Free Speech vs Hate Speech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Speech vs Hate Speech

Where do you see the thin line separating these two things?

And would hate speech in some occasions still be appropriate?

e.g.:

becomes a reasonable argument against something already hate speech when for exampled ended with something which could be considered hate speech?

"argument argument argument, like you would know since you are a [insert stereotypical insult]"
    Last edited by RavenSupreme; January 5th, 2018, 01:30 PM.

Any speech aimed at intimidating or harassing a protected group. It really depends on who and when, for example teachers shouldnt be allowed teach little kids to deny the holocaust. But if some loser wants to express such views in private then the law cant really do much about it

Comment

Hate speech is still free speech regardless of how sexist or racist it is, you fucking faggot.

This is why women shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n451511
      there's a quality to being a giant hunk of muscle mass, tbh.

Comment

Hate speech is free speech.
        The very fucking point of free speech is that it universally covers all speech, good, bad, popular, obscure, edgy, boring, etc

Comment

• Demon
          Demon commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. We don't need any loopholes for people to justify censorship of speech.

Originally posted by Demon View Post
        Hate speech is still free speech regardless of how sexist or racist it is, you fucking faggot.

what if the exercising of the free speech without any restraints poses an immediate, but to you not necessarily known, danger to yours or your families life? would you not appreciate for some form of moderation when you yourself have not the power to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by RavenSupreme View Post

what if the exercising of the free speech without any restraints poses an immediate, but to you not necessarily known, danger to yours or your families life? would you not appreciate for some form of moderation when you yourself have not the power to do so?
          Restricting speech poses far more danger than speech without restraints could ever

Comment

Hate speech leads to the thought crime slippery slope such as questioning the politically correct narrative of today in any western country, now you are simply are called racist, in about 40 years you will just be executed on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by A New Soul View Post

Restricting speech poses far more danger than speech without restraints could ever
              What if you say something bad about someone and then they blow up your house and kill your family

Comment

thanks for your input

Comment

thanks for your input
                  Anytime

Comment

Hate speech is just counter productive. Therefore it is never appropriate. Those who use it are subhuman; incapable of rational thought and reason. To assume someone's appearance, someone's skin color is the problem (and not anything else) speaks volumes to the aggressor's perspective of the world and how abnormal it is.

Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
                    I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

Comment

What kind of speech could possibly pose a threat to my life? Oh no, someone slung a racial slur at me (probably because I slung one first, tbh), my life is in danger! Full-fledged "hate speech" is childish and emotionally driven, and thus can be shot down with a logical argument or two—or just outright ignored.

Now, if a society begins to devolve to a state where any speech that goes against conventional beliefs and values is deceptively (or just flat-out emotionally) shot down as hate speech, that's a problem—don't want to be living in a pseudo-fascist country that'll execute me for rightfully saying all women should remain in kitchens just because it hurts their feelings. If the acceptability of censorship of speech increases, due to varying opinions and emotions, abuse or misuse of the increased acceptability is possible.

Want to get censored because you criticized feminism honestly? There are people who get hit with slander and censorship just because they do. But it isn't childish and emotionally driven; they're presenting valid, logical arguments and their opposition wants them censored because emotions.

Best to cast the net across all speech then let people weed out the bad ones on their own through logical debate and discussion.
                      Last edited by Demon; January 5th, 2018, 06:36 PM.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n451511
                      there's a quality to being a giant hunk of muscle mass, tbh.

Comment

Now, if a society begins to devolve to a state where any speech that goes against conventional beliefs and values is deceptively (or just flat-out emotionally) shot down as hate speech, that's a problem—don't want to be living in a pseudo-fascist country that'll execute me for rightfully saying all women should remain in kitchens just because it hurts their feelings. If the acceptability of censorship of speech increases, due to varying opinions and emotions, abuse or misuse of the increased acceptability is possible.
                        Yes and no.

There is already laws against certain kinds of speech like slander or inciting a riot and these things do hurt people one way (financially) or another (physically). So because we already have laws against certain types of speech some say hate speech should join the basket of things not protected by the law. This doesn't mean cops will pop out of nowhere and arrest you for flinging a slur. Instead it'll remove the protection Hate speech has and let people sue for any damages it may have caused.

You may wonder what damages a few slurs can do but the same can be said about slanderous remarks. A person like Spencer with his following could incite people to attack a place because of the hateful things he said about said place and its people of color. He could spur on large protests and cause fights in the street. When you have a following of people, you have power and that is where these speech laws step in. To protect the everyday person like us who do not have a following that'll fight for us.

Or so I hope that is the idea behind them...

Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
                        I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

Comment

Speech that disagrees with the government should be censored
                          Originally posted by Oneiros
                          In that case, I’m the biggest faggot on the block.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post
                            Speech that disagrees with the government should be censored
                            What about a government that disagrees with speech?

Comment

Originally posted by Issa View Post

What about a government that disagrees with speech?
                              Should be censored
                              Originally posted by Oneiros
                              In that case, I’m the biggest faggot on the block.

Comment

What kind of speech could possibly pose a threat to my life? Oh no, someone slung a racial slur at me (probably because I slung one first, tbh), my life is in danger! Full-fledged "hate speech" is childish and emotionally driven, and thus can be shot down with a logical argument or two—or just outright ignored.

Want to get censored because you criticized feminism honestly? There are people who get hit with slander and censorship just because they do. But it isn't childish and emotionally driven; they're presenting valid, logical arguments and their opposition wants them censored because emotions.

Best to cast the net across all speech then let people weed out the bad ones on their own through logical debate and discussion.
                                what about speech which influences others to do people harm/commit crimes?

imagine you are speaking/posting in or to a group which you know is hostile towards specific things (e.g. races, religions. ways of life etc.) and you claim that someone from the group of people they are hostile against has for example done something. you then post or link supposed evidence, statistics, articles etc. to proof that claim. to you this for example is merely your expression of free speech and you are also not really calling someone to action when you for example state things of the sort of "i would not shed a tear if someone now visits him at home and teaches him a lession, after all he has done this and that".

someone who shares that viewpoint of you however might now have been influenced to actually visit this person, since he received a positive reinforcement. in the end a crime is commited by him.

technically all you have done is exerting your right of free speech and you also have not specifically asked someone to commit a crime - which i take, is something you also would not consider as free speach, right? - but the result is just the same.

would you agree that there exists the possibility that words can spawn violence?

also, obviously the "you" in this text referes to a hypotethical person and is merely used for convenience. it is not meant to imply you indirectly do such things.

Comment

Hate speech is free speech.
                                  The very fucking point of free speech is that it universally covers all speech, good, bad, popular, obscure, edgy, boring, etc
                                  Literally no country on earth has universally protected speech. Hence way I cant make threats,talk people into committing suicide,lie to the government,leak classified documents, defame businesses or yell fire in crowded theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by -Person- View Post
                                    Literally no country on earth has universally protected speech. Hence way I cant make threats,talk people into committing suicide,lie to the government,leak classified documents, defame businesses or yell fire in crowded theatre.
                                    This is why you're a brainlet, Person.
                                    Free Speech is not about literally being able to say whatever you want, it's about being able to express any opinions, ideas and values that you want.
                                    None of what you listed falls under that.
                                    Though you absolutely can defame businesses as long as it's not a lie.
                                    You can't say "This shop owner shit in my food, 0/5 stars!" but you can say "This food tasted like absolute fucking dogshit and the service was awful, 0/5"

Comment

anything goes, we can't allow deaf people any further advantages

Comment

Working...
                                      X