Pigeons Can Discriminate Both Space and Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigeons Can Discriminate Both Space and Time

'The finding adds to growing recognition in the scientific community that lower-order animal species -- such as birds, reptiles, and fish -- are capable of high-level, abstract decision-making.'

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1204144805.htm

Yay, another species we can feel threatened by and eventually drive to extinction because of our fear of being taken over

Comment

I think it's cool there's different realities to see from, from this, down to echo location.

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post
        Yay, another species we can feel threatened by and eventually drive to extinction because of our fear of being taken over
        How nonsensical...

Comment

Originally posted by RecycledCosmicEnergy View Post

How nonsensical...
          It's not, you know how humans are

Comment

Want outside to kill a pigeon right after, I saw this thread.

Comment

The article doesn't go into enough detail of what the experiment entailed, all it talked about was lines that these pigeons seemed to recognize, or something, when they were longer and displayed for longer amounts of time.

That, in itself, doesn't equate to them perceiving space and time on a complex level of thought.

I'd have to see the full report of the experiment, and need to care enough to wade through the scientific jargon to make heads or tails of it.

Comment

Don't worry, Ori.
                If entire flocks of wild Turkey can live in happiness in San Francisco, then I can calmly assure you that Pigeons- of all things, won't become extinct any time soon. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post

Don't worry, Ori.
                  If entire flocks of wild Turkey can live in happiness in San Francisco, then I can calmly assure you that Pigeons- of all things, won't become extinct any time soon. ^_^
                  Wild turkeys don't have super brains like pigeons tho so they aren't being genocided

Comment

Wild turkeys don't have super brains like pigeons tho so they aren't being genocided
                    I think that you're forgetting the fact that Turkey is quite a valued item for one's Meal, so- as my point stands, if the most valuable Meal for the Day hasn't gone extinct over at San Francisco, then I'm certain that intelligent pigeons will be perfectly safe. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post

I think that you're forgetting the fact that Turkey is quite a valued item for one's Meal, so- as my point stands, if the most valuable Meal for the Day hasn't gone extinct over at San Francisco, then I'm certain that intelligent pigeons will be perfectly safe. ^_^
                      They aren't extinct because they're breeded lol. There's plenty of them because we allow them to reproduce and only selectively kill some to keep them populated

In other words turkeys are useful, and we're not threatened by them
                      Last edited by Chara; December 6th, 2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Soon they'll be able to discriminate race and culture.
                        Never forgetti

Originally posted by Kaijin_Style
                        Also do me a favor and don't kill yourself. I like to watch my enemies suffer an agonizing death but ya know since you are in mexico, seeing you bitch and whine about your feelings is the next best thing. Quiet cathartic really.

Comment

The squirrels are already plotting our downfall.

Comment

No I don't, I only know about a handful of them; but I imagine a majority of them won't even be aware of this.

Comment

Originally posted by RecycledCosmicEnergy View Post

No I don't, I only know about a handful of them; but I imagine a majority of them won't even be aware of this.
                              Well. Humans kind of descended from pretty crazy stuff. Rapey, paranoid, vulnerable and brutish all in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Redx View Post
                                The squirrels are already plotting our downfall.
                                I bet they're in cahoots with the pigeons too

Comment

How did you get approved for military service?

Comment

Originally posted by Snap View Post

How did you get approved for military service?
                                    Fake it till I make it

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory View Post
                                      The article doesn't go into enough detail of what the experiment entailed, all it talked about was lines that these pigeons seemed to recognize, or something, when they were longer and displayed for longer amounts of time.

That, in itself, doesn't equate to them perceiving space and time on a complex level of thought.

I'd have to see the full report of the experiment, and need to care enough to wade through the scientific jargon to make heads or tails of it.
                                      The lines were the experiment.

'They put pigeons through a series of tasks called the “common magnitude” test. Put simply, the birds were shown on a computer screen a horizontal line either 6 cm or 24 cm long for either 2 seconds or 8 seconds. If they correctly reported (by pecking one of four visual symbols) the length or the duration of the line, they received food.

The test then became more nuanced. The researchers introduced additional line lengths, thus adding greater variability in judging whether a line was short or long; they also presented the line to the pigeons for either a shorter or longer duration.

“The task now forces pigeons to process time and space simultaneously because they cannot know on which dimension they’re going to be tested,” Wasserman says.'

It showed that pigeons can perceive space and time similar to humans and other nonhuman primates - with a different part of the brain.

'The researchers found that the length of the line affected the pigeons’ discrimination of line duration, and the duration of the line affected the pigeons’ discrimination of line length. This interplay of space and time paralleled research done with humans and monkeys and revealed the common neural coding of these two physical dimensions. Researchers previously believed that the parietal cortex was the locus of this interplay. However, because pigeons lack an apparent parietal cortex, Wasserman’s findings suggest this isn’t always the case.'

https://now.uiowa.edu/2017/12/pigeon...space-and-time

If you become interested, the paper "Non-cortical magnitude coding of space and time by pigeons" was published here:

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/...2817%2931332-5

But you'll need an account to read the article, which I'm thinking might deter you even more from being interested. There is a summary though:

'Considerable research in cognitive science, neuroscience, and developmental science has revealed that the temporal, spatial, and numerical features of a stimulus can interact with one another [1,2] , as when larger stimuli are perceived as lasting longer than smaller stimuli. These findings have inspired the prominent hypothesis that time, space, and number are processed by a ‘common magnitude system’, which represents these dimensions via the same unit of magnitude [3,4] . According to current theorizing, the parietal cortex mediates this system [4] . To test the species generality and neuroanatomical foundations of this hypothesis, we asked whether space–time interactions can be observed in birds. Unlike mammals, birds lack a cortex [5,6] ; rather, they possess a neuron-dense pallium that is organized in clusters, in contrast to the laminar structure of the mammalian cortex [7] . Despite these striking neuroanatomical disparities, we observed reliable space–time interactions in pigeons. Our findings suggest that common magnitude systems are more widespread among animals than previously believed and need not be cortically dependent in all species.'

Comment

~Snip~
                                        You're getting worried over absolutely nothing, Ori.
                                        Take a deep breathe, and exhale.
                                        If a Super-Intelligent Pigeon decides to murder you, and established the Perfect Closed-Room Murder, then you can be assured that I'd be the Detective to bring Justice towards your death.
                                        Do you feel better now, Ori? ^_^

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                        Auto-Saved
                                        x
                                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                        Working...
                                        X