Are humans inherently good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are humans inherently good?

Humans are subject to amoral animalistic tendencies, which if not evil, certainly aren't good. Thoughts to elaborate on this idea?

Most people are good unless you give them a reason not to be. Most people are born wanting to hurt others, theyre either taught to from those in their community or from situations where they can benifit from screwing someone else over.

Most of our "animalistic tendancies" are meant from self preservation and only become evil when they harm others who arent actually a threat to you. At least thats my opinion.

Comment

A lot of ppl act good but you never know who is gonna be secretly fucked up

Comment

No.

Still, for what it's worth, most people try to be good. That doesn't mean they always (or even often) succeed, however. The "reptile brain" is just too stronk.

Me, I've come to terms with being the scum of the earth. It's liberating, if nothing else.
        Last edited by Oneiros; December 7th, 2017, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Nobody born inherently good or evil, someone way be more predispose to be more evil/good than normal, but nothing else.

You cannot trully apply morality to an entire species, it can only be apply to individuals and groups, and even that evil and good are far from be absolute concepts.

Comment

Humans are born a blank slate, though empathy is natural (in most humans), so one can say that most humans have the capacity to be "good".

There's a combination of abuses enacted upon a person and having needs not being met, which turns them "evil". From a universal perspective however, there is no good, bad or right and wrong.
            Last edited by King Solomon; December 7th, 2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Define what is bad. A lot of what we consider crimes are normal everyday occurrences in nature. We are in fact the weirdos on this planet.

Comment

In my opinion with Buddhist philosophy, all life contains goodness, badness, and neutralness.
                It depends on how you train yourself to be, if you want to determine which you are.
                Your actions will speak for themselves.

Comment

Humans are only inherently evil or inherently good if your standards of goodness are either ridiculously high or ridiculously low (see: Romans 3:23). If we're setting up a realistic standard then all of humanity would be some shade of gray.
                  Never forgetti

Originally posted by Kaijin_Style
                  Also do me a favor and don't kill yourself. I like to watch my enemies suffer an agonizing death but ya know since you are in mexico, seeing you bitch and whine about your feelings is the next best thing. Quiet cathartic really.

Comment

Originally posted by RecycledCosmicEnergy View Post
                    In my opinion with Buddhist philosophy, all life contains goodness, badness, and neutralness.
                    It depends on how you train yourself to be, if you want to determine which you are.
                    Your actions will speak for themselves.
                    I love you lol..

The Tragic vision is pretty tempting though.
                    -
                    There's the 'brutish and short' narrative, based on phantom ancestor behavior that goes against humans in nature being peaceful a.k.a the Nobel savage(I think it's debatable)

There's the 'our brains aren't meant for the benefit of the species' which is another thing that individually puts us on different levels of seeing things.

Babies supposedly showing racial bias depending on exposure(if your clan is all you know, differences might be alien as you grow older), babies stressing out the mother's reproductive success by crying so genetically it gets more attention, and the baby needing to look cute so infanticide doesn't happen as much.

Positive emotions in war, where both sides think they can win.

Rape where it becomes such a meme it's in sexual fantasies and forces out human feminism and other strategies in nature to avoid the inevitable rape issue.

Comment

You are inherently retarded.

Comment

Good doesn't exist. Thus it's impossible for humans to "inherently" be any such thing.

Humans are inherently Human. Thats the end of it.

Comment

Evil-ass motherfuckers.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n451511
                          there's a quality to being a giant hunk of muscle mass, tbh.

Comment

People are, for the most part, just stupid and scared, and insecure, weak too. Morality has little to do with their actions or even ideology Too many weak dads raising weak kids, all of them with thin arms or sweathog bags of jelly. Smh

Comment

Human beings are inherently wonderfully kind, benevolent creatures- I'm absolutely certain of such a fact!
                              Originally posted by Oneiros View Post
                              No.

Me, I've come to terms with being the scum of the earth. It's liberating, if nothing else.
                              You mustn't give up so easily, Morph.
                              Where's your Fight?
                              Where's your Will to be Unconquerable and Supreme?
                              How can you give up so easily- without even struggling to approach a sensible answer?
                              You can do much better than that, my friend!
                              I'm absolutely certain that I push you towards the right direction for the next 10,673,385,585 steps, you'll surely be on your way towards the right answer.
                              No doubts about it! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post
                                Define what is bad. A lot of what we consider crimes are normal everyday occurrences in nature. We are in fact the weirdos on this planet.
                                All in the name of being comfortable.

Comment

• 40 acres
                                  40 acres commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  exactly

This is one of those philosophical threads, so it's important to think about the concepts of good and evil. Humans simply are born to act in their best interests for survival, everything else comes from social conditioning.

When a lion kills a pack of lion cubs to take over a pride is it "evil"? It does this for a few reasons, so it doesn't have to take care of and worry about feeding another lion's cubs, and also to bring more cubs of their own into the world. The lion doesn't consider if his acts are good or evil.

So basically the lion does this for his own convenience, there's many examples of shitty things animals do in the wild.

If a man kills a child to avoid something like say child support, out of his own convenience then is it evil? Yeah, we as a society came together and said filicide is wrong, so we don't go around committing murders for our own convenience. We need morals to co-exist peacefully, animals don't have giant cities and human ingenuity like we do. I don't really want to get into how evolution gave us "conscience" because most of this stuff is beyond me and I haven't taken a Philosophy course in years now.

Anyways I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying, good and evil are something we made up to co exist. Are humans inherently good? I think it's just a wrong question to ask in the first place, but I know PHI majors will go down my throat for that kinda thing since they love debating over the tiny stuff.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                Working...
                                X