Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than 63,000 people left Canada to get medical care

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/07...fr_a_23019751/

From the looks of it, either you get universal health care at not-quite-as-good levels or you get private, good, but really expensive health care.

Is there no way to get an ideal health care system...?

Comment

Okay, at least this non-story isn't as harmful as incels like you

Comment

Oh shit! Trump!

You are building the wall on the wrong border!

Comment

Do you know why that happens, though?

I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with their single-payer healthcare system.

Comment

The wait times are definitely a problem but theyre small price to pay for garunteed access to health and affordable drugs.

especially when you consider that nearly a million americans are leaving the US for healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

Is there no way to get an ideal health care system...?
              Not until we have robot doctors
              and then not until we have infinite medicines and such

Comment

Originally posted by -Person- View Post
                The wait times are definitely a problem but theyre small price to pay for garunteed access to health and affordable drugs.

especially when you consider that nearly a million americans are leaving the US for healthcare.
                Don't be stupid clearly no healthcare and not being able to afford medication is better then long wait times. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the average American would take a two month wait over literally never.
                "Working-class poor better keep your alarm set, streets too loud to ever hear freedom ring, say evacuate your sleep, it's dangerous to dream."

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

Don't be stupid clearly no healthcare and not being able to afford medication is better then long wait times. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the average American would take a two month wait over literally never.
                  Yeah thats the sad part, the amount of canadians travelling abroad for healthcare is on par with the amount of americans die for not having coverage.

Comment

In Canada, a lot of the problem stems from this.

The population density in Canada makes it so that around 80% to 90% of the population of the country is constrained to the big cities and immediately surrounding areas because of the harsh (almost Siberian) conditions of half the country. That means there's a ton of people accessing relatively few medical facilities. If the Canadian population were as widespread as the US population and if there were more hospitals thanks to the population being more spread out, then greater availability of usable medical facilities would lower wait times for medical care.

Wait times wouldn't be an issue in the United States, except maybe in places like New York and LA where population density is already very restrictive on medical care. (That just means people would have to travel outside of their city for care sometimes)

Comment

LOL Saskatoon

Comment

I wonder if it is easy to open new clinics or hospitals in Canada. Or do people need to go through a lot of red tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                          Oh shit! Trump!

You are building the wall on the wrong border!
                          I'm no longer pro net neutrality after reading this comment.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n451511
                          there's a quality to being a giant hunk of muscle mass, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                            I wonder if it is easy to open new clinics or hospitals in Canada. Or do people need to go through a lot of red tape.
                            No idea, i live a big city so there are clinics and hospitals everywhere around me, but Id imagine that its a lot tougher than in the US since we're more strict

Comment

No idea, i live a big city so there are clinics and hospitals everywhere around me, but Id imagine that its a lot tougher than in the US since we're more strict
                              The US has privately owned hospitals. I'm not sure if that's a thing in Canada or not. But essentially, you can open a medical clinic so long as you've got a proper PH.D to practice medicine, and a hospital so long as you file with the state. It's basically all a matter of money here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

The US has privately owned hospitals. I'm not sure if that's a thing in Canada or not. But essentially, you can open a medical clinic so long as you've got a proper PH.D to practice medicine, and a hospital so long as you file with the state. It's basically all a matter of money here.
                                Which is a big reason for the opioid epidemic, there are a lot of those places that are more or less legalized drug dens. All you need is some startup cash and a greedy doctor willing to write scripts for bullshit.
                                "Working-class poor better keep your alarm set, streets too loud to ever hear freedom ring, say evacuate your sleep, it's dangerous to dream."

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

Which is a big reason for the opioid epidemic, there are a lot of those places that are more or less legalized drug dens. All you need is some startup cash and a greedy doctor willing to write scripts for bullshit.
                                  More or less, yeah. There's very little regulation for private practices.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Yup its just private insurance that isnt really a thing here. It sounds pretty similar to what we do except the government sets standards and negotiates prices, as long as private practices hold up their side of the deal, they get paid.

The insurance companies seem to be them main thing fucking you guys ovee imo.

Comment

Yup its just private insurance that isnt really a thing here. It sounds pretty similar to what we do except the government sets standards and negotiates prices, as long as private practices hold up their side of the deal, they get paid.

The insurance companies seem to be them main thing fucking you guys ovee imo.
                                      There's no standard to pricing, either. That allows care providers to raise the prices to exuberant amounts. I actually had access to patient billing files a few years ago because we charged a patient's account for telemetry monitoring. Just the telemetry was $320 per day. Hospitals even charge for "hospitality services" like soap, towels, and shampoo. Extra towels cost $10 and a small bottle of shampoo was $20.

And all of this is tacked on to the excessive price of medical procedures (An open heart surgery for a bypass clocked in at about $150,000 for example) and even the hospital rooms themselves, which could run from $1250 per night for a normal room on a medical floor to $13,000 per night for an ICU bed. I've seen patients with medical bills racking up into the millions after having been in the hospital for a couple weeks.

It's ridiculous.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                      Auto-Saved
                                      x
                                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                      Working...
                                      X