong. That is not what I said. I said the brightness has ZERO relation to the amount of heat the sun puts out. The light does not not increase this heat, and removing it would not make it loses any heat either.

So again. Stop talking out of your ass.
      Lmaooo, that's what you said and are still saying. Like what are you doing?
      Are you retarded? You just spent days arguing that light and heat are not the same thing. Now you're saying the Sun puts out heat, which is light. You have zero grasp of what you're talking about.

Lol, removing the Sun (sunlight) will cause the Earth to freeze. This is sad at this point.
      "tôi kratistôi"

Comment

Yes, totally agree.

However the light itself is not the heat. The energy from the star is the heat.

EDIT: And yes. I know. Saying "Zero relation" was a mistake on my part. There is relation to the brightness and the temperature. However, the brightness and color of light are just indicators of how hot something is. The light itself is not the source of the heat. It may be coming from the source of the heat, but the light isn't the heat source. Does that make sense?

The light is the energy, which when it makes contact with objects conducts heat. You're being over backwards to be right when you're wrong.

Unless you think heat from the Sun is a magical force that needs no medium to travel in. Which we call EMW or in this conversation light. Which means you're wrong.
        "tôi kratistôi"

Comment

Okay, the energy from Fusion in a star is released as a Gamma Ray Photon. This Gamma Ray collides with billions of atomic nuclei and electrons on its way out of the star. Each time the photon hits something, it gets split into photons with longer wavelengths. The energy leaving the surface of the Sun is mostly in the visible and infrared spectrum, but the energy starts out as Gamma Ray Photons.

Comment

Perhaps I need to split this whole science conversation into a different topic...

Comment

• Kajin_Style
              Kajin_Style commented
              Editing a comment
              lol maybe

Wade #83.6666666667 Kajin_Style

Comment

• Kajin_Style
              Kajin_Style commented
              Editing a comment
              oh nice

Originally posted by Cid

It depends on how you want to look at it. Both are true, really. The temperature of the sun itself is a result of the energy it produces, i.e. its luminosity. However, the warming of surrounding bodies is caused by the light from the sun. (Infrared and UV, mostly.)

In layman's terms, the Earth is heated from the light generated by the sun, because the sun is transferring its energy through space as radiation. (In the form of light)
            No.. ahh...!!!

Both are not true! Light =/= heat. They are two separate things. Luminosity is the measure of the brightness of a star. If you look up the math formula it does not include temperature, heat is never a factor in its formula. Instead they look at the energy, the watts, the joules, the radiating energy. They take this energy to measure its luminosity. You can look at it here if you wish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_luminosity

The Earth is heated by the full EM spectrum. Light itself, the visible light (which is the light I've been referring to this whole time!) imparts no heat. It gives no energy because it is energy that is either absorb or reflected. For an object to give off heat it must remain in existence and impart that heat (aka energy) into another object. If the object is absorb instead, then it isn't giving off heat, it is becoming the full and whatever absorb it generated heat as a by product.

Let's also try to not associate all energy as to just something from the EM spectrum because energy can from in the forms of kinetic (meteors anyone?), chemical (bombs, fire?) , mechanical, nuclear and so on. All these things produce energy and heat.

Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
            I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post

No.. ahh...!!!

Both are not true! Light =/= heat. They are two separate things. Luminosity is the measure of the brightness of a star. If you look up the math formula it does not include temperature, heat is never a factor in its formula. Instead they look at the energy, the watts, the joules, the radiating energy. They take this energy to measure its luminosity. You can look at it here if you wish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_luminosity

The Earth is heated by the full EM spectrum. Light itself, the visible light (which is the light I've been referring to this whole time!) imparts no heat. It gives no energy because it is energy that is either absorb or reflected. For an object to give off heat it must remain in existence and impart that heat (aka energy) into another object. If the object is absorb instead, then it isn't giving off heat, it is becoming the full and whatever absorb it generated heat as a by product.

Let's also try to not associate all energy as to just something from the EM spectrum because energy can from in the forms of kinetic (meteors anyone?), chemical (bombs, fire?) , mechanical, nuclear and so on. All these things produce energy and heat.
              A star's luminosity is determined by its size and temperature. The temperature determines the brightness, brightness has little to do with actual luminosity because luminosity as I mentioned prior and as you just repeated is a measure of energy. Luminosity and apparent brightness are not synonymous.

And sure, the Earth is heated by the full EM spectrum. However an overwhelming majority of the energy from the sun comes from IR and Visible light with UV light coming in a distant third. Those are the three primary sources of heat here on Earth. Which is why Wade was correct when he said that the Earth would become much, much hotter as the sun entered into its Subgiant and Red Giant phases.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

I'm not saying they used them incorrectly, I'm saying you did. Do I really need to go find your quotes?
                Yes you do. Go find my quotes where I missed used it.

He isn't wrong though. The way he described it is correct. Heat and light don't mean the same thing but with more light you get more heat which is what was said and understood by everyone. That is how anyone talking about this subject talks about it.
                Yes, the light is just an indication of the heat. Yet the light isn't the heat. You could heat a piece of metal to 1,000C, glowing white hot and then take a super bright flashlight and drown out the light radiating from the piece of metal. By the definition of Wade a brighter thing would mean it is hotter... so is then that flashlight hotter than the piece of metal at 1,000C?

"Heat transfer through radiation
                The third method of transferring heat – the one responsible for heating the planet and everyone on it – is radiation. In space, there are hardly any particles (making it a near-perfect vacuum), but there is radiation, which gets converted into heat when it collides with an object. Radiation is responsible for heating not only Earth-bound objects, but also objects that are not (physically) adhered to our planet, such as the ISS, the moon and other celestial bodies."

" So, these photons travel through a vacuum without any problem, but as soon as they collide with an object, like the Earth or other celestial bodies, they get absorbed and impart heat energy to the host object in the process.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sci...html%3fisamp=1
                I bold the important bit you didn't quiet grasp. In your very article:

Heat is a form of energy. It is the energy that an object possesses by virtue of the movement of its constituent particles. These particles are continuously moving, hitting and bouncing off each other (solids allow minimal movement, while gases allow maximum movement of constituent particles). The faster these particles move and hit each other, the hotter the object in question becomes.

Heat is created when particles move and bounce off of each other.

Light and radiation however is absorbed. They are the fuel to particles not their source of heat. They make the heat themselves and that heat is infact, fast moving particles.

And from your Quota source:
                "It's the other way around. Heat is a type of light.

Heat, or how warm something is, is just energy. And this energy can be radiated using photons. If the wavelength of those photons is in approximately 350 - 800 nm scale, we can see it. If it's longer, than it becomes infrared, something we don't see.

But energy doesn't need to be radiated perse. It can be perceived as the kinetic energy of the atoms or molecules, making something 'hot'. That energy is conducted to surrounding molecules, which gives us conduction.

Radiation, conduction and convection form the three ways energy can be transferred."

You're embarrassing yourself, mate.
                Dude, you can't even understand the things you are reading. Again bold it for you. Let's review!

Heat is the transfer of energy which makes it a process, an in between point of A and B. Many things can generate heat and it doesn't need to involve the EM spectrum. You got kinetic, mechanical, chemical, nuclear and so on. All these things produce energy and heat. However you wouldn't say that the two chemicals you have prior to mixing is a source of heat or energy.

Light (visible light) is one type of energy that can be absorbed or reflected. When it is absorbed it ~may~ heat something up but 99.9% of the time it doesn't because if light was heating something then it would continuously build up in heat until it gets white hot. This is exactly what those high powered lasers do. They infuse so much continuous energy into something that it builds up momentum, and moves faster and faster and spews out all that excessive energy in a process called "heat".

HOWEVER... the laser is not "hot". You could put your hand an inch away from a laser that cuts steel and not feel a rise of temperature, because the laser is a focused beam of energy, not a beam of heat.

Comment

I would still like you folks to address Laser Cooling:

If you all keep insisting light is heat, then you must explain this one too.

Comment

I would still like you folks to address Laser Cooling:

If you all keep insisting light is heat, then you must explain this one too.
                    I already did?

They manipulate the process that generates heat by using two lasers at low frequencies with the purpose of causing the object to radiate energy away at a higher rate than it would otherwise. The basic premise is that the object radiates (release heat) in such a way that it cools off rapidly. It's fascinating, but it doesn't prove anything about what you're claiming. There's still simply a fundamental misunderstanding on your behalf here. You don't really seem to understand how heat is generated and why, which is really the only reason I can see for why you can't grasp what we're explaining to you.

-edit-

Apparently, I've mixed up how laser cooling works with something else. Forgive me, it's been a few semesters since I was in that class. After reviewing the material and watching the video you showed, I can see I was wrong in regards to that. But the non-crossed out sections of my post still apply. Laser cooling manipulates the process by which particles are normally heated by using multiple lasers to instead slow them down.

That doesn't inherently mean that the lasers they're using do not generate heat like you're trying to claim. They would if the momentum they imparted wasn't directly opposite of the momentum of the particle it was hitting.

Again, I refer you to how heat is generated. It happens simply when a particle is excited and moves more rapidly. Light will always cause that reaction under normal circumstances. Laser cooling is simply an abnormal circumstance.
                    Last edited by Cid; April 15th, 2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

a lot of 2000 IQ posts ITT
                      Tab for a cause: http://tab.gladly.io/?r=11370382

Comment

MOD ABUSE

TOTAL DONT RECALL EVER POSTING ITT
                        Last edited by Oneiros; April 16th, 2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post
                          MOD ABUSE

TOTAL DONT RECALL EVER POSTING ITT
                          You just don't remember that you wanted to sound smrt for once.

Comment

Jesus this thread gave me a tumor

Comment

Wade is a weirdo

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

You just don't remember that you wanted to sound smrt for once.
                                But, as T5's apex psood, I always try sounding smart. Also, it's *smart. LOL, get wrecked, bitch, hahahaha.

Comment

Seeing people reply to or "debate" Wade is pretty awful.

The guy literally has autism, his voice actually sounds like Sloth from the Goonies. I mean it's not even punching down, it's kind of like taking KoS seriously.

Comment

Boiling water does not emit light. A warm car engine does not emit light, Your water heater does not emit light.
                                    Tab for a cause: http://tab.gladly.io/?r=11370382

Comment

Boiling water does not emit light. A warm car engine does not emit light, Your water heater does not emit light.
                                      brain.png

Originally posted by Wade;n484984
                                      As Bill Cosby once said, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

Comment

Working...
                                      X