• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Issa View Post
    What is this?
    Mutual yearning.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post

I'll make sure to bookmark this for future use.
      Even a broken clock is right twice in a day. So, yeah, go for it. Milk it while you still can.

Comment

Doctor taking pride in being complimented by Oneiros reminds of that time where the latter admitted that I made him genuinely laugh with my analysis of the brilliant symbolism in Dragon Ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Phobetor View Post
          Mutual yearning.
          Oh...I didn't know Tenryuunaito got down like that.

Comment

Originally posted by A New Soul View Post

I mean they the main characters
            Did anyone expect it to be anything else?
            Are you mocking me?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post

I mean, I don't see why you think one has to necessarily be better than the other. They're different types of storyteling. It's like saying a dynamic character is always better than a static character. They serve different purposes.

Also, "organic" storytelling/form/writing doesn't mean what you think it means. Loosely, it's basically writing the story as you go along, with little regard for rules and planning (something that actually fits Dragon Ball as a whole quite nicely). The term you're looking for is progressive plot, which follows the traditional pyramidal dramatic plot structure. All manga and anime have, by nature, episodic plots. They're divided into chapters and episodes, all of which follow the same dramatic plot structure on a smaller scale, whereas something like a movie or a novel doesn't need to be divided into individual parts or chapters (though it can be) and has the freedom to be a progressive plot. What happens most of the time, as you already know, is that manga chapters are grouped into story arcs. The cause and effect relationship of a leads to b which leads to c is how story arcs work, with no exception. The fact that some series decide to expand and make the whole story one big overarching plot doesn't mean they're necessarily better than the series with self-contained story arcs or even those which are truly episodic and have a different narrative per chapter. All it means is that they're more ambitious, but ambition can result in failure if it's not maintained or cultivated with passion (see: Bleach, which is filled with aborted and forgotten plot points and arcs *cough* Soul King *cough*, especially towards the end).

Episodic plots are just a different way of doing things, they're usually much more character-focused instead of wanting to tell a grand story of huge scope. I'm sure you won't try to argue whether it's better for a plot to be story-focused or character-focused since they serve different purposes.

This is actually quite a fairly recent distinction, as my literature dictionary from 1957 doesn't distinguish between the types of plot structure and I had to do some digging myself, and I'm not well-versed in the subject either, so feel free to do some research yourself and prove me wrong when it comes to the use of terminology.

And please stop taking Zeon's pseudointellectual rants seriously. His misuse of literary terms every time he speaks is kind of grating. He's fine if you just want to listen to some dude's opinions on the recent episode, but don't treat him as an intellectual authority on anything like he wants to be treated as. I know you'll say you didn't, but he's the only person I know who uses "organic storytelling" with that kind of meaning. I'm not trying to be rude or mean or anything this time, just giving you genuine advice not to take everything he says seriously. I know he provided his own definition in the video and that he doesn't have the obligation to know these things, but still. Besides MistareFusion, I found this channel recently, which is actually pretty good as far as DB analysts go.

The Fullbringer arc was a self-contained story. It doesn't tie-in with any loose ends left by the previous arc in the same way the Hueco Mundo arc ties in with Aizen's betrayal in the SS arc nor does it tie-in with the following arc in any major way. Ichigo losing his powers was pretty conclusive, just the same way as Freeza's death by Trunks was conclusive and the events during the climax of the arc didn't lead-in to the next arc, much in the same way that Freeza's death in Super doesn't serve as a point of transition towards the Champa arc. Both the Fullbringer and RF arcs are comparable in the sense that they pick up on plot points that seemed pretty much final to base their story arc around and then they don't segue into the next arc when they finish. Only difference, really, is that the RF arc grabs a plot point from multiple arcs ago, rather than the preceding arc. If that's enough for you to distinguish between the two, then fair enough.
              I was genuinely under the impression that organic storytelling was an actual common term. I also did mix it up with progressive plots. I guess it comes down to preference whether they're better than episodic storytelling, but I leaned more towards the former because I prefer either one single story or stories that connect to each through cause and effect being told.

You may have a good point in regards to the difference between picking up on a plot point to create a story arc and a plot point directly causing another arc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenryuunaito View Post

I was genuinely under the impression that organic storytelling was an actual common term. I also did mix it up with progressive plots. I guess it comes down to preference whether they're better than episodic storytelling, but I leaned more towards the former because I prefer either one single story or stories that connect to each through cause and effect being told.

You may have a good point in regards to the difference between picking up on a plot point to create a story arc and a plot point directly causing another arc.
                So do you agree that GT is better than Super?

Comment

So do you agree that GT is better than Super?
                  No, cause GT still makes worse use of its characters than Super, is fucking boring, and its fights are lackluster and totally forgettable.

Comment

No, cause GT still makes worse use of its characters than Super, is fucking boring, and its fights are lackluster and totally forgettable.
                    Y. .you were supposed to agree with me. . .

This is why we can't be partners, man.

Comment

Y. .you were supposed to agree with me. . .

This is why we can't be partners, man.
                      We still agree that GT is crap, so I don't see the problem.

Comment

So looks like Gohan's gonna have to help Frieza against Dyspo. Frieza might not be able to beat him even with his Golden Form. My question is how is Android 17 supposed to face off against Toppo all by himself? Yes he has infinite stamina/energy and can keep using his max power as much as he wants, but Toppo's gonna keep knocking his ass down and proceed to steamroll him.

" The work of the gods is over. "

Comment

We still agree that GT is crap, so I don't see the problem.
                          But do you agree that Blue > four?

Comment

But do you agree that Blue > four?
                            Blue is stronger than four, but I prefer the design (not color scheme) and concept of SSJ4. Blue only has the aura to make it ''cooler''-looking than the latter.

Comment

Boring ass episode, had some QUALITY as well
                              Also;
                              >MUH CABBA
                              Kinda liked how Goku used some "tactics/strategy", though

Honestly, the exempt GoDs should talk more often (instead of U7, U11, Vados, and Anat), this is fucking tedious.

Comment

Jesus Christ, the Vegeta/Cabba dynamic could have been something interesting back in the U6 arc but now AFTER it was wasted, Toei wants to force the end-result down our throats without any of the development? Fuck that garbage.
                                Originally posted by #83.6666666667 ;n457904
                                Most of the German population is Catholic, but the majority is Protestants.

Comment

Am I the only one who's gotten tired of Super talking down to its audience through the spectators pointing out totally obvious information?

Animation and art were lackluster at many points.

Respect to 17 for coming up with a decently clever plan for taking out Toppo.

So, how is strong is Vegeta's asspulled form? If it's merely as strong SSB Kaioken Goku, then he's still inferior due to the latter's Ultra Instinct.
                                  Last edited by Tenryuunaito; January 13th, 2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

> Vegeta gets new form
                                    > it still can't hold a candle to UI

IT'S NOT FAIR SPACE MANLETBROS!

Originally posted by Darkseeker1379 View Post
                                    So looks like Gohan's gonna have to help Frieza against Dyspo. Frieza might not be able to beat him even with his Golden Form.
                                    this week's episode pretty much confirmed that Dyspo dies the moment Freeza flexes his Golden form
                                    Last edited by DurdenH; January 13th, 2018, 09:52 PM.
                                    Originally posted by #83.6666666667;n457918

That 1/3 is more than ~5% you idiot, but less than 2/3. That makes it most of the population but less than the greatest amount.

Comment

Originally posted by DurdenH View Post
                                      > Vegeta gets new form
                                      > it still can't hold a candle to UI

IT'S NOT FAIR SPACE MANLETBROS!

this week's episode pretty much confirmed that Dyspo dies the moment Freeza flexes his Golden form
                                      And the next episode preview shows that Dyspo has been holding back a shitload of power and is giving both Golden Frieza and Mystic Gohan a run for their money.

" The work of the gods is over. "

Comment

to think vegeta gets to asspull a transformation for once even tho it's still too weak
                                        "Man-milk goes for a lot these days on the Chinese black market. It's a little side gig I wanna get into. This motherfucker looks like he's FILLED with man-milk. You gotta be the one to tell him to take his pants off, though."

Comment

Am I the only one who's gotten tired of Super talking down to its audience through the spectators pointing out totally obvious information?

Animation and art were lackluster at many points.

Respect to 17 for coming up with a decently clever plan for taking out Toppo.

So, how is strong is Vegeta's asspulled form? If it's merely as strong SSB Kaioken Goku, then he's still inferior due to the latter's Ultra Instinct.
                                          They do that to pad the run time out.

OT: Only a little less than 2 months until this freakin tournament is over.

Five Minutes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                          Auto-Saved
                                          x
                                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                          Working...
                                          X