X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA tests can predict intelligence, scientists show for first time

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...irst-time/amp/

-edit-

Article from Edinburgh: https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2018/hundr...ence-in-global

This was bound to happen eventually, but still pretty interesting nonetheless.
    Last edited by Helly; March 12th, 2018, 09:02 PM.
    Originally posted by #83.6666666667

I need to anonymously suck Helly's dick. I can't, how could I praise the greatest individual in the universe while maintaining my perfect reputation in this fine website?
    "Intelligence, also known as general cognitive function or simply g, describes the shared variance that exists between diverse measures of cognitive ability."

So when they reference intelligence they mean cognitive function. What this means, I do not know.

Updated the OP to include the Edinburgh article, as well.

I need to anonymously suck Helly's dick. I can't, how could I praise the greatest individual in the universe while maintaining my perfect reputation in this fine website?
    "Intelligence, also known as general cognitive function or simply g, describes the shared variance that exists between diverse measures of cognitive ability."

So when they reference intelligence they mean cognitive function. What this means, I do not know.

Comment

are u a race realist

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n451511
      there's a quality to being a giant hunk of muscle mass, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Demon View Post
        are u a race realist
        That depends on how you're defining that term.

Comment

Good to have confirmation, I guess.
          Originally posted by Wade
          It isn't date rape if God commands it, and he already commanded it.

I'm saying we actually don't know for certain that 1kg is 1kg.

Comment

eugenics is the way
            Originally posted by Oneiros
            In that case, I’m the biggest faggot on the block.

Comment

Man, I wish people started treating the idea of "intelligence" with more nuance. It's an umbrella term: there are numerous types of "intelligence", and not in a manner that add up to some sort of checklist where, if a person has most, you can call them "intelligent".

For example, social intelligence: the capacity to adequately navigate various kinds of social situations. Or analytical intelligence: the ability to examine something in an objective and reflexive manner. Or "logical" intelligence: the kind that advanced kinds of maths and science requires.

Comment

Doesn't really say what kind of intelligence they focus on and/or found. Interesting though.

Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
                I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post
                  eugenics is the way
                  truth

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                  Doesn't really say what kind of intelligence they focus on and/or found. Interesting though.
                  The same kind of intelligence you think of when you hear a statement like "x person is highly intelligent".

Comment

Watch out for stray trucks, I sent my hitman to run you over like a pancake.

I'm only telling you because, I don't want you to die.

Comment

Sawls

share ur thoughts pls

Comment

Originally posted by Eren View Post
                        Sawls

share ur thoughts pls
                        Lets see where it goes

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

truth

The same kind of intelligence you think of when you hear a statement like "x person is highly intelligent".
                          A musical genius does not have the same kind of intelligence or even brain as someone who is a mathematical genius. There are different kinds of intelligences out there.

Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
                          I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

Comment

Cool

Comment

A musical genius does not have the same kind of intelligence or even brain as someone who is a mathematical genius. There are different kinds of intelligences out there.
                              They probably put all kinds of intelligence under the same tent.
                              It isn't date rape if God commands it, and he already commanded it.

I'm saying we actually don't know for certain that 1kg is 1kg.

Comment

Can we agree that there is a multitude of ways to be intelligent, but only one way to be stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                                  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...irst-time/amp/

-edit-

Article from Edinburgh: https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2018/hundr...ence-in-global

This was bound to happen eventually, but still pretty interesting nonetheless.
                                  Looks interesting I will look into it m8y.

Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
                                  Can we agree that there is a multitude of ways to be intelligent, but only one way to be stupid?
                                  I really want to agree with you. But I know a guy irl who can be stupid in multiple different ways simultaneously.

It can be quite vexing at times.

MEMES ARE DREAMS IN YOUR GENES

Comment

We're not talking about geniuses

I'm going to try one more time

When you hear the statement "x person is highly intelligent" without any accompanying qualifiers like "musically" or "socially", what do you think they are usually talking about? Do you not get the impression that x person might perform well in school or might be a fast learner? If you can't give me a straight answer, then I'm afraid you'll have to cure your confusion alone because no one else is lost.

Comment

First of all, intelligence is not a concrete definition which people all agree upon. So the question posed by users as to what type of intelligence was used is legitimate.

Second of all, if Helly would have read the original paper he would have provided a quote.

Third, what the researchers mean by intelligence: "Intelligence, also known as general cognitive function or simply g, describes the shared variance that exists between diverse measures of cognitive ability."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-017-0001-5

Fourth, there was a ~7% predictability accuracy on 1/3 of independent samples.

"Third, we used our meta-analytic GWAS data to predict almost 7% of the variation in intelligence in one of three independent samples. The range of similar estimates across the three independent samples was 3.6 to 6.8%. Previous estimates of prediction have been ∼5% at most; [16] our results thus indicate that prediction accuracy can be improved by drawing on existing data sets of proxy phenotypes for intelligence, as we did here. Additionally, polygenic profile scores derived using the MTAG method can be used to make meaningful predictions regarding an individual level of intelligence."

Fifth, that isn't even the main or most interesting part of the study.

Sixth, I question heavily the methods that they used to come to their conclusions.

Seventh, what are you really getting at with this paper, Helly?
                                      "“The distinction we’ve always made is there’s a difference between conducting espionage in order to protect national security and conduct military operations, and the theft of intellectual property for the benefit of companies inside your country,” said Michael Daniel, the White House cybersecurity coordinator under Obama."

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

And there it is

Comment

Working...
                                        X