Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warhammer 40K seems pretty interesting; good starting points...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warhammer 40K seems pretty interesting; good starting points...?

Just curious, because the lore actually looks pretty cool and I want to immerse myself more into that side of Warhammer, to be honest. I'm not really interested in the board game aspect, but movies, games, novels, short stories, etc (which 40K seems to have a bunch of) I'm all willing to jump into.

I've already looked up a bit of the lore and stuff on Youtube, but my incursions are not particularly extensive.

Anyone else interested in it...? I think Shob is, at least.
    Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 28th, 2018, 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by #83.6666666667
    2/3 of the population was Protestants, 1/3 was Catholic ... Therefore, the majority was Protestant and most were Catholic ...

Fucking finally. What finally convinced you to check it out???

For a good starting point into the (massive body of lore)--I'd recommend starting off with Arch Warhammer's youtube channel. He makes the best lore videos.

I'd start with his general overview videos on the 7 major factions: The Imperium, Chaos & The Warp, The Eldar, The Orks, the Necrons, the Tyranids, and the Tau.

And then dive into an overview of the events of the Horus Hersey.

That'll start you off with a pretty broad understanding of the backstory and general state of the verse.

Then if there's anything in particular in those topics that peak your interest, I can point you in the direction of more specific stuff.
    Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; June 28th, 2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
      Fucking finally. What finally convinced you to check it out???
      I was checking out "The Templin Institute" which covers fictional lore. It's actually really good. It covers the lore in sort of a way that you'd find actual history being covered. Here's the channel.

The Warhammer 40K lore was my favorite of all the bunches (because of my interest in military/war stuff) and I wished it had covered more than just one faction and a few specific aspects in the other videos.

For a good starting point into the (massive body of lore)--I'd recommend starting off with Arch Warhammer's youtube channel. He makes the best lore videos.

I'd start with his general overview videos on the 7 major factions: The Imperium, Chaos & The Warp, The Eldar, The Orks, the Necrons, the Tyranids, and the Tau.

And his Horus Hersey lore breakdown videos.

That'll start you off with a pretty broad understanding of the backstory and general state of the verse.

Then if there's anything in particular in those topics that peak your interest, I can point you in the direction of more specific stuff.
      Alright, I'll go with that stuff.

From what you've looked into, what's your favorite faction...?
      Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 28th, 2018, 11:17 PM.

2/3 of the population was Protestants, 1/3 was Catholic ... Therefore, the majority was Protestant and most were Catholic ...

Comment

Horus Hersey Lore Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F3y2bJzDJQ

^^^

You can check this one out anytime after watching the videos on The Imperium and Chaos--knowledge of the other 5 factions isn't necessary for this one.

This will bring you up to speed on the most important period and events in the lore.

Comment

Horus Hersey Lore Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F3y2bJzDJQ

^^^

You can check this one out anytime after watching the videos on The Imperium and Chaos--knowledge of the other 5 factions isn't necessary for this one.

This will bring you up to speed on the most important period and events in the lore.
          Thanks. I'll make sure to check them out.

Comment

• Post-Crisis Shob
            Post-Crisis Shob commented
            Editing a comment
            changed the first link, to link to correct video (Imperium Lore Video). See my original post.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
          From what you've looked into, what's your favorite faction...?
          Chaos, and some of the sub-factions of the Imperium (i.e. the Space Marine Chapters)

You'll understand why when you watch that Horus Heresy Video (watch the one I linked to on Lutin's Channel; its more concise and comprehensive than arch warhammer's)

The lore behind them is--fucking phenomenal.

Comment

Its probably gonna take you a few days to get through all of them.

Let me know how you're doing with them and your first impressions as you get through them.

Really curious to see what you make of that Horus Heresy lore. Its--oh boy--its alot to digest.

Comment

• RussianCoffeeAddict
              Editing a comment
              Right, I'll make sure to get to you on that.

Damn, Shob's really excited for this thread to happen.
            Originally posted by Wade
            It isn't date rape if God commands it, and he already commanded it.

I'm saying we actually don't know for certain that 1kg is 1kg.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
              If ever was there a game that was made of 100% pure mansauce, Warhammer would be that game. Warhammer 40k can make women grow chest hair.

…Where tactical nukes are used as anti-personnel landmines.

..Where FTL spaceflight involves jumping into hell, navigating via a beacon lit by human souls, and jumping out before the daemons catch you.

…Where the genocidal, xenocidal, fascist, ultraconservative zealots with a morbid fear of new technology and an unhealthy fondness for burning things are the GOOD guys. And psychotic living weapons with a morbid fear of peace and an unhealthy fondness for eviscerating humans are the comic relief.

… Where there's a god of hope, and the god of freaking hope is EVIL.

Basically, life sucks, there is only war, and you're probably going to be eaten by Tyranids. Have fun

Warhammer fantasy is Lord of the Rings on a cocktail of steroids, bath salts, PCP. Warhammer 40k is Lord of Rings, Star Wars and Mad Max in a blender. Set on fire. And catapulted into space, screaming WAAAGH! and waving a chainsaw.
              I think it's safe to say that he likes Warhammer. Oh, and he's basically right. I'm currently on the second vid, and only 2 minutes annnnnddd (creepy thing in spoiler)...

...40K is so gloriously over the top that the (basically) space Nazis are legit the good guys of the show. I think I can definitely get into this.
              Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; June 29th, 2018, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I've always been interested in Warhammer 40k, but it's always been incredibly daunting to actually start looking into it.

Guess I should have just asked Shob.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
                  I've always been interested in Warhammer 40k, but it's always been incredibly daunting to actually start looking into it.

Guess I should have just asked Shob.
                  Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Been wishing we had more 40k fans on this site for a while now.

Hell--I might even get back into vs. if people start using the verse intelligently. (I wouldn't even object to the occasional "Emperor of Mankind vs. Kaguya and Ywach" stomp. Haven't smacked around some weebo trash in a good while.)

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

I think it's safe to say that he likes Warhammer. Oh, and he's basically right. I'm currently on the second vid, and only 2 minutes annnnnddd (creepy thing in spoiler)...

...40K is so gloriously over the top that the (basically) space Nazis are legit the good guys of the show. I think I can definitely get into this.
                  The Tau are probably the closest thing to "good guys" in 40k. (they actually make good-faith efforts to assimilate other races into their empire and provide them with a respectable standard of living)

Annnndddddd they're still an alien race of space-Communists that use unknown methods of mind control to wipe out all traces of individuality from their population, and enforce their collectivist ethics in the name of "The Greater Good."

...40k man...
                  Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; June 29th, 2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I might even get back into vs.
                    Nevermind. I regret saying anything.

Comment

Nevermind. I regret saying anything.
                      You never feel nostalgic for the glory days??? You making the case for Cloud and Sephiroth winning match-ups that no one thinks they can win. Kinasin shooting back with some obscure comic scans.

IIRC, I think the first thread where I ever spoke to you all the way back in 2011 was Josh Windstar's 5-v-5 team vs. tournament back on old MvC. (I was going to go against you and your Sephiroth squad in Round #2 if I won my Round #1 match against--Raizen or Raiden Blackthorn I think it was??? Brought Nicol Bolas to the party and no one had ever heard of him before or took him seriously--didn't know I was in a thread full of yugioh fanboys with a dismissive attitude towards MTG--wound up losing by popular vote to a random anime squad that Bolas on his own probably could have solo'd because weebo trash)

You were like one of the only posters who actually looked at the feats I posted, considered powersets over character popularity, and voted to give me the win. Even though you wanted me to lose because you were comfortable Sephy could solo the anime squad in Round #2--you weren't confident he could beat my team.

And I got you to flat-out admit before the thread ended that in a 1-v-1 match-up--Sephiroth vs. Nicol Bolas--Sephiroth would get shit wrecked.

We never would have met if it wasn't for vs.
                      Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; June 29th, 2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Aww shucks... That does bring back some nostalgia. I vaguely remember that tournament. I don't remember admitting Sephy would get wrecked though. He's the most powerful fictional character every created, after all.

But alas, I enjoyed RPing much more than I did VS. And you've bore witness firsthand to how well that went.

Comment

I enjoyed RPing much more than I did VS. And you've bore witness firsthand to how well that went.
                          Prematurely aborted.

But while it lasted--glorious

Comment

Prematurely aborted.

But while it lasted--glorious
                            Probably the best RP I've been in.

Remember the revival that lasted for two posts?
                            It isn't date rape if God commands it, and he already commanded it.

I'm saying we actually don't know for certain that 1kg is 1kg.

Comment

Guilliman is the only good guy

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
                              Guilliman is the only good guy

Comment

Idk much about the lore tbh, except a very general overview. I would like to hear more about the Tyranids tho, they sound fascinatingly terrifying and supposedly the Imperium hasn't seen anything near their full-strength yet.

I know you said you weren't interested in much besides lore and books etc, but I wanna recommend you play Dawn Of War. Dark Crusade is supposed to be the GOAT, but Soulstorm has more races and is supposedly better balanced. No Tyranids in either, sadly :< Not unless you download additional mods, anyway.

I play very few games at all nowadays, but when I do I play Soulstorm.

I'd recommend starting off with Arch Warhammer's youtube channel.
                                Huh....kinda suprised you watch him tbh lol, isn't he sort of an "anti-feminism" youtuber?

Comment

Working...
                                X